Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

could someone nurse me through network setup :)

Options
  • 08-11-2005 5:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭

geez i dont know what the hell i am doing wrong -
    i have a 10/100 switch into which 3 computers 1 printer and a broadband router arew pplugged into.
    now all 3 pc's are getting internet fine so know hassle there
    i went through the network setup wizard on the 3 pcs and assigned them all the same workgroup - and turned on printer and file sharing -
    its not working though, i see the pcs in "my network places" but when i double click on the folder for that pc it tells me that is inaccessible and i might not have permission to access it,
    i don't know what to try next...
    any ideas
    i reckon its something simple,
    i tried dissabling all the ms firewalls (as the broadband router is a pretty good firewall)
    thanks for yere help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,426 ✭✭✭ressem

What operating system are each of the PCs running?

Guessing XP home.
    Have you set up the same user/password on each of the PCs? (Control panel/Users)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

yep xp pro-

are you sure each pc must have the same username and account?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Are they all using XP Pro?

Make sure Simple File Sharing is switched off.
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;304040

• Closed Accounts Posts: 411 ✭✭jasperok

my bad - one is xp pro and one is xp home
    i have them both logged in usig admin accounts, both using same login password
    disabled simple file sharing on the xp pro machine,?
    thing is the xp home pc can read the xp pro shared folder but i cant view the shared files on the xp home pc with my xp pro machine?.....

thanks for ye're help

Advertisement