Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

policy on stabbing someone in the face for blaring earphones in computer room?

• 08-11-2005 6:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭

So... what. will i incur a fine.. or just a slap on the wrists.

I'm unsure about whether or not i should tap her on the shoulder and ask her to turn it down.. trying to write something and all i can concentrate on is EVERY WORD of the crap songs she's listening to...
    At least she's going deaf i suppose. I generally bear this on the bus but this is a little mad... SHUT UP YOU INCONSIDERATE COW... AAAARGGHHH.. :mad:

*edit: she's gone...happiness. happiness...*

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

i don't know how that can bother you. in the elec project lab and more so in eng 321 there's practically a party going on most times.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,059 ✭✭✭BKtje

1st year comp sci lab is normally very peaceful. Least i hear nothing over my earphones ;)
    I do keep it low tho. I cant even hear it when i take em out and have em in me hands :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

hahaha... I'd like to sympathise, but really, if I had a good mp3 player, I'd be blaring them too :( Sorry for your troubles :(

p.s., if you just give them a little cut on the legs under the table, I don't think that counts as a crime. Just a thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Font22

nothing more irritating than that. i was in the library one day doing an essay and this complete idiot of a girl had her earphones in at full blast. she was sitting fairly faar away and yet i cud make out all the words to the music, good music in fairness, U2, BUT COME ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'M TRYING TO WORK WITH WHAT LITTLE TIME I HAVE!!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭rasher_b2

Just use the earphones cable as a makeshift fibre-wire, Problem solved. *dusts hands*

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,750 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

In the library, there's a guy who whistles at the top of his lungs after about 6pm on the top floor.

Closest I've come to belting someone since I caught font22 with my girlfriend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,541 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Closest I've come to belting someone since I caught font22 with my girlfriend.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Sounds interesting?

oh yea back to OT.

Yea I'd go over and ask to turn them it down. Some labs are noiser than others. Eng321 is def not the place to be if you want to do some serious work or study. So I think asking someone to be quiet there is like asking me to watch Titanic. Never going to happen!!!

But in other labs and def in the library I'll have no prob in going over and asking people to turn it down a bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Same with G15... nobody ever gets any real work done in there. 2nd CS lab is usually ok for getting stuff done, actually the 4th year lab is more of a madhouse!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,885 ✭✭✭Stabshauptmann

In the commmerce study rooms a lot of people dont use earphones. They just play music / videos wihtout a care in the world. And often you have a crowd standing around watching something "funny" and raoring laughing. Its so annoying that Ive taken to going to the library.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭beanyb

I'm gonna add people who stand around talking to friends who are using the computers, learn to whisper!! And also people who sit there openly having a conversation on their mobile, last week I sat beside some idiot girl who literally spent 15 minutes on her phone, and wouldnt stop no matter how many dirty looks I threw her way.

Oh and aswell, if your in a computer room, how difficult is it to put your mobile on silent? Grr...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,551 ✭✭✭panda100

Last year two days before my exams started i eventually found a seat in the library cept the guy beside me was blaring his music-it was so irritating so im kinda shy so couldnt pluck up the courage to tell him to turn it down so i just moved seats.Eventually found another seat and the girl had her ipod thingy turned up full blast so i just tapped her on the shoulder and asked if she'd turn it down-so her and the rest of her d4 posse laughed at me and told me to move seats if i didnt like her music!Was mega annoyed at this stage so filled out one of those complaint forms in the library saying walkmans shouldnt be allowed in the library cos it is a place for study not listning to music and if you must listen to music when you study then study somewhere else cos it distracts everyone else in the library.
    Hence i think passive is well within his rights to stab someone in the face for blaring headphones (and im not just saying that cos im from limerick and so like a bit of violence-hell yeah):)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 738 ✭✭✭TheVan

Stabbing in the face is way too extreme....kidnap them and send their body parts back piece by piece.....ears first!
    Ah no....some simple smack first followed by setting LibroCop on them!

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭pimpy_c

Red Alert wrote:
    i don't know how that can bother you. in the elec project lab and more so in eng 321 there's practically a party going on most times.

So true! Eng 321 is the place to be at times! Eng 125 used even be better until they took it away! Computer rooms are social gathering venues where people can share funny things they found on the internet! You want peace and quiet with your computer? Buy a laptop and go home!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Just lean over to these offensive ppl, pull out their headphones, and quietly whisper:

"If you do not turn down your music, eternity with Satan and all his trident-wielding minions will be a picnic compared to 5 minutes with me... And this pencil."

At this point you should wave a suitable sharp writing implement threateningly under their nose. Maybe a few throat-slitting gestures. Primal growling. That kind of thing.

If, after this extremely fair and amicable warning, they persist in the loudness...

...Proceed with the Face-Stabbing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭blondie83

Red Alert wrote:
    Yeah 321 was a great place - pretty much the social centre of eng once the shop closes in the afternoon. I'd usually get a suprising amount of work done there though:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

pimpy_c wrote:
    So true! Eng 321 is the place to be at times! Eng 125 used even be better until they took it away! Computer rooms are social gathering venues where people can share funny things they found on the internet! You want peace and quiet with your computer? Buy a laptop and go home!

Yeah, 125 was a loss though. It means 321 is fuller now too, you used to have a pick of computers every time you went in there.

give it a few more years and they'll do away with computer labs altogether and everyone will have their own laptop. Comm do it already, computer sci are moving that way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭Stepherunie

What's the policy about people who insisted on saving to memory keys or floppy disks for a solid hour?!?! I kid you not, was down in LG3 Last night trying to get my CAL done for physiology to be driving insane by that hum hum hum thing that computers do when saving on an external drive, I actually had to leave it was so annoying!

sounds like a broken floppy drive. No way could someone spend an hour saving stuff to a floppy, it will be full after 2 mins.

And pen drives are silent.

But yea very annoying. Reminds me of the older computers where the hard drives were quite loud. If you were in a lab at 9pm there would be this huge rise in volume as all the virus scanners kicked in at the same time to run the nightly scan. Very noisy!

• Advertisement

See now that's what I thought but no, she decided to fill about 30 floppys, grr it was utterly annoying, ended up having to leave.

30 floppies???

Welcome to the 21st century!

Anyway guaranteed at least 1 floppy won't work for them later! Ha ha! :v:

I'd call unfair if they all bloody well worked for her.... grr. I really need some anger management classes, we're soon to have a new type of rage in UCD, annoying computer lab rage....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Oh come on Steph, get over it. Either that, or get a pair of headphones. Just sticking them in your ears without having anything playing dulls the sound around you. You know you'd do your work regardless if you had to get it done. That's what the labs are for, isn't it? What's the point in doing all the work and not saving it? Complete waste of time and energy if you do that.

I don't see why people can't play music at a reasonable level so that they can hear it but it doesn't disturb everyone else around them, if for no other reason than it seriously damages your ears.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

yeah i like to have some music on when i'm typing just so i won't get distracted by other stuff, chilled out stuff and classical are great for maintaining a bit of focus. don't see a problem with it tbh as long as it's not blaring across the room. did anyone ever get reprimanded by student/staff for doing it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I'm always listening to music when I'm working in a computer lab... usually fairly loud too. However, I have a good pair of earphones which don't allow much sound to escape, so it's hard for whoever's around me to hear me. I've never had any complaints from my demonstrators when I've worn them in labs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

I'm listening to Frank Sinatra in the computer room!!! If my mp3 player could actually do it, I'd have it blaring as we speak :p

(btw, I want 'my way' played at my funeral :()

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,578 ✭✭✭Scraggs

i was in G3 yesterday and i couldnt stop laughing at a guy next to me watchin westlife video you raise me up and it was blarin...
    he seemed a real mans man so it was kinda weird!

There's always one....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 37,303 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Jeebus.. people leave the computer lab, cos the computers make too much noise...:rolleyes: what did you expect?:confused:

Advertisement