Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good beginners telescope

Options
  • 08-11-2005 12:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Looking for advice on buying a telescope..

Anyone? :D

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Apart from telling you to look back on previous posts on these boards ( :p ), try www.irishastronomy.org as well!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

What budget ?

If you can't afford a quality telescope then get a good pair of binoculars instead of a cheapo "toy" one. Lidl have one for about €70 every so often. And on occasion Lidl/Aldi do binoculars for about €20-30 - avoid the zoom ones, they did some Meade ones a while back which were well worth €20.

Avoid anything that is sold on basis of it's magnification.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

Seanie M wrote:
    Apart from telling you to look back on previous posts on these boards ( :p ), try www.irishastronomy.org as well!

C'mon Seanie - post the direct links :p

Here's a quick guide to buying a first scope.

Here's a better one but it's a bit hard to read online - I'd print it out personally.

And here's a thread I started back in March which contains some excellent advice.

Three questions you need to ask yourself are:

How much?
    What for?
    Will I use it?

And then refer to the advice in the three links above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

Simply put - no. Don't trust any scope that promises 250x magnification or anything like that. Lidl usually do a good one before Christmas as well for about the same price. I'll post here if I see it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,893 ✭✭✭Kersh

Especially if its an 'astrology' telescope...:rolleyes: ... dont go near it, it will dishearten you. Read the threads macros referred to, and see if ya still want one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Seanie M

Macros42 wrote:
    C'mon Seanie - post the direct links :p

Sorry Steve, guess I'm slipping a bit in the ole PR of IFAS! (though thats not my job anyway!) :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭albertw

Seanie M wrote:
    Sorry Steve, guess I'm slipping a bit in the ole PR of IFAS! (though thats not my job anyway!) :D

That can be arranged you know :-)

albertw wrote:
    That can be arranged you know :-)

hehehe - he walked into that one didn't he :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Lidl have one for €49.99 tomorrow (Sunday):
    • 262.5x astrology telescope
    • 114cm aluminium tripod with Alt-Azimuth mount
    • Objective lens 60mm
    • Focal length 700mm
    • 4 eyepieces: 4mm/9mm/12.5mm/20mm
    • 1.5 erecting eyepiece
    • Finderscope 6 x 25mm
    • Diagonal viewer
    • Screwdriver
    • Moon filter
    • Compass
    • Space map
    • Cybersky CD
    • Instruction manual
    • Carry case
    Picture here

• Advertisement

Shamrok - that's the Aldi one that we're already talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭Is1ldur

I was in Aldi earlier and saw this. Is it any good as a first scope? Is the size reasonable?? Objective lens 60mm, Focal length 700mm, and will I get reasonable views of the moon or even planets??

Forgot to note, Aldi also have some Zoom bino's 10-30*60, and Lidl are doing what look like a reasonable pair next Monday; http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20051128.p.Binoculars

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,400 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Is1ldur wrote:
    Forgot to note, Aldi also have some Zoom bino's 10-30*60, and Lidl are doing what look like a reasonable pair next Monday; http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home.nsf/pages/c.o.20051128.p.Binoculars
    The 60 Aldi binocs are €20 and have moving parts so you won't be getting stable optics. 60mm means I'd half think of making a spectrometer from them and ignoring the whole focusing thing.

Hang on for the Lidl scopes , worth the wait if they get the same ones in again.

Anyone know if the Lidl Binoculars are the rebadged meade ones ? - if so then a no brainer at €19.99

Just saw these also on the UK Lidl site..

http://www.lidl.ie/ie/home_ni.nsf/pages/c.o.20051128.p.Opera

:D

I can imagine arriving at an Astronomy Ireland get-together with them proclaiming to be a n00b...

Anyone know if the Lidl Binoculars are the rebadged meade ones ? - if so then a no brainer at €19.99

They're Bresser's with Bak-4 prisms. Should be just as good.

Advertisement