Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestion: Resuming thread where you left off

Options
  • 08-11-2005 6:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭

Seamus's thread just reminded me of something I suggested after the update, but I think it may have got muddled up in all the snag list stuff, so now that the dust has settled, i thought i'd just run it by you.

Basicly, it's the same as straight after you post, you are automatically redirected to your post at the end of the thread, or it's also the same as when you click on your post in the list of "My posts", it directs you to that post in the thread.

My idea would be that you could click on the envelope on the side of the thread, with the arrow icon to indicate you have posted in the thread, it would redirect you to your last post in that thread, so for example if you didnt remember what page you were on in a long thread, you could just continue reading from where you left off, and last posted.

I'm not sure if this would involve search being enabled, and maybe it would add extra demand on search if/when it's reinstated...but I think it would be very handy if it was easy enough to put in place.
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

Wouldn't what you suggest increase the stress that the search function is already causing the server?.. It's a good idea but I'm not sure of when search is going to be re-enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Afaik, the search does incorporate this. There is a link for "Go to latest post in this thread", which technically links to the newest post since your last_visit_date has been set.

This is not wholly reliable though - based on the same things that mark threads/forums read as you browse.

To inplement "showthread.php?goto=mylast" wouldn't put any extra strain on the server, though it could be a quite fickle mod.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

DubGuy wrote:
    My idea would be that you could click on the envelope on the side of the thread, with the arrow icon to indicate you have posted in the thread, it would redirect you to your last post in that thread, so for example if you didnt remember what page you were on in a long thread, you could just continue reading from where you left off, and last posted.

Fantastic idea DubGuy.
    seamus wrote:
    Afaik, the search does incorporate this. There is a link for "Go to latest post in this thread", which technically links to the newest post since your last_visit_date has been set.

I'm not too sure about the last_visit_date setting, I have had loads of problems with threads constantly appearing as unread no matter how times I have viewd and refreshed it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

seamus wrote:
    To inplement "showthread.php?goto=mylast" wouldn't put any extra strain on the server, though it could be a quite fickle mod.
    Don't see how it'd be fickle, it'd just go to the last post you made in the thread

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

steveland? wrote:
    Don't see how it'd be fickle, it'd just go to the last post you made in the thread
    I've never hacked vB to bits, but there could have to be another query and/or a redirect.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,842 ✭✭✭steveland?

seamus wrote:
    I've never hacked vB to bits, but there could have to be another query and/or a redirect.
    Well I dunno about hacking the actual vB code to make it work but it'd be different to the way vB checks for unread posts since it wouldn't be relying on the last time you visited.

It'd just be going to the last post you made in the thread. I'd imagine there's a hack for this somewhere or at least it could be requested on the vB support forum and the coders could come up with something for you.

I've always found on the phpBB Mod request support forum any time I or someone else have requested a hack it's been coded up by the experts quickly enough (if possible, which I assume this one is) with step by step code changes.

Advertisement