Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accepting an MBE?

Options
  • 08-11-2005 6:27pm

I see the Corrs got honourary MBEs. I presume this makes them the first Louth Catholics to accept this gesture.

A nice bowl of soup might have been more appropriate, put some meat on those bones...

Either way, would you accept such an award, or would you tell them to stuff it because (i) it's a British 'thing' or (ii) it's a Monarchy 'thing'?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭NineMoons

Stuff it. Politely. Both reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Of course I'd accept it, it's an award from another country, recognising your contribution. It's an accolade of yours, not of the country presenting it to you.

Of course, if it was a knightship, I'd do it properly and ask Bertie's permission first :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

I wouldn't for both reasons. Plus award ceremonies make me cringe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd only accept an OBE or higher.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 21,504 Mod ✭✭✭✭Agent Smith

my father would Kill me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

cant see how (in the case of the corrs anyway) it is much different that the Ordre des Arts et des Lettres, would people here turn that down because it was a "french thing"?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭Jimmy_Jazz

I wouldn't, mainly because of the second thing. And a little bit of the first, thanks to the completely unjustified contempt that's been pre-programmed into my very being.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

If I did something that would get such recognition from a country... of course!
    Would look snazzy on my CV too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

If a friendly democratic foriegn government sees fit to bestow an honour it would be churlish not to accept it. Anything else is just Brit bashing (in this case).

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Snickers Man

I believe the version they got was an 'honorary' one which applies to non-British subjects as opposed to the full-fat British one.

So I couldn't object to that.

It's a bit like Geldof's honorary KCBE. He's strictly not allowed to be called Sir Robert because he retains Irish citizenship despite the fact that he's lived in Britain for nearly 30 years and therefore does not have the full entitlement.

What gets my goat is the likes of Sir Anthony O'Reilly who changes his nationality to suit his business interests presenting himself as the face of modern Irish business and still claiming the full knighthood.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Other honorary MBEs include:
    Daniel O'Donnell (my Mammy would be so proud...)
    Peter Schmeichal (I can see Man Utd fans changing their minds now..)
    Frankie Dettori
    Rita Gilligan (Irish woman who joined the Hard Rock Cafe as a waitress on its opening day, June 14 1971, and has remained with the organisation ever since).

• Registered Users Posts: 546 ✭✭✭abakan

sure is it not about tickets sales??

Besides them being from Dundalk - good republician town - you'd wonder why they accepted it

i dont think i would accept it, its a brittish thing and it looks like they still have some kind of hold over people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

whiskeyman wrote:
    Other honorary MBEs include:
    Daniel O'Donnell (my Mammy would be so proud...)
    Peter Schmeichal (I can see Man Utd fans changing their minds now..)
    Frankie Dettori
    Rita Gilligan (Irish woman who joined the Hard Rock Cafe as a waitress on its opening day, June 14 1971, and has remained with the organisation ever since).

What did Schmiechel do to make ManU fans dislike him (or am I misreading that)?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭cal29

No

Not because it is British but because of what the letters stand for

Member of the British Empire an empire that enslaved and murdered millions of people around the world

The Corrs should be ashamed of themselves

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

If an MBE is an honour, what's an honorary MBE?
    I presume this makes them the first Louth Catholics to accept this gesture.

Hasn't boards.ie got an embee from Louth?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 KieranusTyranus

I am fed up wit the west brits that post on this site. I would refuse to accept anything from a country which killed millions of people around the world and is also a monarchy.
    Ive said it before and ill say it again. What England did to Ireland was far worse than what Hitler did to the Jews.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Not even the prize money if you won the UK lottery?

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭Dar

What England did to Ireland

Did. Past tense. More than a hundred years in the past tense. Get over it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,730 ✭✭✭✭simu

whiskeyman wrote:

It's true! I'm underwhelmed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭limerick_man

It just means that you've made a great contribution to the UK! If you've already done it accept the honor, cause thats what it is ... an honour!

Many Irish people have been given honours from other countries other than Ireland, sure Bill Clinton has freedom of Limerick City, I'm sure the public in america didnt say he shouldn't have accepted it!

Congrats to the Corrs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ziggy

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

ziggy67 wrote:
    What exactly is democratic about a monarchy Mike?

I'm a scot & i can't understand why anyone would accept one of these trinkets from people who's position is given to them just because they are born into a certain family.
    In this day and age i honestly can't comprehend why anyone bows down to these parasites.

I think you'll discover that the UK is subject to rule by government which is formed by the majority party in a free vote of universal sufferage. The role of the constitutional monarchy is minimal, as in rubber stamping the elected govenment. I would'nt feel to oppressed if I were you.

Mike.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I would not accept anything that has imperialistic tones to it or associated with the parasites that inhabit a free dwelling in London (and other places)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 255 ✭✭ratboy

could you accept anything associated with grossly unfair pile of **** that is the fact that you can be as rich as that just by having good genes, Keith Richards was right.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

I would accept it. and congratulations to the Corrs for receiving it. It is nice to see Irish people receiving recognition for their charitable works.

Objecting to it because it comes from britain in this day and age is nothing short of bigotry.

Does it come with a cash prize?

ziggy67 wrote:
    I could well be wrong but i thought the UK was subject to rule by "her majesty". The Government is "her majestys Government" not the "Peoples Government".
    But that is just semantics, i think you know what i meant in my post- that the monarchy is unelected- therefore, IMO anyway, the UK can't really be considered a democracy.

And thanks for your concern about my oppression but since i'm no longer paying taxes to that shower of inbred freeloaders i feel much better. Thanks

Define democracy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Conor74 wrote:
    Either way, would you accept such an award, or would you tell them to stuff it because (i) it's a British 'thing' or (ii) it's a Monarchy 'thing'?
    The Irish can’t really get past the British monarchy thing. Other nations have monarchies, but it’s not really what we think of when we hear the term. Most Irish don’t even seem to realize that other countries have knighthoods, even republics. As a result we don’t have a similar system here in Ireland of honouring citizens who have contributed to Society or the State (well, we have Freedom of the City :rolleyes: ). In fact, I think we may be the only nation in Europe that does not.

Part of this is because anything that hints at monarchy will automatically remind us of the British monarchy, but ultimately it’s because if we do have a tradition of rewarding people for successes, that tradition is begrudgery.

There’s something to feel patriotic about.

• Advertisement

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement