Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teeth Whitening

• 08-11-2005 3:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭

Was at the dentist yesterday and he mentioned that my teeth were in great condition but that there was some discolouration for which he recommended a bleaching system by Discus Dental called "Nite White".

Just wondering has anybody had experience of getting their teeth whitened by a dentist (rather than the over the counter whitening toothpaste route) and if so how sucessfull did you find it ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭BoozyBabe

Yes, got it done in Belfast over quite a period of time (though I had extra work to get done to my teeth)

My sister also got it done in the US.

It works V well, I had V dark teeth & now everyone comments on how white they are (though not unnaturally so) (Except at a disco where those blue lights are that makes everything white glow, including your teeth!!!!)

Over the counter stuff is rubbish & does not work so don't even bother wasting the money.

I got top & bottom teeth done, but also had some filling work done, cost me £840stg (though don't remember how much of that was actually just for the whitening)

It's over a year since I got it done, I do think it's faded a little bit but everyone still comments.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Japonica

Hi,

If you have any one going on hols to America ask them to bring you back a pack of Crest Whitening Strips that you can get in any Chemist. They contain the exact same ingredients that the dentists use for only €34 for a years supply.

I've used them and they r fab....

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭bungeecork

If this is something you weren't thinking about until you dentist brought it up - then smile, don't get them whitened and save yourself a bucket-load of money.
    :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

I tried (a supermarket brand knock-off of) Nite White, which a friend brought me from America. It's like a bottle of Tippex that you paint onto each tooth every night for a fortnight. I tried to convince myself it had made a real difference, but in reality I don't think it really worked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,494 ✭✭✭✭Victor

I'm surprised a dentist suggested it - some of these products clean your teeth simply by stripping the outer layer off the tooth. So unless you have a major problem with you teeth, I wouldn't be enthusiatic about it.

I found that when I started brushing my teeth "religiously" (3+ times a day) that they did brighten a bit.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Hey my sis is a dentist down in limerick and i got mine bleached over the summer-it was absolutely fantastic!she just took a mould of my teeth and then a couple of weeks later you get this mouthguard type thing back for your upper and lower teeth.Then you just put this peroxide gel in and sleep with them in every night for about three weeks.It really worked-my teeth are britney spears white and it isnt painful or anything cos you just sleep with them in.I'd 100% reccomend it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

panda100 wrote:
    Hey my sis is a dentist down in limerick and i got mine bleached over the summer-it was absolutely fantastic!she just took a mould of my teeth and then a couple of weeks later you get this mouthguard type thing back for your upper and lower teeth.Then you just put this peroxide gel in and sleep with them in every night for about three weeks.It really worked-my teeth are britney spears white and it isnt painful or anything cos you just sleep with them in.I'd 100% reccomend it!

panda100 wrote:

yeah a friend used that worked great (reccomended by a dentist also)but i think it costs like €250 for the kit to get started and the €50/€100 for any refills you need in a few years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I have never whitened my teeth with bleaching products or anything exessive like that, I have very white teeth not sure why ?:) I brush my teeth twice a day and don't smoke so that helps and I don't use corrosive whitening toothpaste, there are bad in my opinion, I used to use the standard whitening toothpaste but now I realised it just soaps answer to Anti bacterial soap, in other words they are only good short term and over use will strip away teeth, Anti baterial soap like whitening toothpaste is now regarded as no better than the regular. so my advice is use tooth whitening paste sparingly they are like exfoliaters they they scrub the enamel and the result obviously look whiter as the tooth is wearing its coat away this is a vicous circle.

I'm proud to have white teeth without bleeching!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Britney Spears white is just a bit frightening.

I drink a lot of coffee, tea, red wine, all the bad stuff, but I use Colgate total whitening toothpaste 2-3 times a day, and my dentist cleans my teeth every six months. That to keep them clean enough for me. The american bleached look just scares me. Teeth actually aren't meant to be that white

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 gireland

I have to agree with Japonica. i recently got Chrest White Strips Premium Plus (make sure it's the premium plus version, way better). you can only get them in America, but they really really work. Now my teeth were white before hand. you are meant to use twice a day for a month or so, but i used it for a week, twice a day, and then once every 3 - 4 weeks!! i always get complimented on my teeth now and how clean / white they are!!! so, if you know anyone going to the states get them to pop into a CVS / Duane Reade and pick up the Premium Plus version of the White strips. they are all the rage in the states and really really work!!

give it a go, what have you got to loose. you can but save hundreds of euros!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

Japonica wrote:
    Hi,

If you have any one going on hols to America ask them to bring you back a pack of Crest Whitening Strips that you can get in any Chemist. They contain the exact same ingredients that the dentists use for only €34 for a years supply.

I've used them and they r fab....

How do you get a years supply for €34? Is that how long it takes to ware off after applying a box of it?

You can buy those strips online here for about €20

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Lex

DubGuy wrote:

Looks like they only deliver to the states.
    Anyone know of any site that will deliver these to Ireland?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 607 ✭✭✭DAEDULUS

my over-the-counter whitening toothpaste is better than i would have ever expected,teeth are sparklin :p[TAG][TAG][TAG][TAG][TAG]a[/TAG][/TAG][/TAG][/TAG][/TAG]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 gireland

I think was was meant by a years supply, as my box says, is the effect of one whole treatment (10 days) last upto 18 months (with the premium plus version)
    linky to chrest site: http://www.whitestrips.com/en_US/home.jsp?hasGoodBrowser=true

enjoy

DubGuy wrote:
    How do you get a years supply for €34? Is that how long it takes to ware off after applying a box of it?

What is wrong with natural white?? these products are ruining the enamel if you like it or not. these celebrities all have very white teeth because they have to look that extra good, why is it now becoming an obsession

where in Ireland's its relatively new to look after your teeth???
    They jump on the same boat as Amearica, :v:

My teeth are sparkling because I use the right toothpaste and brush only twice aday , keep away from sugury foods and don't drink coffee, savers me alot of miney too, colgate is probably the biggest selling toothpaste in ireland not because of its quality but of its advertizing whether there is one advertised over the counter or on Tv, In my opinion Colgate is crap, the one toothe paste that is spends most of its time advertising than spending time getting decent toothpaste :rolleyes:

I know the response will be, about Colgate, :rolleyes:

Its possible to have white teeth without buying these harmful expensive whitening toothpastes
    But then its free choice too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Victor wrote:
    I'm surprised a dentist suggested it - some of these products clean your teeth simply by stripping the outer layer off the tooth. So unless you have a major problem with you teeth, I wouldn't be enthusiatic about it.

I found that when I started brushing my teeth "religiously" (3+ times a day) that they did brighten a bit.
    I wouldn't be too gone on these whitening products......if you brush like Viktor says at least 3 times a day you will notice a difference in a week....and brush for at least 3 mins each time/.

your still wearing your teeth down, just like sanding wooden floors! they look cleaner when u resand them, logic , what does the dentist say to you:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,707 ✭✭✭skywalker

Lex wrote:
    Looks like they only deliver to the states.
    Anyone know of any site that will deliver these to Ireland?

I ordered a pack from http://www.cheapotc.com/Crest.htm last week, got them yesterday & they did free delivery, cant comment on the actual product yet as Ive yet to try it but cant fault the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Lex

skywalker wrote:
    I ordered a pack from http://www.cheapotc.com/Crest.htm last week, got them yesterday & they did free delivery, cant comment on the actual product yet as Ive yet to try it but cant fault the website.

Great stuff. Thanks.

Advertisement