Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Park at Grand Canal Dock

Options
  • 08-11-2005 7:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 169 ✭✭

This is a suggestion I "unveiled" on a Commuting/Transport thread. But I think it's worth looking at it on its own merits in the city.

Suggestion is to turn the (outer?) canal dock beside Grand Canal Dock station - not the (inner?) dock (between Ringsend Road and the Liffey) into a public park -with a canal running through it.

(The commuting/transport aspect of this was that there'd be an underground station underneath this park, but that's probably not important to its merits as a park).

Now ordinarily, I wouldn't be in favour of getting rid of nice expanses of water in the city, but in this case, I think the advantages might be as follows:

-The dock doesn't get used. There are no boats there, except for about 2 days in the year when there's the Grand Canal festival. That could just as easily take place in the other dock, the one between Ringsend Road and the Liffey. And the local kids who used to jump off the building on the bridge can no longer do so because that's been fenced off.

-There are no seats for anyone to sit beside it and enjoy the water. So it doesn't enjoy that aspect that you get with other parts of the canal. Unfortunately, it's not an aspect you could easily change, as there are buildings right up against the water.

-You could keep the Waterways Ireland "box" there.

-As a park, it might get used.

And you could fill it in with all the spoil from these tunnels were building.

Any thoughts?

Advertisement