Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Saddles for commuting/touring

Options
  • 08-11-2005 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭

I bought a Specialized Body Geometry Comfort saddle recently. It has a huge triangular chunk cut out of it - apparently for the benefit of your perineum and the family jewellery in general. It seems pretty comfortable too.

What does anyone else use for commuting/touring?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

The most comfortable saddle I've used was a Brooks conquest. It's an old fashioned leather saddle, with springs! Really heavy too. I used it on a number of tours though and never had any discomfort.

http://www.brookssaddles.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

And the family jewels...?
    Morgan wrote:
    The most comfortable saddle I've used was a Brooks conquest. It's an old fashioned leather saddle, with springs! Really heavy too. I used it on a number of tours though and never had any discomfort.

http://www.brookssaddles.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

the brooks b17 is also a fab saddle... bit more like a racing saddle than the conquest. it's under brooks classics on the website.

pricy though :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

And the family jewels...?

Still functioning....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭Ghost Rider

I've had two saddles vandalised in Dublin. In one case the miscreant dug his fingers into it and tugged a load of the gel out. That's what I get for leaving it outside the IRFU headquarters...

In the other case someone took to the saddle with a knife and simply slashed it. (The thinking seems to be "HULK CANNOT ROB! HULK MUST DESTROY!")

If I bought a Brooks, I'd be afraid some ****head would try and cut himself a wallet out of it.
    patrido wrote:
    the brooks b17 is also a fab saddle... bit more like a racing saddle than the conquest. it's under brooks classics on the website.

pricy though :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭FergusF

I'll second the Brooks recommendation, they are really comfy - even though they don't have any 'give' like a gel saddle. The leather moulds to your shape after a while, and since your weight is supported on your sit bones there is no problem with pressure on the family jewels.

The sprung models also help smooth out the ride a fair bit. I am using a B67 model - before that I had one of those Body Gel ones with the cutout and I find the Brooks a lot more comfy.

Re vandalism, tying a plastic bag over it when you lock the bike will help disguise it somewhat and also keep it from getting soaked. This is the major drawback with a leather saddle, you are not supposed to ride on it if it's soaked or the leather may get stretched.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭patrido

If I bought a Brooks, I'd be afraid some ****head would try and cut himself a wallet out of it.

hahahaha :D

i guess it's not really a saddle for a city bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭randomname2005

I have a specialized body geometry too. Very nice!!

Advertisement