Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will Fergie Buy in January

• 08-11-2005 10:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭

Now That Ferguson has said players will be bought who do you think he will buy? Personally think it will be English based players not involved in Europe,don't think theres many top European players not in Europe. This doesn't leave many options especially as he said he is after experienced players.

Players I would like to see signed are
    Carrick
    Kevin Nolan
    Konchesky

Manchester United boss Sir Alex Ferguson has revealed he will be strengthening his squad in January.
    Ferguson wants United to build on the 1-0 win against Chelsea at Old Trafford which revived their title ambitions.

He said: "What I will be looking to do is increase the squad in January. It's actually numbers we're lacking.

"But you have to dismiss the possibility of getting players from clubs who think they can win the Champions League."

Ferguson added: "That narrows down your options but we're playing the numbers game right now.

"I'm happy with the quality we have but we're relying too much on our younger players at a time when we're missing the experience of Roy Keane, Gary Neville and Gabriel Heinze."

United have been linked with Real Madrid's Thomas Gravesen and Bayern Munich's Michael Ballack, but both clubs are still contesting the Champions League.

In a previous January transfer window Ferguson signed Louis Saha from Fulham, because he needed to avoid players who were still involved in the Champions League.

It could be that he will now look to complete a similar deal for a player already operating in the Premiership, but not involved in Europe.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Possibly Nigel Reo Coker.

Graveson isn't worth the reported 85k GPB he's on at Real but I still think he'd want to match that and that could be a stumbling block for him leaving Spain for any club. Plus he really only had 6 good months in 36 at Goodison, he's very frustrating to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

Will players being cup tied in Europe worry United this season? They may not even make it through to the knockout stages of the CL.

Gravesen might be a decent buy, liked the look of him when he was at Everton. Can't see Ballack ending up at United, there's too much talk of him ending up in Spain or especially Italy for my liking.

Wouldn't like to see Nolan at United to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 930 ✭✭✭-oRnein9-

Dreaming of Ferguson signing Ballack, Gattuso and Reo-Coker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I would go with Graveson, making a move for Ballack but I see Real or some spanish team getting him....Konchesky???????????????????????? cant explain why you would think this!!

No chance of getting Reo-Coker.....hasnt he just signed a new contract?? will only move if West Ham go down....prob a summer move would be better!! still I dont think Fergie will go after him.....

Why does everyone keep mentioning Gattuso for Utd???? is there something I dont know about Gattuso wanting a move to Utd because I think there is no way he is going to move from a club that has the chance to win the league and CL to a club that is in decline!!

Nolan might be an option but I hate him with a passion!! wouldnt declare for Ireland so I have a dislike for him!! no other reason!! people are fickle!! :D

Just to add to the debate, Everton have first option on Gravesen to buy him back from Real at the price we sold him at, 2.5 GBP.

Mind you Gravesens agent is former Manchester United fullback John Sivebaek.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

Carrick
    Kevin Nolan
    Konchesky[/QUOTE]

average,thats all i can say about the above.fergie needs to buy big,players with a proven track record

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

How is Viera doing in Spain, rumour is that he's not as happy as he could be. Fergie has always been an admirer of His so I wouldn't be surprise if he tried get him. I would be very suprised if he came though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

The Muppet wrote:
    How is Viera doing in Spain, rumour is that he's not as happy as he could be. Fergie has always been an admirer of His so I wouldn't be surprise if he tried get him. I would be very suprised if he came though.

you mean italy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

The Muppet wrote:

Cant really see him and RVN playing in the same team following his comments on him in his book.

Papers this morning are saying Aldo Duscher, Ballack, Zokora are the names going around.

Maybe Sir Rednose was just talking about Obi Wan :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

I'm a neutral, but if I had the £40m for United,

I'd buy Duff, Gattuso and Quichaim (?) Real Betis. Get rid of O'Shea and bring in Konchelski or Luke Young.

You'll still need another central defender, but it's midfield that needs addressing first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

county wrote:
    average,thats all i can say about the above.fergie needs to buy big,players with a proven track record
    Show me better players not cup tied in Europe. Carrick and Konchesky are good players. Nolan could do a short term job(wouldn't bother if Scholes recovers form)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

To many average players have come to United in the last 2 years, I think that taking in Nolan, Carrick or Konchesky would only add to that, good players in their own right but would not striker fear into any opposition,

Gattuso or Viera will not go to United, Gravesen, not sure about him. Who else is there, I don't honestly know. No one really impresses me bar Makelel or Essien.

