Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

They want ur bloooood....

Options
  • 08-11-2005 4:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭

Saw the blood transfusion service down by the student centre this morning.
    Were/are they collecting it [is that the right word even??] today?
    Anybody here donate?

If they are ye should really consider it...

Top Ten Reasons [according to the Irish Blood Transfusion Board}

1]3,000 donations are needed in Ireland every week
    2]Red cells have a shelf life of 35 days
    3]Platelets have a shelf life of just 5 days
    4]Only 3% of the Irish population are donors, providing blood for a population of almost 4 million
    5]One in four people will need a transfusion at some point in their lives
    6]A car accident victim may require up to 30 units of blood
    7]A bleeding ulcer could require anything between 3-30 units of blood
    8]A coronary artery bypass may use between 1-5 units of blood.
    9]Over 1,000 people receive transfusions every week in Ireland
    10]An average adult has between 10 and 12 pints of blood - a blood donation is 470 mls, just slightly less than a pint

Dunno why i'm startin a thread on this but shure it can't do any harm really can it??

O and another thing...wtf is little mr. pacman meant to represent?:v:

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i've done it once in dolier street a month or two ago so i don't think i'm eligible to donate yet. rumor has it they feed you better in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

They don't want my blood..... :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

unclean unclean!!! [joking btw!]

yeah they dont want mine either... me feels so unloved....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

there's lots of things that can exclude you form giving blood - things everyone should answer honestly such as unprotected sex, drugs use etc.

shame on you drug takers!!! or eh other stuff!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

something to do with blood clots is my reason....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

medical and the eh other stuff!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

They dont want mine or seb's blood either:( -our english contaminated blood aint good enough for the Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Do you get sandwiches/orange juice/chocolate if you give blood on campus?
    I kinda like going to the place on d'olier street...but i am due to give blood and a little pressed for time outside of college. So if sandwiches are involved i'll drop in to the student centre tomorrow..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I don't think I can donate blood cos I'm on anti-biotics :( As soon as I can, I'll do it regularly... Seems ridiculous that only 3% of the population donates, when we just regenerate whatever blood we lose anyway!

Oh well..

Maybe if the blood transfusion place went around from house to house, they'd get more donations...? Dunno.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Is it going on all week or what? I wouldn't mind giving blood though I don't know my blood type. Do you need to know that to get it done?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭John_C

Be weary of an old nurse from the Philapines if she's there. It took her three goes to get the needle into me last time. I came out looking like a heroine addict.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

seriously lads, go to dolier street. much more relaxed and better food.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,051 ✭✭✭BKtje

Maybe if the blood transfusion place went around from house to house, they'd get more donations...? Dunno.

They are very particular about your history and its only gotten stricter recently. I know my dad can't give blood as he went to venezuala or something 25years ago. There are plenty of other things as well.

Personally i'm not fond of loosing blood. Cut top of my finger pretty badly once with a butchers knife in work. It wasn't all that sore or that i lost much blood but i _always_ go through a 5-10min phase where i feel really really dodgy. Its kinda annoying :p

I do mean to go one day tho. I guess this weeks as good as any if i can get myself to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

Donating blood is good, I need to dish it out regularily to all my patients who come in with problems and I always know when the supplies are dry when they add a few units of O- blood to the mix.

There was once night I was on call when the entire dublin city literally ran out of platelet pools and myself and a colleague of mine who both happened to be on call together had a patient each (from our day job) who needed 4 units each.

It was hell - when your platelets are low, you literally bleed out of your eyes and gums and even putting a tourniquet on to pass a canula will result in blood ozzing through the skin. Not nice.......

Please, please, please give blood if eligible......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭ghostchant

I gave blood there yesterday...and they do feed you pretty well...all the tayto you can eat!

And MNG, you don't need to know your blood type - I gave for the first time in ucd last year without knowing and they send you out your blood type on a little card.:v:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 141 ✭✭Hanginthere

I dont think im legable to give blood, there are loads of reasons you cant give it, I have a cold at the moment so I dont think I can. If someone gets the exclusion reasons they should put them up

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

You need to be over 18, weigh 8 stone or more and also 'pass' these rules.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,894 ✭✭✭Chinafoot

I cant donate until the end of February because I got another tattoo.

I'm always curious as to what blood type I am. I kow my dad and my sister are quite rare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

I cant donate until the end of February because I got another tattoo.

I'm always curious as to what blood type I am. I kow my dad and my sister are quite rare.

H+.... that is, Heiniken +....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

They wont take mine either. Something to do with a disease I have.

A lollipop to the one who can guess which one!!!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,635 ✭✭✭tribulus

are they really able to stop gay blokes giving blood?? seems a bit harsh

i'll be going on friday as i've only 3 lecs that day - instead of tayto crisps or whatever can they give you money to get proper food:o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

Go to D'olier street if you'll be in town on your way home or whatever... not sure what food is on offer in the student centre but there's a lot more, nice chairs and a good view in the main ibts place...

Going there at about 1:30 myself. although i was drinking that time 12 hours ago and i want to make sure that's not a problem before i get a bus to town..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 queen_kala

i didnt know they could give you money to buy real food! i thought that it was just in america where they pay you for your blood. interesting...

i cant donate blood cause i got a piercing in june and you have to wait a year, boo hoo. plus they really dont want my blood, im AB+, so im the universal recipiant.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

i probably still have drugs in my system so they wouldnt take it. Anyway Im as weak as a kitten and cant afford to give up blood

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭wheresthebeef

yes. they really do stop men who have sex with men from giving blood i.e Homosexual or Bisexual men.
    Its a practice which was instituted in the 1980's, but seems a bit out of date now seen as how most people with AID's in this country are non national women.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,246 ✭✭✭✭Riamfada

i.e Homosexual or Bisexual men.
    .............most people with AID's in this country are non national women.

Thats me excluded on both counts boo urns

Advertisement