Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cd player repair

Options
  • 08-11-2005 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,548 ✭✭✭

hi guys,

i dont come here often or anything so im not sure if this is the right board.

my father has a fairly old Sony component system. its about 15 years old I would say. Its one of those ones where each thing,ie Cd player, tapedeck etc. is a separate box.

Anyway, something is amiss with the cd player, it makes clicking noises when you but cd's in. The old boy is really attached to it and I was wondering if anyone knows where I could get it fixed or of anyone who can fix it/have a look?

I had it in the Sony Centre in O Connell Street last week and they wanted 120 quid which is a bit above my budget. I get the feeling its just a spring or a clip or something thats gone.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The "clicking sound" could be the lens hitting the limits of it's travel when trying to focus on the CD - sounds like your problem is with it.

Before looking to get it repaired you could try cleaning the laser with a dry cotton bud or even a cd cleaner. Very often this can wrench a little more life from a failing laser.

You say it's 15 years old - if you think about it how many times has the house been decorated in that period - sanding, stripping etc. the dust can clog up a player, I've come accross this on many occasions.

Failing that Donberg in Donegal may be able to get you a new replacement optic system for the player but their service in my experience has been poor. Can you post the model number of the CD-Player ?

ZEN

Advertisement