That lad at Ajax said he was off Piernarr? Is he any good.
    Joquain, too much money for him.
    Guti - Is he getting games at real, would he add anything, I am not sure?

Another defender is defo needed and I think if we could get ballack then it would be good business.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

Hopefully he'll go for someone with experience. With all the youth in the team we could do with a few old heads to bring them in the right direction and stop the complacent performances of late. Not another Laurent Blanc though,lol. Can't think of anyone off hand who won't be CL tied though. January is a bad time for players.

deisedevil wrote:
    Can't think of anyone off hand who won't be CL tied though. January is a bad time for players.

Ferguson should be more concerned with players who aren't UEFA cup tied. ;)

yop wrote:
    To many average players have come to United in the last 2 years, I think that taking in Nolan, Carrick or Konchesky would only add to that, good players in their own right but would not striker fear into any opposition,

Gattuso or Viera will not go to United, Gravesen, not sure about him. Who else is there, I don't honestly know. No one really impresses me bar Makelel or Essien.

That lad at Ajax said he was off Piernarr? Is he any good.
    Joquain, too much money for him.
    Guti - Is he getting games at real, would he add anything, I am not sure?

Another defender is defo needed and I think if we could get ballack then it would be good business.

All are no good for CL. He has said he will not be going for Euro Cup tied players.

Bluetonic wrote:
    Ferguson should be more concerned with players who are UEFA cup tied. ;)
    You should be more concerned with checking your facts - irrelevant which Euro competiuon you play in once you play in any :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

Costinha from porto is a good defensive minded midfield player. Andrade also a decent centre back. I would have liked them to get southgate a few years ago but hes probably a bit too old now. Perhaps buy the brazillian Cicinho and move neville to centre back, What do yis think?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I think that fergie should just go ahead and try to get the best players he can regardless to if they are cup tied. He has to go for the players who have proven themselves with top clubs otherwise we'll sign somebody who has been good at a lesser club and then wont cut it at united eg. Forlan,Kleberson,Djemba,Saha, Miller

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

TheMonster wrote:
    You should be more concerned with checking your facts - irrelevant which Euro competiuon you play in once you play in any :p

Lol, ya got there before me. That backfired didn't it.:D

TheMonster wrote:

My comment was for humourous reasons and not for factual reasons!

Still I can sleep safely now knowning that Fergie along with his ProActive sports management friends won't be around Goodison in January. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Big Nelly wrote:
    Nolan might be an option but I hate him with a passion!! wouldnt declare for Ireland so I have a dislike for him!! no other reason!! people are fickle!! :D

They sure are...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

#

http://www.arsenal-mania.com/arsenal/page/articles/title/Vieira%20would%20never%20join%20United/article/781206/

That answers your question.

Utd ill bring in one or two unknowns as was the usual case in the last few years bar Rooney.

Carrick would be a good buy. Arsenal were in for him before he moved to spurs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Fernando Torres would be a good buy and he is not cup tied for Europe. IMO better than Joaquin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

You'd need to break the bank for Torres I reckon.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    You'd need to break the bank for Torres I reckon.

20-30 million and I am not sure where they would play him....Utd dont need attackers....have plenty of them,....need midfielders.....if they get midfielders would free up Smith to move back up front!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think everyone here is assuming that Ferguson will have lots of money to spend when I dont think he will. Also alot of the players being mentioned here will have no interest in going to Man Utd, the bigger ones anyway.

Carrick would be a good buy but he wont leave Spurs. Ballack wont join them either and even if he did through some mad turn of events it wont be until the end of teh season and not in January.
    Utd dont have the money to compete for top players in the Market so they will have to try and find themselves a bargain like they did with Heinze

Kingp35 wrote:
    I think everyone here is assuming that Ferguson will have lots of money to spend when I dont think he will. Also alot of the players being mentioned here will have no interest in going to Man Utd, the bigger ones anyway.

Carrick would be a good buy but he wont leave Spurs. Ballack wont join them either and even if he did through some mad turn of events it wont be until the end of teh season and not in January.
    Utd dont have the money to compete for top players in the Market so they will have to try and find themselves a bargain like they did with Heinze
    Why wouldnt Carrick leave?A big offer might sway Spurs over Carrick - its not as if they are short of midfielders:D

Uts spent nothing of their budget in the summer. There is plenty there if needed.

