Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering or Technician jobs

• 08-11-2005 1:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭

Hello all,

I need some advice preferably from fellow engineers. I've just graduated from electronic engineering with a 2.1 and I am finding it pretty difficult to find employment. I only started looking this September which didn't me too much favours as alot of graduate positions were filled by that stage. Whilst looking for engineering work I have come across many technician posts. I was just wondering would it be a good move applying for these and hence getting my foot in the door for future engineering positions. Most of these positions require a diploma would it be an advantage/disadvantage being over-qualified. My main concern is that if I am employed as a technician, would it effect my future engineering career in a negative way? I am especially interested in the views of people who were in the position of hiring engineers in the past but all advice is welcome.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 377 ✭✭Irjudge1

Our firm (civil engineering consultants) have employed a number of technicians who have gone on to become project engineers through further education. We have also employed degree qualified engineers as technicians (their option). I think you should get in there and see what happens. It certainly won't do your career any harm.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Irjudge1 wrote:
    Our firm (civil engineering consultants) have employed a number of technicians who have gone on to become project engineers through further education. We have also employed degree qualified engineers as technicians (their option). I think you should get in there and see what happens. It certainly won't do your career any harm.

The engineering diploma is a starting point. Many DIT graduates got there diploma and then their degree (taking a extra year compared to say Trinity I think)

If your looking for a job straight away it might be a good place to start but bare in mind even if you are employed as a technician you could end up doing engineering work so watch out for that cause there could be a difference in pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 143 ✭✭Mod_Man

Starting out as a technician can get your foot in the door and gain you some good experience. Your manager will quickly see that you are capable of Engineering work and send it your way...Trouble is you'll be doing it for Tech's pay. You also may get 'Pigeon holed' as a Tech in the company and
    be treated like one in terms or responsibility and pay. However if you don't mind doing it for a couple of years till you gain some experience and then switch jobs, it may be worth while.

I have a few friends that did their Degree while working as Techs, when they qualified, there company's still treated them as Techs and they had to move on to get extra pay/responsibilities...

B.T.W. a lot of Firms won't hire Engineers for tech postions as they know they will soon get bored and move on...

Advertisement