Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would you support limited terracing at top flight football?

• 08-11-2005 3:17pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭

Quite simple. I believe the introduction of all-seater stadiums has led to a serious lack of atmosphere in the Premiership, and am of the opinion that reintroducing some terracing would encourage a bit more niteraction from the crwod, instead of the usual ooohs and aaahs for shots on target, then little else.

There's a lot of support from fans groups in the UK for this, how would you feel?

Bring back terracing at Premier League grounds? 35 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    65% 23 votes
    Atari Jaguar
    34% 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

safety has to be the number one issue,and in my eyes terracing is not safe theres been too many disasters in resent years,so i would vote no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

county wrote:
    safety has to be the number one issue,and in my eyes terracing is not safe theres been too many disasters in resent years,so i would vote no

Tell that to the German's, they have terracing at Budesliega grounds.

Ever been to a music concert? There's more movement at a rock concert than at a football match, certainly in my opinion (comparing 12 years of concert attendance with roughly 15 years of standing on Hill 16/terracing at Lansdowne Rd)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Can't watch football sitting down. Even when there's seats, have to stand.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Will never happen again. One reason why The Hillsborough disaster .

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

There definately should be terracing. Although with maximum security and made as safe as possible (like Hill 16 at the moment). It should all be sectioned off so that there won't be over crowding in the one area of the terraces.

I could definately see it working. The grounds back in the 80's were very run down and were extremely dangerous to stand on because of the lack of rails etc. With the amount of money in football these days it shouldn't be a problem to keep them as safe as possible.

Seats totally take away from the atmosphere in my opinion. Which is something that is needed in football big time.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah I would love to see terracing brought back in again as long as they make sure that its safe and have plenty of barriers for people to lean on. I go Hill 16 for every Dub game and there is no atmosphere like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 992 ✭✭✭mchurl

people are standing as it is at the majority of the grounds in england and i would be of the opinion that terraces would be a great idea to be brought back in.They would greatly increase the atmosphere and the players would then respond to the more intimate surroundongs.

And all they have to do is take a look at the bundesliga and the mestalla stadium in valencia for examples of how this can work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

Would love to see terracing brought back. Great buzz standing in the Stretford End for City or Liverpool games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

I cant sit down watching a match.

Bring back terracing.

They are even getting rid of the Shed end in Turners Cross.:mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Can't watch football sitting down. Even when there's seats, have to stand.

Same as. Keeps you warm too! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

Totally support a return to a section of terracing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Definetly. German stadiums are the best on the planet. Behind the goals they have fold away seats so it can be terracing for league games and all-seater for european ties. It works a treat. The safety concerns are all hype. If it's done like the German models then they are just as safe wether its all-seater or with terracing behind the goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

I know people will cite Hillsborough, but it was the pitch fences that caused more of a problem than terraces imo.
    Terraces can deffo be brought back in the current climate.
    It's just so annoying watching a match sat down... when standing, you constantly want action, and will sing and shout for it!
    Even in the pub I dont like sitting down watching a big game... all my memories of watching the big Irish games in packed pubs thronged of people standing all around.

However, do I think it will happen?
    I dont think so tbh...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

There's nothing inherintly wrong with terraceing, it's incompetent policing of them that leads to problems. Hence the Germans having them without bother. Totally banning terracing itself instead of resolving the issues behind the disasters was an over reaction.

I also can't sit down to watch a football match, it simply feels wrong. It's amazing the effect it has on how much you sing and get behind the team. That's why I really don't enjoy going to Ireland matches too much.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,213 ✭✭✭✭therecklessone

Good to see such a positive response!

I was at the Bolton-Spurs match last nigth and spent a lot of the 1st half, and nearly all of the 2nd standing. The stewards basically gave up (I think the presence of a rather thick-necked, excessively vocal, fan beside me convinced them it was safer for them to ignore us than take him on...:eek: )

My experience has been that the most vocal supporters of all clubs in the Premier League tend to stand quite a bit during games. That causes its own problems (fans behind them who don't want to stand, or are unable to, have the view blocked). Also, the Football Licensing Authority and local councils continue to threaten clubs with censure if they fail to enforce the ban on standing in their grounds, which is in no one's interests.

As mentioned above, Hillsborough was not simply caused by the use of terracing. Modern stadiums employing state of the art crowd control and proactive policing means that the ban on terracing is totally unnecessary.

I can't help but feel there's an element of social control in the ban on terracing, in that there is a desire to change the demographics of football supporters, replacing vocal, passionate working class support, with safe, placid middle class support (who have more disposable income to spend in the club shop...Kerching!) Its killing the atmosphere in top flight English football, instead we get Sky Sports over-hyping their rather sterile form of entertainment. :(

Just a few quick questions if I may, addressed to those who voted no in the poll. Do you attend top flight English football on a regular basis (I choose the Premier League because of the background to the all-seater stadium)? Do you consider the atmosphere to be an integral part of the experience?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

I most certainly would be in favour,al seated stadiums has killed the atmosphere,naturally with safety as paramount importance i believe a return to some terracing in Football would be a fantastic idea but it aint gonna happen im afraid.:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i love standing at games but i think that in the uk after hilsborough, and that its harder to keep tabs on the people in the crowd it wouldn't be viable, i voted no because of the danger element, but i'd be miffed if we went all-seater over here

Advertisement