Kingp35 wrote:
    I think everyone here is assuming that Ferguson will have lots of money to spend when I dont think he will.

On BBC Radio five live this morning they were talking about his transfer kitty being in the region of 25 million (transfers and wages until the end of the season)

TheMonster wrote:
    Why wouldnt Carrick leave?A big offer might sway Spurs over Carrick - its not as if they are short of midfielders:D

Uts spent nothing of their budget in the summer. There is plenty there if needed.

I dont see Carrick leaving....he likes London too much!!! also is getting his game and getting paid well in an up and coming new team....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

carrick is a good player but he isn't a huge improvement on the players that are already there. They need to bring in a top class centre midfielder and a quality centre back

imo ledley king from spurs would be a quality signing

Malranque is another and possibly Biopa Diup (not sure he wouldn'e be another DX2 though)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I'd love to see Fergie go for Juninho from Lyon, I realise there is a very slim (if any) chance of him moving but ya never know.....Think hes the type of player we need for the midfield. Maybe if fergie could offload Saha as part of that deal I dunno...

Not the biggest fan of Aldo Dusher, see he's been mentioned.

Gravesen would be a good player but Everton do have first refusal, wheather he'd want to go back to everton in their current situation I dunno....

Think he needs to bring in 2/3 players, so each fee has to be under 5/6 mil? maybe if gravesen was only 2 mil or so...it'd give him more leeway? Look forward to every player being linked with united now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

county wrote:
    you mean italy

Yes I meant Italy. All the annual Viera to Real stories must have took root in my brain cell.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

johnor wrote:
    Not the biggest fan of Aldo Dusher, see he's been mentioned.

I agree. He is a very average player who I would go as far to say would make their midfield worse than it all ready is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Lads, if you want to buy any of the stars of the current Tottenham team you'd better be prepared to shell out.

Carrick will cost in excess of £10 million.
    King nearer £20 million.

Spurs aren't a selling club any more, and won't be as long as progress is maintained. And why would any of the current XI want to leave? They're part of a young team with a positive management team and a progressive board. Unless we fail to achieve a decent league finish this year, they'll remain happy for some time to come.

Of course, if you're interested in Brown, Mendes, Davis, Bunjevcevic, Reid, Keane or Gardner I'm sure we can come to some arrangement...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Big Nelly wrote:
    I dont see Carrick leaving....he likes London too much!!! also is getting his game and getting paid well in an up and coming new team....

United can offer him something spurs cant. A much inproved chance of breaking into the England team. Players at the bigger clubs seem to get a much bigger slice of the international action....look at Saha as soon as he moved to utd he started to break into french team.

BTW with culchie suggesting if utd had £40 million they could buy Duff....im wondering how? Chelsea would leave him to rot in the reserves rather then sell him to utd for £100 million.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

And sure you can't get Duff, didn't he and Ballack sign for Liverpool over the summer? Or did that turn out to be deluded nonsense as some predicted all along? :)

padser wrote:
    United can offer him something spurs cant. A much inproved chance of breaking into the England team. Players at the bigger clubs seem to get a much bigger slice of the international action....look at Saha as soon as he moved to utd he started to break into french team.

BTW with culchie suggesting if utd had £40 million they could buy Duff....im wondering how? Chelsea would leave him to rot in the reserves rather then sell him to utd for £100 million.

Spurs have 5-6 players already in England squad....more than Utd

padser wrote:

*ahem*

As Nelly said before me, Spurs have five players in the current England squad. Carrick can't get a call up because Sven is still too blinkered to realise that Lampard/Gerrard doesn't work in his preferred 4-4-2, and he's only trying King as the holding midfielder so that he'll have another role to fill in the squad instead of being 4th choice CB.

FFS, he's got Jenas in ahead of Carrick, despite Carrick being 10 times the player JJ is.

Oh, SGE has been at nearly every Spurs game this season IIRC, he was certainly at the last four or five.

What ManYoo can offer Carrick that Spurs can't is CL football, but then maybe he might prefer to stay at a club that showed some faith in his abilities, while others doubted him, for a few seasons (to see where they can go) rather than jump ship at the first sign of a "big" club coming in for him.

And we'll still want £10 million+.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

look at Saha as soon as he moved to utd he started to break into french team.
    I woulda thought that that had something to do with his very good form at the time (which is why manu bought him anyway)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Nolan would be ideal, might even get a good price from Bolton, Nolan could become a top player, exactly the type of player ManU needs right now!.

