Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Typical interoffice business calls

• 08-11-2005 2:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I'm currently wrtining up a report on VOIP and I want to contrast normal pstn call with VOIP calls. My question is 'what price does it typically cost to ring someone in an office next door to you?' ie from one extention number to another...

Is it free or would you have to pay a phone company like eircom or is it free??

Thanks in advance,

mada

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭cgarvey

If you're on the same VoIP system (like Sales office ringing the Accounts office within the same company's VoIP system), it's free.

If you're talking about Company X ringing Company Y next door, and they don't share a VoIP system, then most VoIP providers will offer free calls within their own network. So if both X and Y are with the same provider, calls are usually free.

Similarly, if Sales and Accounts in the same company that have no VoIP system internally, but have multiple accounts with the same provider, those calls will usually be free.

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭mada999

Similarly, if Sales and Accounts in the same company that have no VoIP system internally, but have multiple accounts with the same provider, those calls will usually be free.

Sorry cgarvey, I'm not too clear on this. Do you mean that if the company have no VOIP technologies/contracts at all but their phone system is for example eircom or esat then Sales can ring accounts for free?

I want to be able to get how much it is for a companies internal calls (without any voip) and then introduce VOIP technologies and contrast the differences in price.... not sure if i'm going the right way about it !

thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,888 ✭✭✭cgarvey

OK, so with no VoIP in the picture there are 2 scenarios.

The majority would have a PBX (internal phone system), where internal calls are free. If a small company (big enough to have a Sales person and an Accounts person!) uses 2 regular phone lines and makes a regular phone call to each other, rather than investing in a cheap PBX, then they are not going to be in business for too long with that sort of thinking.

Now if the offices are not in the same building/close proximity, that's a different story. Then there are a number of options that Eircom / BT Ireland / Big Telco will offer them, depending on size. All of those options are aimed at cost reduction and free internal calls. The older common one is a Centronix, where a mdium multi-site company is given a block of DDI numbers to do with what they will, and can distribute those across the various sites. Internal calls being free.

So, unless you're doing something very wrong, then the calls will be free.

.cg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 387 ✭✭amby666

Many big companies now have voice and data running across the same network, connecting multiple sites. Newer installations use MPLS to connect each site to the telcos network, and the telco handles the interlinking seemlessly between each site. Hundreds of sites can each use a short connection to the telco, into a "cloud", and connect to every other site by way of the cloud, rather than having a direction to every other site or having to go through a central hub. In this case all calls on net are free, and calls out of the network can use least cost routing so that a call from Dublin to New Jersey can travel across the company network to the New York office and call from there.

Advertisement