Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will Fergie Buy in January

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

eirebhoy wrote:
    Pienaar's off to Celtic. :)
    If he goes to Celtic, he's an idiot.

De Jong is another of the Ajax players who is available on a free next summer, and he can play anywhere across the defence and midfield. He'd be a good signing for either United or Arsenal, as would Hedwidges Maduro.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,659 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

johnor wrote:
    I'd love to see Fergie go for Juninho ...
    totally agree quality player

perfect replacement for scholes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

Anyone that thinks Carrick wouldn't go to United needs their head examined. Obviously United would have to match whatever Spurs wanted for him which I would imagine would be something OTT to deter any approach.

Who should they sign in January? Don't really know, but a top quality central midfielder is definitely needed. A player who can play box to box. Not somebody like Michael Ballack.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Daniel Levy is no Peter Ridsdale!!! :D

I dont think any chairman could ever be as good at destroying a club as Peter Ridsdale

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

Surprised nobody has mentioned Owen "i got another callup to the English squad, wtf?" Heargreaves as a replacement for Keane. I'm not a fan of his, i dont know why he gets called up by Sven but he always seems/or at least seemed to get linked to the likes of Arsenal/Liverpool/Spurs/Man U. 5million would be enough, maybe less?

Fergie has shown with the signing of EVS that age is not the most important factor in his signings. He has f**ked up with about 5 signings in the past 3 years where he went for potential over ability and it blew up in his face, he needs solutions quick so I think he will go for experience over anything else. He might only get 3 years out of EVS, before replacing him, and probably 4 or 5 out of Ballack if he signs him. Ballack wouldn't be too expensive either, i reckon 8million would be enough if he keeps stalling on a new bayern contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

ballack is number one choice. In my opinion,he is the best attacking midfielder in europe. he is the ideal replacement for scholes, who aint got much in him, though i suspect that is down to form more than age. id also go for somebody like gatusso/diarra/zakora, possibly mascherno as another midfielder. ledly king is another option, as both a defender or a defensive midfielder. also, id like to get a look at chivu, versatile defender. other players possible would be gallas and robben, both players are not happy with set up at chelsea. and before people say that they couldnt see united do business with chelsea, remember, its not long ago since united sold them veron, and didnt bosnich go there too from OT? id rather if united waited until the summer though, id hate to see us waste money on players who are not good enough,some of the players mentioned here already are not good enough, look at the other players that we have signed in the january window, none have worked out as of yet, forlan, saha, miller but to name a few.....this would be my united team for the next 18 months, a time that will see ferguson end his career at OT with one last assault on the title and the CL

GK - van der sar
    RB - neville(captain)
    LB - Heinze
    CB - Ferdinand
    CB - Gallas (3 million)
    RM - Ronaldo
    CM - Ballack(free)
    CM - Mascherno(8 million)
    LM - Robben (10 million)
    FWD - Van Nistelrooy
    FWD - Rooney

other players id keep on from the current panel

browne
    silvestre (just about)
    smith
    park
    rossi
    howard
    giggs (last horah!)

add the following players who would add great strenth to the squad and would not cost that much(funds raised from the sale of the players below)
    casilles is supposed to be nearing his contract as is
    willie sagnol
    gatusso(3 million)
    tevez(10 million)
    cicinho(5 million)

id sell the following players, hoping to raise around 20 million and also free up wages

saha(6 million) some team like villa would pay that for him easy, as would wigan possibly in january?
    o shea- (4 million), again, wigan and villa would be after him as would Liverpool i believe, even spurs in a possible deal with king??
    flethcher - (4 million) - would suit a team like boro/everton
    Fortune(2.5 million)
    Bardsley(2 million) - alot of teams would take his all positive attitude
    Richardson(3.5 million) - let him off to WB

i can see the following players hanging up their boots/not being offered new contracts by a new manager -
    keane
    scholes
    old gunnar

any opinions on this?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

any opinions on this?

Yeah keep dreaming mate. there is no way Utd would be able to sign all those players. Do you honestky think Chelsea would sell them one of the best left wingers out there and their first choice centre/left back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Homerjay you are completely out of touch with reality if you think John O'Shea is worth more than William Gallas.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

any opinions on this?

