Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Young Driver, first car, couple questions...

Options
  • 08-11-2005 10:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Everyone seems to know their stuff on the motors boards so im hoping you will be able to give me a bit of advice...

Im a 22 yr old male just moved to dublin, In Jan/Feb im gonna buy my first car. Ive been driving for 3 years now without any points or claims but with provisional license. Im due to do my test in a few weeks, Im only gonna buy the car if i pass the test.

What car should I go for? Im thinking a golf 1.4 / focus / leon / almera ....

Insurance wise how much will I be looking at for the above cars? How much should I be prepared to spend? Im thinking about 10,000 inc tax,insurance and car, with this in mind , what year car will I be looking at? 1999?

Thanks for help.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Have a look at carzone.ie, buyandsell.ie, autotrader.ie etc and you will get an idea of the prices for various cars.

Given your age, newly licenced (hopefully) and with 3 years experience, you could still pay a large whack for insurance. Best to decide on a car, e.g. 1.4 bog standard focus from 1999 and ring up about 10 or 15 insurance companys to get a range of quotes.
    Also ask what you get with each quoted policy, e.g. excess, windscreen cover, etc.
    Are you living in Dublin full time or is your non-Dublin address useable? I presume you are from down the country somewhere. If you can use this address, it may reduce your policy. Have you a g/f or b/f? Often putting them on your policy can reduce the quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

kbannon wrote:
    Have you a g/f or b/f? Often putting them on your policy can reduce the quote.

Are you serious about that? putting my gf on policy can reduce quote!? thats crazy.... also yup I could use my parents address, hopefully that would reduce price, as for car, which of the 4 I mentioned would you think best for

A. Insurance
    B. Resale value
    C. Best Car

• Registered Users Posts: 6,315 ✭✭✭ballooba

If you don't use the address at which you reside and where you keep the car, then technically you are uninsured.

When you fill out your insurance proposal you excercise something called 'utmost good faith' in that the details you are filling in are true. If you put down a false address then you are not excercising utmost good faith and your insurance policy is null and void.

Putting gf on your policy on the other hand is perfectly fine AFAIK. May reduce your policy if she has been driving longer, has better NCB etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭5500

Fingers crossed if you pass the test then apply for the ignition scheme,if you pass that and then take into account your NCB(have you had your own policy or was that as a named driver under a parent ect?) you should have fairly cheap insurance.

Adding an additional driver can reduce the insurance risk and therefore the quotation price. Its not guarranteed though.
    As for your parents address, just be sure this doesn't invalidate your insurance anyhow.

As for the car - I'll let someone else guess this.

• Advertisement

Right when im ringing for quotes il check if any of them allow me to use my parents address as I will be going back and forth from there a lot. Its a pity its not australia and your insured by just having petrol in the tank :(

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Putting down an address that the car does not reside for most of the week will void your insurance. If you have an accident and they can prove you don't live at the address full time you will not be covered.

I went with Axa with my first insurance on a 1.6 and they were the best. They only take 3 years previous as a named driver consideration.

As was said above also take into consideration what the insurance company is offering and ring around. It's well worth it ;)

Don't fcking ask them something like that - you won't get a correct answer. Where will the car be most of the time? Down the bog or up in the big smoke? Make a decision based on that!

haha ok - it will up in the big shmoke so!

about the car...... anyone any comments on which one? im looking for something as hassle free as possible!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Whats your budget for this car?

• Advertisement

10,000 inc insurance and tax, lookin at '98? '99?

Just glancing at carzone.ie, a 1999 1.4 focus ranges from €4995 to €9950.
    Annual road tax for a 1.4 is 292/313 (depending on whetehr it goes over 1400cc),
    As fo rinsurance, pick any number, double it...

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

tw0nk wrote:

Do you need a 1.4? If the answer is "not really", you might save yourself a lot of money by sticking to a 1.0 for a few years while building up your NCB. I know it sounds boring, but it is only slightly more boring than above 1.4 cars

• Closed Accounts Posts: 97 ✭✭BME

Quinn Direct ask you for "the adress where the vehicle would be parked for at least 3/4 nights of the week" and this would be your main policy address..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

tw0nk wrote:
    Its a pity its not australia and your insured by just having petrol in the tank :(

Dunno where you got this from.. I've driven in Australia and you most certainly do need insurance :confused:

Having just got your licence and being male and your age, expect to pay over 2,500 for insurance on a 1.4.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

Big Balls wrote:
    Dunno where you got this from.. I've driven in Australia and you most certainly do need insurance :confused:

Having just got your licence and being male and your age, expect to pay over 2,500 for insurance on a 1.4.
    As someone who got insured at 23 on a provisional with no experense at all, I can say you'll get it a lot cheaper then €2,500. Mine was €2,000 on a 1.4 through Britton insurance. Quinn would probably be cheaper, but if you go with them make damn sure you don't crash ;)

ah cool,i was hoping to get below 2000, especially with 3 years no claims even though its on a prov license.

right, thanks for all the help everyone, hopefully now il pass the test :), i might be back with more questions!....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 351 ✭✭declanoneill

If you do pass the test you might be able to get a quote closer to €1,500. I passed my test one month after getting insured and got ~€500 back.

Advertisement