Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Superb v Passat v Avensis

Options
  • 08-11-2005 2:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12

Hi,

I am looking at three deisel cars all around the 30K mark. Choices as follows:

Base Level Passat - Ac electric windows but other wise very basic. 105 bPH 1.9 deisel engine.

Base Level Avensis ac front electric widows 116 BPH. Very Basic also.

Skoda Superb Comfort model, all electric, cruise control, alloys etc. 100 bph.

Which would be the best deal? I am also considering getting the Superb chipped after purchase to 130 BPH is this safe from an engine point of view? Insurance pov.

Would it be worth pushing out to Sportline Passat at 33K. I think skoda will hold best part of its value.

Also if ye are intrested I will sell my Skoda Octivia 1.9 04 Ambient for any reasonable offer.

Mike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

Why not an Octavia 2.0TDi DSG?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I was looking at the Sportline Passat a few weeks ago and I want one....great looking car and will have that extra bit of punch!! drive a 00 Passat at the moment and love it.....get great milage from my 1.9Tdi engine!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

mmuf200 wrote:
    Hi,

Base Level Passat - Ac electric windows but other wise very basic. 105 bPH 1.9 deisel engine.

Which would be the best deal? I am also considering getting the Superb chipped after purchase to 130 BPH is this safe from an engine point of view? Insurance pov.

Would it be worth pushing out to Sportline Passat at 33K. I think skoda will hold best part of its value.

Also if ye are intrested I will sell my Skoda Octivia 1.9 04 Ambient for any reasonable offer.

Mike

The Superb is alot of car for the money but it doesn't seem to hold it's second hand value as well as the Octavia. If you entend to keep the car for along time then maybe it is worth considering one.

Also consider that the Superb uses a stretched version of the previous generation Passat and the interior looks like it was designed in the mid 1990s imo as the old Passat dashboard was used. Still it is a comfortable car with a huge boot and rear legroom.

Did you try and find a used 05 130bhp 6-speed Superb, you should be able to pick one up for around the same price as a new 100bhp version.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 mmuf200

Do ot think new Octavia is worth the money. Let alone the 2l one...

bazz26 wrote:
    The Superb is alot of car for the money but it doesn't seem to hold it's second hand value as well as the Octavia. If you entend to keep the car for along time then maybe it is worth considering one.

Also consider that the Superb uses a stretched version of the previous generation Passat and the interior looks like it was designed in the mid 1990s imo as the old Passat dashboard was used. Still it is a comfortable car with a huge boot and rear legroom.

Did you try and find a used 05 130bhp 6-speed Superb, you should be able to pick one up for around the same price as a new 100bhp version.

I do not buy second hand cars, trade every two years.. Superb holds it value as good as Octavia. Can trade one after two years for 6K. Same as Octavia.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Superb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,472 ✭✭✭tred

mmuf200 wrote:
    Hi,

Mike

Would you consider a Mondeo TDCI? I have a 130BHP.....smashing car, have it 1.5 years and its given me nothing but joy...Touch wood..... you would get a great deal on a 05 one in UK....the market is flooded with them as the reps adode them.....a lot of work but can be worth it...

Any more opinions on this matter?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

What about the A3 Diesel? nice car and in about the bracket you are talking about!!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,414 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mmuf200 wrote:
    Do ot think new Octavia is worth the money. Let alone the 2l one...

How come? As DS suggests, you can get the superior engine and DSG within your budget. The Passat with same engine and transmission is €8k more expensive. The Octavia is hardly any smaller than the others (save the Superb)

Or is it that you buy brand new every other year? If that's the case sticking with the cheapest Passat might minimise your depreciation

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

to be honest the mondeo has a great engine..brother has a 04 2l turbo diesel and there's some kick off it..my car is a 05 1.6l petrol primera and even though hp on the mondeo is only 6 more than mine he still accelerates way faster than mine...although the primera engines are tweaked for more fuel ecomony (something with the gear ratios)
    the primera's themselves are a great car..not everybody likes the shape but the inside is extremely comfortable plus you get great extras such as gps etc..
    Also how about the peugoet 407...gorgeous looking car and AFAIK it's also available in diesel...apparently peugeot's diesels engines are the best according to a mechanic mate of mine

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Big Balls

In terms of residuals, the Passat is the winner all day long. The Sportline would be a nicer car over the poverty spec though - up to you whether you want to part with the extra cash.

The Superb is some piece of kit though. You have barely mentioned 1% of the standard spec on them. Again, when it comes to selling it on, you'll lose a lot, no other reason than badge snobbery.

Toyotas make my skin crawl, can't stand their plastic interior, lack of style and the only good thing anyone can ever say about a Toyota is "sure they last forever". Great - so do most modern cars these days !! When was the last time you looked twice at any car made by Toyota??