Ya. Your opinion is worse than an old smelly dogs fart!

O'shea and Fletcher worth more than Gattuso!!!!!
    Come on!

Scholes retiring at 31?

6 million of Saha? You would get more running out of Best Mate! The only crowd foolish enough to pay that would be an insurance company.

Cassilas agreed a new contract.

Robben and Gallas? As if Chelsea would sell some of their best players to Utd.

Cicinho going to Real Madrid.

I could go on and on but there are enough holes in your statements that you would make a good go at a gossip columnist in the Weekly World News.

Do you like naming out every random player under the sun?

[Lads please keep this in perspective. Football is based in reality not a game]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,346 ✭✭✭✭homerjay2005

Kingp35 wrote:
    Yeah keep dreaming mate. there is no way Utd would be able to sign all those players. Do you honestky think Chelsea would sell them one of the best left wingers out there and their first choice centre/left back?

ok so, wait and see, robben will not be at chelsea in september, gallas probably wont either, neither are happy with things there.
    as for the rest of the signings, of course they wont get all of them players, but these are the type of players they need, they can afford them all if they sell the players that i said there. they will definatley sign 4 or 5 players, and remember, i did say over the next 18 months....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

ballack is number one choice. In my opinion,he is the best attacking midfielder in europe. he is the ideal replacement for scholes, who aint got much in him, though i suspect that is down to form more than age. id also go for somebody like gatusso/diarra/zakora, possibly mascherno as another midfielder. ledly king is another option, as both a defender or a defensive midfielder. also, id like to get a look at chivu, versatile defender. other players possible would be gallas and robben, both players are not happy with set up at chelsea. and before people say that they couldnt see united do business with chelsea, remember, its not long ago since united sold them veron, and didnt bosnich go there too from OT? id rather if united waited until the summer though, id hate to see us waste money on players who are not good enough,some of the players mentioned here already are not good enough, look at the other players that we have signed in the january window, none have worked out as of yet, forlan, saha, miller but to name a few.....this would be my united team for the next 18 months, a time that will see ferguson end his career at OT with one last assault on the title and the CL

GK - van der sar
    RB - neville(captain)
    LB - Heinze
    CB - Ferdinand
    CB - Gallas (3 million)
    RM - Ronaldo
    CM - Ballack(free)
    CM - Mascherno(8 million)
    LM - Robben (10 million)
    FWD - Van Nistelrooy
    FWD - Rooney

other players id keep on from the current panel

browne
    silvestre (just about)
    smith
    park
    rossi
    howard
    giggs (last horah!)

add the following players who would add great strenth to the squad and would not cost that much(funds raised from the sale of the players below)
    willie sagnol
    gatusso(3 million)
    tevez(10 million)
    cicinho(5 million)

id sell the following players, hoping to raise around 20 million and also free up wages

saha(6 million) some team like villa would pay that for him easy, as would wigan possibly in january?
    o shea- (4 million), again, wigan and villa would be after him as would Liverpool i believe, even spurs in a possible deal with king??
    flethcher - (4 million) - would suit a team like boro/everton
    Fortune(2.5 million)
    Bardsley(2 million) - alot of teams would take his all positive attitude
    Richardson(3.5 million) - let him off to WB

i can see the following players hanging up their boots/not being offered new contracts by a new manager -
    keane
    scholes
    old gunnar

any opinions on this?

Yeah hop on the unicycle and keep on going!!! gattuso for 3 million? I laughed...seriously.

In fact, everything you have said is complete rubbish. None of it is realistic.

And it is spelled Javier Mascherano

ok so, wait and see, robben will not be at chelsea in september, gallas probably wont either, neither are happy with things there.
    as for the rest of the signings, of course they wont get all of them players, but these are the type of players they need, they can afford them all if they sell the players that i said there. they will definatley sign 4 or 5 players, and remember, i did say over the next 18 months....
    I've tried to resist but I just can't.

Only John Terry has started more games than Gallas at Chelsea this year. Even Cech or Makelele have not played more. He has started as many games as Frank Lampard. How exactly is he unhappy?

