Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Place Betting on Betfair?

• 08-11-2005 2:06pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

Anyone into this?

I've been really busy over the last year to be honest but just starting to get back into horses, as football and snooker are my strong points.

Someone showed me something recently that was very interesting.

Say a horse is 5.00 to actually win the race, yet is 3.00 to place, this would indicate that it's not very well fancied at all, and the best bet would be to lay it to win, as the correct place price for it should be around 2.00.

It could even indicate that it's a "non tryer" as the markets are very much open to abuse from in the know trainers and stable guys. ;)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

I would seriously doubt that you'd get 3.0 to place on a horse that was 5.0 to win. In my experience of the place markets on Betfair are the odds are usually not too great for place only betting, in a 16 runner race where the place value should be roughly 1/4 the win odds you rarely seem to get it.

I remember reading something a while back about bookies saying that the place portyion of an each way bet are in the punters favour as the odds are not a correct indication of a horses place chances.

However, I have noticed that Paddy Power recently started to offer place only betting on their website so it would be worthwhile to compare their place prices with those on Betfair before betting.

As for place betting in general, I don't usually bother with it all that much any more, I sometimes back a horse to win and place as the amount of times in the past that I have backed only to place and the horse went out and won.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

masterK wrote:
    I remember reading something a while back about bookies saying that the place portyion of an each way bet are in the punters favour as the odds are not a correct indication of a horses place chances.
    This can be the case but not always. It's especially evident in certain situations, such as a long odds-on favourite in a race of 8 or more runners, like Rasharrow last Sunday. Backing the 2nd/3rd/4th favourite e/w in those type of races gives you much better place odds than you'd find on a place-only market like betfair. On-course bookies generally don't take e/w bets on those races but will instead make a second book without the favourite.

The only time I place bet now is to have a saver on my win bet so that I break-even should the horse place rather than win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

masterK wrote:
    I would seriously doubt that you'd get 3.0 to place on a horse that was 5.0 to win. In my experience of the place markets on Betfair are the odds are usually not too great for place only betting, in a 16 runner race where the place value should be roughly 1/4 the win odds you rarely seem to get it.
    I have actually found the opposite on BF. I have found quite often you might get 1/3 the odds and on rare occasions maybe even 1/2 the win odds. I have seen some cases where the odds are ridiculous at about 1/6 or 1/7 of the win odds but quite often they seem quite good. I have never seen odds as good as the one you mention above, normally the good place odds happen on a horse at about 30/1 or so, you could get 10/1 or 12/1 for a place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 PR

Have to disagree mate, not going to start "after eventing" saying how much I placed or won, but take today for example.

Mr Rigsby at 1.50 Wolves was a 2.62 winner, yet was available at back at place @ 1.80! An amazing price considering he was a course winner, and the hotpot favourite had been withdrawn.

It really does pay to look into place betting on Betfair, I'll try and provide some examples before the off on future days. :)

Advertisement