Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Will i be charged customs?

• 08-11-2005 11:10am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭

Ive just purchased something on ebay!.. The item is coming from Tokyo and it cost me €150 altogether including postage and packing!

Does anyone know if i will be charged import duty/customs on the item??

I bought something from the states a few weeks ago and was charged €54 by the postman at the door!! ughhhh :rolleyes:

Anyone know if i will get charged with items from Tokyo? Or is it just the States???

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Yes. Customs charges are on any packages above a stated value of €49 (IIRC) that originate from outside the EU.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

As a rule of thumb, anything imported from outside the EU is liable for customs/tax/VAT. Some couriers will automatically calculate it and won't give you the parcel till you pay. WIth the post it's hit and miss (just like delivery :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭*Lees*

Thanks!!.. Damn.... thought it was just with the states!!! grrrr :mad:

Thanks a mill anyway!!!

I just emailed the guy asking him to write gift on the package!!!

mwoahahah <evil laugh>

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

email and ask to mark as a gift of low value. it is not worth customs time to charge on items under a certain value. items marked gift with combined post and declared value of under €45 are exempt. (I am 90% sure, check www.revenue.ie).
    though bang goes your insurance if lost

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

lisamon wrote:
    I just emailed the guy asking him to write gift on the package!!!

mwoahahah <evil laugh>
    Doesn't matter. They go by stated declarations of value, and couldn't give a monkey's whether it's a gift or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

WizZard wrote:
    Doesn't matter. They go by stated declarations of value, and couldn't give a monkey's whether it's a gift or not
    it does, I think the limit is €22 or 25 for items not marked as a gift, it is on the revenue site. but i dont think they stick to it much.

Advertisement