Also why would Chelsea sell Gallas to United for as little as £3M? Is there some financial crisis that we have no heard about?

You have even priced Fletcher, O'Shea and Richardson higher than this. You even put Bardsley just £1M off this.

I'm going to stop there before I waste anymore of my time with this utter non-sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

Guttuso going to Man U :D

And costing 3 bloody million :D The same price as David Connolly ffs :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

lol, interesting.
    Gallas for 3 million, thats a price i'd take.

---

I expect two central midfielders who I havn't heard of to be bought in the summer. I'd say he intends to spend about 15 million pounds in total, one on ten million, one on 5.
    People are forgetting that John Obi MIkel is coming in the January transfer window. People might say he wants to go to Chelsea, there is no chance he will be let go without a ****load of money or a player in exchange. That said, I expect him to be hapy at United after two weeks in Carrington.

So we have at least one midfielder coming in in the January.
    So even if we spend 15 million on one player, we'll get two.

Who will he buy? No idea
    I have people I'd like to see bought
    Gattuso has said in the past he is interested in joining United. He is not currently playing non stop in Milan last time I checked(although this is some time ago) He is also great friends with Walter Smith, so inturn United linked more. He is a possibility.

Ballack would be great to get on a free. He would replace Keane in leadership, not in the DMC position. Keane isn't great just cause he is a DMC, he is great due to his leadership.

Maschero I have never seen.

Why are people mentioning defenders or attackers?
    Attackers is just a silly thing to mention, unless its some uber impressive winger.
    Defenders are unlikely to be bought.
    Heinze will be back in like March or April, and a good left back for years.
    Bardsley is looking good, and could take over Neville.
    Ferdinand Slyvester and Brown are good enough to cover the CB positions effectivly.
    It will be a central midfielder, no doubt about it.
    Whether he will be bought or not is unknown.
    Hopefully Fergie will suck it up and buy someone who is cup tied if he is good enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

any opinions on this?

You advise selling all your youth prospects and signing (ridiculously cheap) world-class players? Sounds like a plan to me!

Your valuations are absolutely ridiculous in my opinion.

Also, judging by the fact you mention Javier Mascherano I am going to assume you play Football Manager? Try signing those players you have valued for the prices you have given them...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Also, judging by the fact you mention Javier Mascherano I am going to assume you play Football Manager?
    For sure with player mentioned!!

I like your think HomerJay but I am afraid that even if we got one out of all those players then we wuld be doing well, but hey who knows.
    Gallas will be gone, Robben is turning into a bit of a bee utch and Chelsea could get sick of him but I would expect hell to freeze over than them to sell to United

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

yop wrote:
    For sure with player mentioned!!

I like your think HomerJay but I am afraid that even if we got one out of all those players then we wuld be doing well, but hey who knows.
    Gallas will be gone, Robben is turning into a bit of a bee utch and Chelsea could get sick of him but I would expect hell to freeze over than them to sell to United

Yell have some fight for ballack. but from what i read, they say real madrid are starting to talk to his agent. Will Gallas leave london for manchester?. United have to invest in midfield and it needs to be someone of world class ability. not a kelberson not a djemba dejemba. There solid enough at the back when heinze and neville comes back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

cheesedude wrote:
    Yeah hop on the unicycle and keep on going!!! gattuso for 3 million? I laughed...seriously.

In fact, everything you have said is complete rubbish. None of it is realistic.

