Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Who will Fergie Buy in January

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

TheMonster wrote:
    agree for most premiership teams this is enough - but not against top CL teams. They will destroy you playing 4-4-2.

TBH the 4 3 3 we are now playing in not doing very well in europe either. I would rather United concentrated on the premiership and played their best formation for that (442 IMO). If thats does not win us the CL that doesn't bother me as the premiership is the main priority for me.

I appreciate thats not going to happen as the rewards for winning the CL are so great but I think a Premiership win and a run to the quarter/semi finals of Europe would be just as lucrative and a lot more enjoyable for the fans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

I agree. I would rather see them win the league than the CL. If they put in a decent challenge every season in Europe then once in a while they might win it but as Bill Shankly said the league is your bread and butter.

Plus they did ok in 99 playing 4-4-2 so why cant they do it again with the right players?

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'd say Stilian Petrov could be a good bet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,144 ✭✭✭gracehopper

I think when united play the 4-3-3 that their opponents will always fancy themselves to get a result, the 3 in midfield are not really good enough to pose a threat and if the Rooney,Ronaldo, RVN can be marked then they'll get a result, i've seen teams like everton, blackburn, spurs double up on the 2 wingers and RVN then gets nothing. With the 4-4-2 i think United can take it to the're opponents a bit more and theres more room for rooney to get his game together, i agree that Keane still has enough to play in the 4-4-2, i think the team has been damaged by the fact that he cant play in all the games, the other players in midfield depend on him so much to clean up for them and this is evident when he's missing. Realistically with the signings i'd say United will get Zakora in january i'd like to see them buy a decent centre half like Mat upson or ledly King i think another english centre back would make Rio more comfortable

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

I've noticed when they do play 433 in europe, especially towards the end of matches, the 3 in the midfield are totally skipped out and most of the time are not even looking for the ball. The ball keeps being blasted from defence to the 3 up front. Chelsea don't do this when they play 433. Now wether this is what ferguson/quiroz want is up to opinion but it doesn't seem to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

The Muppet wrote:
    As I said I,m not doubting his ability or scoring record (he is a fantastic player ), Just whether he is suited to Uniteds current system.
    My point was though that RVN is probably the best suited player to play a lone striker role in the Premiership. He has all the attributes required.

Chelsea and United play somewhat similar systems, hence why Mourinho would love to have him.

If United were to revert back to a 4-4-2 they would need to buy another top class central midfielder who is capable of playing box to box. Neither Scholes nor Keane have the engines to do that anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

4-3-3 is the future of football in my opinion with wide 2 men. But you can't expect to play it and play it well when you have a few clowns in the middle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭Ruskie4Rent

Just wait and soon chelsea will be in for him too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

is this zakora lad really that good?

or is he just another djemba-djemba?

• Advertisement

mchurl wrote:
    is this zakora lad really that good?

or is he just another djemba-djemba?

dont really know too much about him, st etienne want 10m for him, does anyone know if zokora is worth this??? I dont think fergie can afford to make another mistake the way he did with djemba djemba + Kleberson, sure didnt djemba djemba play well in the french league

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

The only player that could have come near to replacing Roy would have been Essien and we all know where he went, its just a sign of united being unable to compete with Chelsea off the pitch and on it.. Same story with Robben.. A few yrs ago before United let if slip, United were the number one choice for any player.. Shame..
    Looks like United have reply on signing unknowns and as we all know Fergie hasnt been anywhere as succesful as Wenger at this, even as much as we hate to admit it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

shepthedog wrote:
    its just a sign of united being unable to compete with Chelsea off the pitch and on it..

Sun 6/11/05
    Manchester United 1 Chelsea 0

;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

SteM wrote:
    Sun 6/11/05

;)

One game dont mean anything mate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,589 ✭✭✭✭Necronomicon

shepthedog wrote:
    The only player that could have come near to replacing Roy would have been Essien and we all know where he went
    Knee-jerk reaction if I ever saw one....he's not even half way through his first season in the Premiership. He's not the last good midfielder in the world. Besides, he still has plenty to prove before he merits all of these Keane comparisons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭shepthedog

SteM wrote:
    Sun 6/11/05

;)

I'm a united fan so i dont need reminding of our sole good victory this season, as next post said one result does not mean anything..
    Do u want to check out the league table or who premier champs are??

As for Essien, he shows all the raw potential keane had back 9 yrs ago, Keane has no doubt been one of best mids of all time but its time to look for a replacement, its not fair on keane or the team to be putting such emphasis and reliance on him when hes struggling..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,896 ✭✭✭SteM

shepthedog wrote:
    I'm a united fan so i dont need reminding of our sole good victory this season, as next post said one result does not mean anything..
    Do u want to check out the league table or who premier champs are??
    Kingp35 wrote:
    One game dont mean anything mate.

FFS lighten up lads, you could see I was having a joke :rolleyes:

@ shepthedog - Essien does have raw talent but at £26 mill or whatever was hugely overpriced. Keanes purchase was a gamble at the time considering his price but that's nothing compred to what Essien went for.

Ah bo**ocks i was hoping for ballack!!

The excuse Fergie gave was that ballack is too much like scholes or Rooney, i think he's lying. More like a combination of Ballack not wanting to go to United and ferguson not wanting to pay him 5m million a year, What do yis think???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Ah bo**ocks i was hoping for ballack!!

The excuse Fergie gave was that ballack is too much like scholes or Rooney, i think he's lying. More like a combination of Ballack not wanting to go to United and ferguson not wanting to pay him 5m million a year, What do yis think???

Guilam Balaga or however you spell it that works with Sky had it that Ballack is gone to Madrid....now he is mostly right....says Ballack didnt want to move to Utd because they aint a good enought team for him!! also the Keane thing didnt help!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement