Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Best match pies!

• 08-11-2005 1:35pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 620 ✭✭✭

Where do you think sells the best match pies?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I dont like pies but when I go to a Bray Wanderers game I need to get a cup of soup or else you will freeze to death. I dont think they sell pies there anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Trying to get food at a Prem game can be a nightmare, especially if you want to see the game rather than get stuck in a queue. Plus its usually a better idea to drain some of the lager from your system at half time, and thats an uphill struggle at times as well...

As for Tolka Park, I'm tempted to join the Burdocks queue some time, but I hate the way it starts right at kick-off. So far I've limited myself to a cup of coffee with a free nearly out-of-date Wagon Wheel!

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Wigan, well it is pie country after all and they really do make an effort.

Scouse pies at Anfield are nice too.

Used to sell pies at Carlisle Grounds but stopped them quite a while ago, must not have been selling all that well or the person that was supplying them stopped supplying, that was back in the day when you used to have to go into the little shed for your tea and us Order Of Malta types used to get in free and have a pie and tea too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Used to sell pies at Carlisle Grounds but stopped them quite a while ago,

DId ya? I'd say that was a nice little earner for you.;)

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Pies at Old Trafford are alright, nothin major but when u are cold do u care!!

I think the pies at Stockport County were nicer but again was so hungry did not care!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Carrow Road :D or else St Marys, St James Park and also The Reebok. Avoid Selhurst like the plague. It's woeful to say the least although I've only gone in the away section and it's like something from the 1950's

kensutz wrote:
    and also The Reebok.

Didn't get a chance to partake last night, but was very impressed with the proper queuing system instead of the usual free-for-all.

Fine stadium all round (slightly ruined by being full of Bolton fans and being in a rather grim neck of the woods in general) :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

yop wrote:

I think the pies at Stockport County were nicer but again was so hungry did not care!!

the pies at edgeley park are nice,meat and potato i hope with lots of gravy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,198 ✭✭✭kensutz

Great stadium isn't it? I sat both in the home and away sections. It has to be one of the weirdest accents we heard but when driving along the motorway to see it in the distance is impressive but when you get there all you have is a little shopping complex and thats about it. We found a couple of pubs about a 10 minute walk away from the ground which welcomed home and away supporters and it's probably one of my favourite away grounds.

kensutz wrote:
    Great stadium isn't it? I sat both in the home and away sections. It has to be one of the weirdest accents we heard but when driving along the motorway to see it in the distance is impressive but when you get there all you have is a little shopping complex and thats about it. We found a couple of pubs about a 10 minute walk away from the ground which welcomed home and away supporters and it's probably one of my favourite away grounds.

Got the thrain from Manchester Airport to Horwich Parkway (stopped at Picadilly) which is less than five minutes walk away, you walk straight up towards the West Stand (I think) and it does look impressive all right.

Have to say Manchester Airport seems to be ideal for quite a few clubs in that neck of the woods, Wigan/Bolton/Blackburn/Citeh/Yanited/Scousers/Toffees all within Diouf distance. Very handy. Back in a couple of weeks for Wigan, I'll be trying a pie then.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Aye, Gravy and all ;) Gravy with the corn flakes even!!

Got the thrain from Manchester Airport to Horwich Parkway (stopped at Picadilly) which is less than five minutes walk away, you walk straight up towards the West Stand (I think) and it does look impressive all right.

Have to say Manchester Airport seems to be ideal for quite a few clubs in that neck of the woods, Wigan/Bolton/Blackburn/Citeh/Yanited/Scousers/Toffees all within Diouf distance. Very handy. Back in a couple of weeks for Wigan, I'll be trying a pie then.

They were voted best pies in the league there recently, Wigan is a handy away game to get too, always more away fans than home fans as they cannot get the support. The piese there are superb, the football isn't bad there at the moment either. If you are just looking to get a prem game in you are almost guaranteed to get a ticket if you apply to Wigan for a seat in the home stand.

If you are just looking to get a prem game in you are almost guaranteed to get a ticket if you apply to Wigan for a seat in the home stand.

Credited with my loyalty points on the Spurs site on Sunday for the fixture, which means ticket's on t'way and I'll be in with the 5000 or so Yids.

COYS!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i don't think jewish people like being called "yids", i used to love a nice few chips in dailymount but i didn't like giving cash to bohs lol, so when the chips got smaller portions i stopped buying, tolkas burdocks was nice too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 390 ✭✭Brock

yop wrote:

bloody stopped doin pies at old trafford , i got one at the villa game in august but as far as i could see on sunday there was none i was looking forward to a lovely potato and chicken pie and i went down and there was hot dogs :eek: no joke either :mad:
    ahh well the victory was tasty enough.:p :p

blu_sonic wrote:
    i don't think jewish people like being called "yids"

Who called Jewish people "yids"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Can't beat a hot-dog at Tolka Park. No pies though, I think thats mainly an English/British thing.

Who called Jewish people "yids"?

You did

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

"Spurs fans long ago responded to the chants of 'yids' and now scream 'yiddo' and 'come on you yids' at every opportunity (to good effect this afternoon, when we beat the cheats of Newscastle 1-0)."

http://www.stephenpollard.net/001495.html

You did

Spurs fans have referred to themselves as Yids since the early 80s, to counter opposition fans who used the term in an abusive manner towards us. Hence the chant "Yid army" which is probably the most regular heard in and around WHL on match day. Thats who I was referring to.

So unless somebody's suggesting that all Spurs fans are Jewish...

• Advertisement

No just all of the ones that travel to away games - 5,000 Yids i think was your estimate ;)

Is alot like Scouse which was originally coined as a derogatory term for Liverpuddlians, this has now however been adopted by Liverpool fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

Scouse pies at Anfield are nice too.

The scouse pies are definitely the nicest ones ive had. It was at Goodison though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

Spurs fans have referred to themselves as Yids since the early 80s, to counter opposition fans who used the term in an abusive manner towards us. Hence the chant "Yid army" which is probably the most regular heard in and around WHL on match day. Thats who I was referring to.

So unless somebody's suggesting that all Spurs fans are Jewish...

sorry thats my fault for sturring it up i was just messing with you saying "i don't think jewish people like being called yid" i know that spurs used it to their power taking a term that was designed to be defamatory and turning it into you own, just like the term "paddy" "******" "scouse" all words intend for to hurt but taken on by the groups and turned into a word of empowerment. so sorry again for looking like i was telling tales or trying to get you into trouble, i only said it because i used to live in golders green. ;)

edit: even boards think one of the words is defamatory, why didn't it do that to yid? etc.

Advertisement