Same here, still laughing, that happening would be like someone cheating on championship manager(the game!) Your right about Gallas leaving though, he ain't happy with a while but 3 mill?? and to a rival club?? and gattuso 3mill??(multiply by 10 maybe,lol)
    Anyways i think the midfield is the biggest problem area. No Roy Keane influence at the moment and no one to replace him, that's gotta be the most urgent signing. Scholes is havin a horrible season so far and his performances, especially with keane missing, are allowing other teams to boss the centre of the field.
    Ever since Beckham left United are blatently missing his crosses and free kicks and DECENT corners(so bloody sick of seein em given to a goalie or not beating first defenders) RVN must be missin Beckham terribly too, remember all the great crosses Beckham swung in front of him for him to be there with another well positioned tap in.(nothing wrong with tap ins if ur always there for em) If Fergie was gone he might come back? Wat a twat but i'm startin to miss him.(the becks cole and yorkie days were great, how they tortured defences)
    Anyone else getting worried that Ronaldo has gone well off the boil, he ain't gettin by players like he used to,not scoring,not giving good crosses. Just a bit worried his confidence is shot.
    I think Park and Giggs for the left ain't too bad, Park has bags of potential and Giggs is great cover to have, seems to play better when he's left on the bench for a while,lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I think we do need more attacking players at united, our goal tallies for the past 2 and a half seasons have been really low. Even in the good old days when united were winning leagues and cups we'd always conceed goals but we'd get 2/3 goals at home so it didnt matter if we let 1 in. Now we cant score to save our life and once we conceed teams make it impossible! As I said before a creative force like Juninho at Lyon would be ideal in my opinion, Scholes isnt preforming creatively like he used to. I think if fergie is to continue playing three centre mids he needs to bring two quality mids in to push the current ones on. I'd splash 8/9 mil on Juninho and try and get a bargin defensive midfielder for 2/3 mill. If he can offload Fortune, Miller and Saha maybe he could try to spend a bit more, wouldnt say he has more than 10-14 mil.

I wouldnt worry too much about the left back, if they do decide to buy in for the left back slot they could always push Heinze into the centre when he returns, god knows we could do with a bit of grit in there anyhow..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,064 ✭✭✭BKtje

I personally think Park aint much good on the left. He looks much better on the right.

I have no idea who they going to buy and i aint gonna get sucked into maybes as ill just be annoyed if they dont get im/them. I just hope to god its someone good :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

johnor wrote:
    I think we do need more attacking players at united, our goal tallies for the past 2 and a half seasons have been really low. Even in the good old days when united were winning leagues and cups we'd always conceed goals but we'd get 2/3 goals at home so it didnt matter if we let 1 in. Now we cant score to save our life and once we conceed teams make it impossible!

I agree but its down to very poor finishing on the part of everyone. Ruuds absence was a huge loss last season and I think we will see him get 20-30 again this season. But even he missed a great chance on Sunday. As for Ronaldo, he is the worst finisher at the club and for an attacking player that is criminal.

Last season United had the highest number of corners, shots off target and shots on target in the league. It was very poor finishing that cost them. Just think back to that Fulham away game when they destroyed Fulham in the first half, missed a hat full of chances but only scored one. And then that man mountain scored a fluke from 40 yards in injury time.:D

There were a lot of games last season before xmas where finishing left them down and if Ruud had been playing they would have scored maybe 15 more goals in the league. Still would not have won it but probably would have come second.

Improved finishing = Better results = Challenge for something. Anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Surprised nobody has mentioned Owen "i got another callup to the English squad, wtf?" Heargreaves as a replacement for Keane. I'm not a fan of his, i dont know why he gets called up by Sven but he always seems/or at least seemed to get linked to the likes of Arsenal/Liverpool/Spurs/Man U. 5million would be enough, maybe less?
    Hargreaves is a left winger, that's why he gets the English call up so much. Definitely not a replacement for Keane.
    any opinions on this?
    Eh lemme see? I've a nice shiney €10 note that I'll swap you for a €20 note? Wanna meet up and do the swap?

B.

bucks73 wrote:
    I agree but its down to very poor finishing on the part of everyone. Ruuds absence was a huge loss last season and I think we will see him get 20-30 again this season. But even he missed a great chance on Sunday. As for Ronaldo, he is the worst finisher at the club and for an attacking player that is criminal.

Last season United had the highest number of corners, shots off target and shots on target in the league. It was very poor finishing that cost them. Just think back to that Fulham away game when they destroyed Fulham in the first half, missed a hat full of chances but only scored one. And then that man mountain scored a fluke from 40 yards in injury time.:D

There were a lot of games last season before xmas where finishing left them down and if Ruud had been playing they would have scored maybe 15 more goals in the league. Still would not have won it but probably would have come second.