The superb has better residuals that Passat and avensis. In two years you will be offered 22K for the Superb with 45K on the clock. VW cite holding on to value as their best feature it is only a myth. Go and try and trade a two year old Passat/golf and they will be looking for a lot more that 6K in a trade. 8-10K is figure on avensis.

Do not see 2.0 DSG octavia anywhere does it exist?

Well the old model Passat (which is now looking ancient) would depreciate rapidly once the new model was about

Not quite fair to compare with the Superb!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

mmuf200 wrote:
    Bizarrely only in Combi form, and for €32k

http://www.skoda-auto.com/irl/model/newoctavia/octaviacombi/prices/

mmuf200 wrote:

Er, yes why would we mention it otherwise? :p

Select Skoda and Octavia in the new car section here

Big Balls wrote:
    In terms of residuals, the Passat is the winner all day long. The Sportline would be a nicer car over the poverty spec though - up to you whether you want to part with the extra cash.

The Superb is some piece of kit though. You have barely mentioned 1% of the standard spec on them. Again, when it comes to selling it on, you'll lose a lot, no other reason than badge snobbery.

Toyotas make my skin crawl, can't stand their plastic interior, lack of style and the only good thing anyone can ever say about a Toyota is "sure they last forever". Great - so do most modern cars these days !! When was the last time you looked twice at any car made by Toyota??

Well none of the three above cars would win a beauty contest would they?

While the quality of plastic in the Passat maybe be better there still is quite alot of it about the cabin especially in basic trim where alot of blanked out buttons are visible. The design is fresher than the other two but your paying a premium for the badge though.

The Superb has alot of fake looking wood too which looks terrible imo and the dash which is straight from the old Passat obviously looks very mid 1990s with edges and hard plastics. But the standard equipment, rear legroom and boot is unbelievable.

To be honest the plastics in the current Avensis are alot better than the old one.

This doesn't mean any of the three cars are bad. lt all comes down to personal choice I guess.

To the OP, test drive all these cars and form your own opinion on which one you find the most suited to your needs.

You beat me to it, DS :)
    Bizarrely only in Combi form, and for €32k

Not according to carzone, or a large dealer in Dublin

It wouldn't make sense to have it in stationwagon only

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Ice_Box

Hold out for the new mondeo

car_portal_pic_21442.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Is that seriously the new mondeo??!?

I thought the base model avensis was quite well specced. The higher spec is only 1k extra anyway. People still have hangups about Toyotas being boring from watching too much top gear. The new Avensis is a fine car and fantastic value for money.

The new Octavia TDi is only €24k for the Ambiente? You can get the old shape for close to €20k cash, and maybe better. For goodness sake dont buy a DSG or a 2.0 TDi if you plan on selling in 2/3 years. You will get this much extra on trade in: €0.

Superb is probably a better can to be driven in than to drive.

maidhc wrote:
    Is that seriously the new mondeo??!?

Sorry to the OP for going off topic.

That is a Ford concept which is showing the way some technology may find its way to the next Mondeo. It does indicate how the next Mondeo will look when it is launced next year. That concept also has gull wing doors which will not obviously be carried over to the family saloon.

Another indication of the look of the next Mondeo is the front of the new Galaxy MPV which is supposed to have the new Ford corporate look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

How about the Volvo S40 Diesel:)

mmuf200 wrote:
    The superb has better residuals that Passat and avensis. In two years you will be offered 22K for the Superb with 45K on the clock. Go and try and trade a two year old Passat/golf and they will be looking for a lot more that 6K in a trade.

I have traded in a Golf and you're talking rubbish :D

Resale of an Avensis D4D will be first class.

We traded in a 99 Avensis TD before against a new one and it never went on the forecourt. Dealer had a waiting list for them from Taxi drivers!! It is a shame to sell a Toyota after 2 years really, because they DO live far longer than any french car and I suspect longer than most german ones too (Longer than modern mercs anyway, although the jury is out on VW and BMW!). Toyota have better customer service than most too (i.e. they even replaced a light on my mothers car she that cracked by reversing into a wall).

There will be a facelifted avensis out by Autumn next year.

How much are you trading a two year old golf for????

I made a loss of €3,000 on one over 15 months - even then it was only 3K as it was a new car when I bought it.

Big Balls wrote:
    I made a loss of €3,000 on one over 15 months - even then it was only 3K as it was a new car when I bought it.

Is it the new shape? Normally the first of the new shape cars hold their value really well until they start coming on the market after 24-36 months. This happened with the mk1 Mondeo where they were like gold dust until about late 95 when everything went horribly wrong.

My grandfather traded in one of the very first Audi A4 TDIs (1995 model) in 97 against a new one for about 3k. It cost him twice that to go from the 97 to a 99 model.

The Golfs are a very solid buy anyway, they always have held their value extremely well.

• Advertisement

Nope old model.. was a GTI.

None of the cars we are all talking about are rock solid in terms of residuals but saying the Skoda is the best when it comes to reale out of the list above is madness.

Advertisement