Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2mb or not 2mb.....

• 08-11-2005 2:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

Going to get BT line rental+broadband installed. It is an extra €10 a month for the 2mb service over the 1mb one - is it worth it?

Would 1mb suffice if you only do a bit of web browsing, or would 2mb make the experience that much better (i.e. €10 a month better)?

I suppose that there are more people out there who regret opting for the slower/cheaper option than those who regret paying more for speeds they don't need...?

So, if I don't do much in the way of bittorrent and stick to nice legit web-site surfing would I be happy with a 1mb line, or should I just pay the cash and get twice the speed?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

shaneos wrote:
    So, if I don't do much in the way of bittorrent and stuck to nice legit web-site surfing would I be happy with a 1mb line

Yes. You may decide to bittorrent AFTER you get the 1Mbit line though so think about your new 'habits' not your current ones !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

If you're only browsing go for 1Mb. I used to be 512, now I'm 2Mb and I don't notice any difference browsing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Sarsfield

Take the 1Mb option. If you feel the need for 2Mb later on, I think upgrading is free (downgrading incurs a fee).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Yogiincork

Yepp, upgrading is free. I know because I did it :)
    Also, with BB+ the contention ratio is 1:20, instead of the 1:48 with the "normal" BT BB.
    The only reason for me to upgrade though was that I'm sharing the connection with a flatmate now, and BB+ has 24 gig cap, as opposed to the 12 gig with normal BT BB.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,864 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

As others have said, go with 1m you can always upgrade for free later.

• Advertisement
Advertisement