Improved finishing = Better results = Challenge for something. Anything.

Couldn't agree more! Was so frustrating watchin the Fulham v Man U last year, we threw away so many points just based on poor finishing alone. Buckets of chances last season and f-all goals compared to other seasons. Ronaldo is a very poor finisher, RVN isn't the clinical finisher he used to be and Rooney isn't getting all that many goal scoring oportunities because he is being used to create them. So what does it come down to, poor training?

Finishing isnt really something you can work on in training. Bit like penalties. Anyone can do it in training but in pressure situations its a lot different. Most coaches or managers will tell strikers going through a bad patch to make sure you get the ball on target and work the keeper. After that anything can happen whereas if a player is consistently blasting the ball over or wide then he will never score. Low, hard and work the keeper. Simple.:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

deisedevil wrote:
    RVN isn't the clinical finisher he used to be
    I shouldn't even quote this nonsense. Slight dry-spell in the last couple of games, but the whole team has been under par. Does that mean he's finished? Don't you remember him scoring in the first 6/7 games of the season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Rollo Tamasi

BaZmO* wrote:
    Hargreaves is a left winger, that's why he gets the English call up so much. Definitely not a replacement for Keane.

Is Owen Hargreaves not a central midfielder? I've never seen him play on the wing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 460 ✭✭dcarroll

Is Owen Hargreaves not a central midfielder? I've never seen him play on the wing!
    He is, Ze Roberto plays on the left wing for Bayern

BaZmO* wrote:

He is a central midfielder. Sven playing him on the left shows just what an muppet he is.

I shouldn't even quote this nonsense. Slight dry-spell in the last couple of games, but the whole team has been under par. Does that mean he's finished? Don't you remember him scoring in the first 6/7 games of the season?

What the hell are you talking about?? Who said he was finished?? I didn't anyways! His finishing HASN'T been as good and his touch isn't as good as it was the season before last and previous seasons to that where he was scoring on average almost a goal a game in the champs league! Doesn't mean he's finished just that at present he's still a bit rusty. Surely if you have been watchin Utd's games this season you'd know his first touch is still a bit off and his finishing ain't as hot as it used to be!(better than last season after the injury though!) I was giving reasons why Utd's form has dipped and that's another valid reason!(Not the only reason but part of the problem!!!!) He hasn't scored in 6 games.He has scored 9 goals in 18 games overall, most of them as you said coming at the start of the season. He's FAR from finished though. The point that was being made is that Utd are not the force they were up front last year and now into this year aswell.ps I hate to have to quote nonsense too!!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭whacker4fun

tevez for 10 million,thats a complete joke,never going to happe as much as i would like it.
    Hes maybe the next maradona, but people also think messi from barca is the next god but i think well be lucky 2 ever see a player of his genuis again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

deisedevil wrote:
    What the hell are you talking about?? Who said he was finished?? I didn't anyways! His finishing HASN'T been as good and his touch isn't as good as it was the season before last and previous seasons to that where he was scoring on average almost a goal a game in the champs league! Doesn't mean he's finished just that at present he's still a bit rusty. Surely if you have been watchin Utd's games this season you'd know his first touch is still a bit off and his finishing ain't as hot as it used to be!(better than last season after the injury though!) I was giving reasons why Utd's form has dipped and that's another valid reason!(Not the only reason but part of the problem!!!!) He hasn't scored in 6 games.He has scored 9 goals in 18 games overall, most of them as you said coming at the start of the season. He's FAR from finished though. The point that was being made is that Utd are not the force they were up front last year and now into this year aswell.ps I hate to have to quote nonsense too!!!:D

Maybe you should start watching the Utd games...the reason RVN isnt scoring as many is because of the way Utd are playing and not because he is "rusty" as you say!! gas the way Utd fans blame RVN for there problems....Utd have changed there formation and the way they attack in the last 2 years....have changed from 4-4-2 and belting the ball into the box from all angles(when RVN was scoring for fun) to a more patience build up(ak european) and more suited to Rooney!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

RVN is the only player in the United team who could get into a world 11.
    He is a world class striker, who still manages to score a ****load without getting great service.
    If he was at Barca, he'd score 50 goals a year, so if you're a united fan, be ****ing greatful that he is willing to stay at United despite their waining fortunes, cause if he wanted to leave, there are about fifty clubs who would jump for him in a second.

utd have never replaced beckham,he was a great supplier of crosses for van the man. That has stopped since he left,ronaldo needs to cross more and park.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

utd have never replaced beckham,he was a great supplier of crosses for van the man. That has stopped since he left,ronaldo needs to cross more and park.