Viera and Ballack are the big names they should be competing to sign. If ManU are'nt bidding for these players they arent a big club anymore.

Also Ledley King would sort the required 2 quality CB's ManU only have one, and they jury is leaving the building on 120K a week man.

I'd like to see ManU go for Duff but they went half hearted for him when he Left Blackburn, and think theres no way Chelsea would let him go now, Maybe Robben (seems out of favour?)

Maybe Robben (seems out of favour?)

After Betis game Jose wasnt impressed with him walking straight down the tunnel after coming off....Jose seems to prefer Duff to Robben and Wright-Phillips...wat did he call duff again?? Tough cookie or soemthing!!

Chelsea wont sell any of their player to Man Utd. Why would they sell some of their best players to their rival?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Big Nelly wrote:
    After Betis game Jose wasnt impressed with him walking straight down the tunnel after coming off....Jose seems to prefer Duff to Robben and Wright-Phillips...wat did he call duff again?? Tough cookie or soemthing!!

He said that the way Duff came back from injury was "spectacular" and that he was a "special player" before the Betis game.

I'd agree with the opinions above, United may have won on Sunday but I'd still see them as a club in decline when compared to Spurs who are doing a 'Leeds' and buying up pretty much anyone who shows potential (Let's just hope they don't end up with a few Seth Johnsens :))

Therefore I couldn't see Carrick moving.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Chelsea will NEVER sell to Utd or Arsenal. It wouldnt make sense to strenghen your rivals.

Cudicini is a prime example of this.

Ballack seems to be the saviour of Utd for some reason, But why would he go there??
    Munich are a much stronger side then Utd and he can have the pick of pretty much anyteam in the world.

Spurs are an up and coming side and it will take about 15million plus to get Carrick of them.

Fergie will gamble on some unknown forgiener. He wont buy from within the premiership imo. Better deals to be had elsewhere but also greater risks ala forlan, Dx2 etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 958 ✭✭✭Mark

Costinha from porto is a good defensive minded midfield player. Andrade also a decent centre back. I would have liked them to get southgate a few years ago but hes probably a bit too old now. Perhaps buy the brazillian Cicinho and move neville to centre back, What do yis think?

Costinha moved with Maniche to Dinamo Moscow some time ago, and I think Cicinho is set to sign for Real come January.

I'd be in the doubtful camp of Utd just plucking whomever they want off Spurs. As said above, the atmosphere around Spurs, the optimism that they can finally get their act together, will likely preclude any transfers from the first XI barring a massive fee.

Regarding Ballack, keep in mind he's no spring chicken at 29, a long term solution for Roymund still needs to be found. I'm not familiar with his time at Leverkusen where I hear spake he was more defensive than he is now at Munchen, so I don't know he good he is in that role, but he seems too damn good an Attacking Midfielder to be converted. Look at the sexiness of his goal record:
    Season	        Apps	     Goals	Team
    2005 - 2006	9	      5	        Bayern Munich
    2004 - 2005	27	      13        Bayern Munich
    2003 - 2004	28	      7	        Bayern Munich
    2002 - 2003	26	      10        Bayern Munich
    2001 - 2002	29	      17        Bayer Leverkusen
    2000 - 2001	27	      7	        Bayer Leverkusen
    1999 - 2000	23	      3	        Bayer Leverkusen
    1998 - 1999	30	      4	        FC Kaiserslautern
    1997 - 1998	16	      0	        FC Kaiserslautern
    1996 - 1997	34	      10        Chemnitzer
    1995 - 1996	15	      0	        Chemnitzer

I'm guessing he'll buy Zakora and another central midfielder whom I shall ponder over today.

Lemlin wrote:
    who are doing a 'Leeds' and buying up pretty much anyone who shows potential (Let's just hope they don't end up with a few Seth Johnsens :))

there is no need to bring Leeds and one of the worst signings in history into this conversation :v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I'm suprised the amount of people saying Ballack should replace Keane. Ballack is as attacking as Scholes in his prime. He'll never hold the midfield.

Pienaar's off to Celtic. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Kingp35 wrote:
    there is no need to bring Leeds and one of the worst signings in history into this conversation :v:

Just see alot of parallels between the Leeds team O'Leary had and Martin Jol's at Tottenham.

Lemlin wrote:
    Just see alot of parallels between the Leeds team O'Leary had and Martin Jol's at Tottenham.

One glaring difference.

Daniel Levy is no Peter Ridsdale!!! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement