Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Do UK speeding offences transfer over to Ireland?

Options
  • 08-11-2005 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭

Bought a car in the UK. Drove it home. Got a letter in the post saying I went over the speed limit at a certain time etc, etc. The time means that it was me driving and not the previous owner. The car will we be registered here in a week or so (when the registration form comes through the letterbox).
    Will the points and/or fine transfer to me when the car is re-registered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

From what I know we are still not linked into the UK system...there is plans that the whoel of europe will at one stage be linked together....so that if your speeding in UK/France or whereever you will get the points....if this happens it will be a miracle.....not at moment....hence why Nordie drivers break the sound barrier on every road down here and never get pulled/points!!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Nope. There is no communication between the two systems currently.
    If it was the other way around, the the Irish Govt would do you the honour of holding your points for you until there is communication between the systems.
    Maybe the Brits will try to extradite you :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

Ok but assuming the car WAS registered to me on that day, ie it was a UK reg in my name, am i still exempt. I understand if it was an Irish reg in the UK...

quarryman wrote:
    Ok but assuming the car WAS registered to me on that day, ie it was a UK reg in my name, am i still exempt. I understand if it was an Irish reg in the UK...

Yeah but you are still an Irish driver with an Irish passport....from what I believe Uk will do f**k all.....

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Big Nelly wrote:
    Yeah but you are still an Irish driver with an Irish passport

Your nationality is irrelevant

quarryman wrote:
    Ok but assuming the car WAS registered to me on that day, ie it was a UK reg in my name, am i still exempt.

Yes, exempt from peno points, unless you have a British license :)

I'd pay the fine though...

BTW what car did you get?

• Advertisement

Well the penalty points is the main concern really. I can handle the fine...

I bought a Focus Unkel. 1.6 Zetec. Installed a Pc and touchscreen setup too, bling bling!

i'll post some pics in a new thread soon when all the wires etc are hidden :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭davidclayton

"when all the wires are hidden"...
    at your current rate it'll take you about a month to do this,
    the pc has been in your car about a month already!

finish the job you lazy bum. once you get your xbox 360,
    the car will be neglected for about a year!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

would this penalty notice have been sent to the previous owner and nicely forwarded on by him or did it come direct from the relevant licencing authority in the uk? seems quick for change of ownership etc unless you've got this car quite a while now?

Due to the registration form being lost by the DVLA/Royal Mail i'm still waiting to get the car registered. I've had the car over a month now and the speeding offence dates back to the exact day i bought it.

The form was sent by the DVLA not the previous owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Interesting little piece from http://www.direct.gov.uk/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/ForeignLicencesArticles/fs/en?CONTENT_ID=4022556&chk=KSyaCx
    Drivers of small vehicles may register also, if they wish. To register, drivers should notify DVLA of their name, address and driving entitlement. Drivers who register will receive their licence back together with a UK counterpart document. This would enable them to take advantage of the fixed penalty system for road traffic offences instead of having to go to court.
    Now the way I read this, it says that if you are caught breaking the speed limit, or something else that would get you a fixed penalty in the UK, you will be required to go to court unless you are a UK licence holder, or are registered with the DVLA as a driver in the country.

I'd advise contacting the DVLA in the UK to clarify (that is, if you're going to pay the fine).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

I have a question, maybe someone replying to this thread might know. If you get a speeding fine in the UK do they check if you are insured to drive the vehicle you were caught speeding in?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Big Nelly wrote:
    ....hence why Nordie drivers break the sound barrier on every road down here and never get pulled/points!!

And also why southern drivers do the same in the North. I know you meant to say that, I presume you just forgot.

MrP

MrPudding wrote:
    And also why southern drivers do the same in the North. I know you meant to say that, I presume you just forgot.

MrP

Actual did mean to mention but was going to say "the same as when we go to France..etc":D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

Big Nelly wrote:
    Actual did mean to mention but was going to say "the same as when we go to France..etc":D

Becareful about braking the speed limit in France with an Irish licence if you're living here, not only do they make u pay the fine, they make u change your licence to a French one so they can put the points on too!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

MrPudding wrote:
    And also why southern drivers do the same in the North.

Not so much. There are actually police cars over there that patrol the traffic :eek:

Was doing about 85mph on a quiet motorway over there and got pulled by an unmarked police car. After a little chat with the extremely professional and courteous officer, he let me on my merry way

jm2k wrote:
    Becareful about braking the speed limit in France with an Irish licence if you're living here, not only do they make u pay the fine, they make u change your licence to a French one so they can put the points on too!
    I know they are supposed to take no shít nowadays (despite me disproving this during hols over the last two years) and they will fine you about €750+ for being 30kmph over the limit.
    However, never have I heard that they make you change your licence and anyhow, it is AFAIK not somehting police can force upon an EU citizen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭jm2k

kbannon wrote:
    ...However, never have I heard that they make you change your licence and anyhow, it is AFAIK not somehting police can force upon an EU citizen.

It's law as defined in their highway code...

http://www.code-route.com/echange.htm
    Toutefois l'échange est rendu obligatoire :
    1) si vous commettez en France une infraction entraînant une suspension, restriction ou annulation du permis, ou une perte de points

or translated
    However an exchange is compulsory:
    1) if you commit an offence in France which involves a suspension, restriction or cancellation of the licence, or a gaining penalty points.

I stand corrected. Never heard it happen though and I know plenty of UK folk who have been pulled for being over the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,893 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

seamus wrote:
    Now the way I read this, it says that if you are caught breaking the speed limit, or something else that would get you a fixed penalty in the UK, you will be required to go to court unless you are a UK licence holder, or are registered with the DVLA as a driver in the country.
    The really weird thing about this is that it also applies to NI licences. They're issued under different legislation than licences in the rest of the UK and are regarded as 'foreign' for penalty points purposes.

The Dublin Airport cap is damaging the economy of Ireland as a whole, and must be scrapped forthwith.

Advertisement