I was just about to post that. After Beckham left Utd., RVN's goal count dropped significantly due to the quality service provided, something Ronaldo has lacked.

B.

He had improved but with the death of his father and that rape allegation hanging over him its understandable why hes lacked quality for utd this season.
    At the ned of last year he had stopped beating his man 5 times and started beating him just the once then crossing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

PHB wrote:
    RVN is the only player in the United team who could get into a world 11.
    He is a world class striker, who still manages to score a ****load without getting great service.
    If he was at Barca, he'd score 50 goals a year, so if you're a united fan, be ****ing greatful that he is willing to stay at United despite their waining fortunes, cause if he wanted to leave, there are about fifty clubs who would jump for him in a second.

Ruud ahead of Rooney? Youve got to be having a laugh.

Possibly both of them but in my opinion Rooney is the best thing utd have going for them and they should seek to build a team around him. The boy is unnaturally gifted.

Hate to be a pedant as well but its "grateful" and not "greatful".

Big Nelly wrote:
    Maybe you should start watching the Utd games...the reason RVN isnt scoring as many is because of the way Utd are playing and not because he is "rusty" as you say!! gas the way Utd fans blame RVN for there problems....Utd have changed there formation and the way they attack in the last 2 years....have changed from 4-4-2 and belting the ball into the box from all angles(when RVN was scoring for fun) to a more patience build up(ak european) and more suited to Rooney!!!

For gods sake, i know he's not getting the usual service, i already posted something bout that and the fact that he is badly missing all the ball Beckham put his way. It's not RVN's fault alone that Utd have dropped form but HE DOESN'T have the same first touch he used to have and is missing some chances he would previously have put away in his sleep. I'm very grateful that we have RVN and i ain't getting down on him. All i said was he isn't as sharp as he was and HE ISN'T!! i have missed bout maybe 3 of man u's games so far this season by the way so i have seen plenty!
    It's not RVN's fault utd are doing so poorly!! someone posted that we weren't getting as much goals as we used to in previous seasons to last season and that's right there isn't as many goals coming, i gave a few reasons why over last season and the season so far that they might not be scoring as much and that was just one, ruud was a bit off form(can't be denied) some muppet decided to make a big deal of it as if i was saying Ruud was finished(c rap!!!) I NEVER SAID THAT. Mountain out of a fekcin molehill tbh!!
    Let it go.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Big Nelly wrote:

I agree with you but then you have to ask the question should United be playing tactics that does not suit Ruuds game or ishould they cash in now with his value still high and buy someone that is more suited to the tactics United now employ?

I don't know the answer to that myself as RVN is a fantastic player but it is a consideration.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

RVN's first touch has definately deserted him and beckham's crosses won't fix that. Also, he is far from as clinical as he used to be. I've seen alot of clear chances just blazed over, or he'd just miss hit the ball completely, this season. He now needs about 3/4 good chances before he can score. Not the Rudd of old.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I was looking at RVN's stats in one of those free papers they're giving out these days and all his stats are getting better with every season (shot success, etc.). He's just not getting the service.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

willie sagnol
    gatusso(3 million)
    tevez(10 million)
    cicinho(5 million)

i

Been playing a lot of Fm2006 or something?
    You're valuation of those players might be about that mark but thier clubs would certainly value them a lot more highly!

Gatausso for 3 million? what planet do you live on?
    If any team were to try sign Reno they would have to pay atleast €15m.
    Corinthians have more money than united could dream of, thier new owners are insanely rich, they are now a buying club, infact they are trying to create the best club in the world in south america (thier words not mine) and they value Tevez at over €30m and Mascherano at more than €15m

As for Cicinho, he is already Reals.

eirebhoy wrote:
    I was looking at RVN's stats in one of those free papers they're giving out these days and all his stats are getting better with every season (shot success, etc.). He's just not getting the service.

I wasn't aware of that. Ruud does not really create his own chances and sometimes I wonder would United do better with a Henry type player that can create goals for himself and others.

If you look back at last season when Ruud was injured United went on a great run which dried up when he returned to the team. It was said at the time that it was due to a lack of match fitness but even now he is still not as prolific as he once was. I'm not convincedthat a lack of service is the only reason for that.

I still think he is one of the best striker on the planet but sometimes I wonder whether he is the right type of player given the tactical change United have made to their game over the last few seasons.

Van Nistelrooy has 8 league goals in 11 league apperences this season. That makes him the second highest scorer in the league, highest scoring striker. Why on earth are people complaining about his goal rate this season? That is incredible, and as good a ratio, in fact better, than he's ever had in the league I'd say.

The Muppet wrote:
    I still think he is one of the best striker on the planet but sometimes I wonder whether he is the right type of player given the tactical change United have made to their game over the last few seasons.
    RVN is probably the best possible type of striker to play in this lone striker role flanked by two wingers which is all the rage these days. He is strong, holds the ball up well, and a poacher. He is not there to dazzle with skill. He is there to do a job.

I would bet that Jose Mourinho would kill to have RVN at Chelsea.

I would bet that Jose Mourinho would kill to have RVN at Chelsea.

I agree and he would score lot's for them with the service he would get from their creative midfield and wingers. As I said I,m not doubting his ability or scoring record (he is a fantastic player ), Just whether he is suited to Uniteds current system.

• Advertisement

IMO the 4-3-3 sytem is the root of all their problems. 4-4-2 is the only way to go.

Suits Ruud, suits Rooney and suits playing two wingers which will promote a more attacking style and therefore create more chances.

Fergie and Queerarse changed to this system to suit Roy in his old age. I dont agree with this because even though he is getting on he is still better than most midfielders playing in england and is still able to play well in a 4 man midfield.

And the fact that he is not even playing at the moment means they can not use this argument. IMO the best attacking display this season has been the Fulham away game when Park and Giggs played wide and Ruud and Roney were up front with Rooney given the free role he excels in. He had a superb game and they looked more potent than in any other game and only Rios crap defending gave Fulham a sniff.

Another point from that game was that Ronaldo did not start. No wasted crosses or passes and two wide players who also worked back.

Stick to 4-4-2 Fergie and get that rid of that muppet beside you. Mike Phelan for No.2.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

A 422 formation especially suits the wingers. Man U need players like park, ronaldo and giggs to run at defenders with the ball. When they play 433, every time the wingers get the ball they are already in advanced positions with nowhere to run. Stick them in a 422 formation and they have the room to do what they know best, beat full backs and whip balls in for Ruud(and hope he doesn't miss).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,304 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Culchie wrote:
    I'm a neutral, but if I had the £40m for United,

I'd buy Duff, Gattuso and Quichaim (?) Real Betis. Get rid of O'Shea and bring in Konchelski or Luke Young

and which two of those are the two you'd get for free?

The Muppet wrote:
    I agree and he would score lot's for them with the service he would get from their creative midfield and wingers. As I said I,m not doubting his ability or scoring record (he is a fantastic player ), Just whether he is suited to Uniteds current system.

But he has been the most prolific striker in the premier league this season...:confused:

Why are people arguing with his goals ratio this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,057 ✭✭✭TheMonster

A 422 formation especially suits the wingers. Man U need players like park, ronaldo and giggs to run at defenders with the ball. When they play 433, every time the wingers get the ball they are already in advanced positions with nowhere to run. Stick them in a 422 formation and they have the room to do what they know best, beat full backs and whip balls in for Ruud(and hope he doesn't miss).
    agree for most premiership teams this is enough - but not against top CL teams. They will destroy you playing 4-4-2.

• Advertisement
Advertisement