Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Recommend me a good GPS for a taxi driver!!!

Options
  • 08-11-2005 12:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭

Hi folks,

The aul fella is having a career change. He has decided that since he is such a bad driver and doesn't know how to use a roundabout and he doesn't know what them white lines in the road are that he might as well become a taxi driver.

However, he wants to get one of them decent GPS thingies to stick on the dash board for when he ventures over to the dark side (south side).

Thanks for your input in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

There is a new compact one out now from Garmin, I think. These were typically quite expensive but I believe this is cheaper. I read it last week in a mag, so I'll see if I can dig it out again !

I reckon the cheapest way is to buy one from either ALDI ( they come up from time to time) or go onto eBay and search for an Ipaq, some Naveteq software and a GPS aerial. You could have a system up and running for about €350 !

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bloke

<methinks of audible instructions emitted by Dublin taxi GPS system>

"Straddle white line between second and third lanes"
    "Brake suddenly and turn left. Do not signal"
    "gradually drift into neighbouring lane while slowing for no apparent reason"
    "Pass any cold/wet looking potential male passengers"
    "arrive at destination: Girl in a short skirt. Remember to leave roof sign on after picking up fare to give false hop to remaining cold/wet males."
    "wait for approaching traffic before pulling out in front. Remember not to signal to add to the surprise"

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

bloke wrote:
    <methinks of audible instructions emitted by Dublin taxi GPS system>

"arrive at destination: Girl in a short skirt. Remember to leave roof sign on after picking up fare to give false hop to remaining cold/wet males."
    "wait for approaching traffic before pulling out in front. Remember not to signal to add to the surprise"
    Do you have anything to recommend to the poster .. No ..

You have been reported inciting racial hatred against Taxi Drivers ...

I myself have a Navman Icn620 and find it great ...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,042 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Tell him to look up Xpert taxis - they have GPS via XDAs...

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bloke

sharkman wrote:
    Apologies for the humour sarcman. The original poster seemed to have a sense of humour, I forgot others might not :)

Anyway I did realise after I posted that I didn't add any advice - my bad I'm doing many things at the same time here.

I've used the PDA based systems once or twice and found them messy, troublesome and hard to see in bright sunlight. A laptop based system has served me well but I'm guessing that's not an option security-wise unless it's a van-type taxi with a sealed off cab?

sarcman wrote:
    Now *you're* the one who's joking - right?! :-)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭sharkman

bloke wrote:
    Apologies for the humour sarcman. The original poster seemed to have a sense of humour, I forgot others might not :)

Anyway I did realise after I posted that I didn't add any advice - my bad I'm doing many things at the same time here.

I've used the PDA based systems once or twice and found them messy, troublesome and hard to see in bright sunlight. A laptop based system has served me well but I'm guessing that's not an option security-wise unless it's a van-type taxi with a sealed off cab?

Now *you're* the one who's joking - right?! :-)

Was only joking , did not report you > :D

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

bloke wrote:

That must be the system they have :D

As far as I know Garmin is one of the most recognised GPS systems...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

Thanks for the feedback guys! I must look into them more myself. It would have to be a decent sized one that easy enough to use and me dad has trouble working the tv remote let alone and GPS thingy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

talk to http://www.satnavhire.ie/

Ask about the Garmin Streetpilot c310. Great lil device, perfect for what you need I think.

You'll prob be able to hire a unit for a day or so to test it and see if it works for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,300 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

irlrobins wrote:
    talk to http://www.satnavhire.ie/

Ask about the Garmin Streetpilot c310. Great lil device, perfect for what you need I think.

You'll prob be able to hire a unit for a day or so to test it and see if it works for you.
    Aye. Been in a few cabs with that. It looks good. Esp if you don't know every road in Dublin, BUT getting the update is hard to do, and slightly costly.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

Garmin GPS with car mount is 329 euro in maplin on special offer , there also handing out 10 euro offs for spending over 100 euro before Christmas.

alternative is route 66 mobile plus gps receiver and a series 60 mobile.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Maybe something like this also from Aldi:
    http://ireland.aldi.com/special_buys/product_461.html

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

sharkman wrote:

I myself have a Navman Icn620 and find it great ...

Don't think taxi drivers qualify as a race. A race of eejits maybe :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭Ratchet

should a taxi driver know a town bit?:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

for PDA-Based GPS, and I would say overall.

Copilot 5 and Navigon 5 have the most up to date mapping.

Advertisement