Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Venables Favourite for Ireland Job

• 08-11-2005 8:10pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭

AERTEL wrote:
    VENABLES FAVOURITE FOR IRISH JOB
    Paddy Power have slashed Terry
    Venables' odds of becoming the next
    Ireland manager from 13/2 to 1/4.

Venables has been subject of a huge
    gamble today and is now by far the best
    backed manager in the bookie's book.

Many different managers have been
    supported in this race so far, but this
    plunge is the most significant.

The betting company saw the steady flow
    of support for the Englishman in the
    Cork area, but within an hour the
    rumour had spread nationwide.

What the hell is going on here? I mean 1/4 on!! Thats nuts. the bookies must know something that no one else does and who are these people putting on all the bets? I hope to god those peope are mis-informed as I really dont want Venables as the new manager after the absolute disaster he had with my club Leeds.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,164 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

But what about the job he did with England? I don't think this would be all that bad a decision. Better than Steve Staunton anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

I think he would be a decent choice to be honest...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I may be slightly biased against him :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

hes the best of whats left, thats for sure.

Didnt think he'd work for so little money though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Whats he up to at the moment?
    anyone know?
    Too right about the Staunton rumour... what ever happened to that?
    And someone else mentioned Aldo was getting it this week?
    Not sure about El Tel... someone has just posted in the poker forum that the deal is already done and some bets are off.
    Crikey! http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/11/08/story229337.html

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I dont think he is up to anything at the moment which would only enhance his chances of becoming the next boss. Somebdy obviously got some info somehwhere and the word spread and thats why all the bets were made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

6/4 on betfair move quick quick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,193 ✭✭✭[Jackass]

hes the best of whats left, thats for sure.

Didnt think he'd work for so little money though

I don't know about that, he's certainly one of the best, but I'd still have burley as one of the moet suited to the position imo. He's done amzingly well with limited resources in the past at club level.
    whiskeyman wrote:
    Whats he (venables) up to at the moment?

Pundatry afaik .... dosen't he still do champions league on ITV?

Himself or Burley are both very good options imo, venables has good international experience, he got England to euro '96 semi finals, and has been around the block. I would be happy enough if he got the job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

he did ok when england manager,semis of the euro champs(i hate penos)would do a decest for ireland i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,625 ✭✭✭✭okidoki987

He would be a class choice for the Ireland job.
    He has the experience and a proven track record (excluding Leeds).
    Would prefer him to Stan any day.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

He's not too bad but too much cockney arrogance for my liking so no i wouldn't be in favour:v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,838 ✭✭✭DapperGent

It's my worst fúcking nightmare.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,800 ✭✭✭county

jonny68 wrote:
    He's not too bad but too much cockney arrogance for my liking so no i wouldn't be in favour:v:
    you mean it would be like del boy trotter managing the irish team,yes and trigger could be his assistant:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭jonny68

county wrote:
    you mean it would be like del boy trotter managing the irish team,yes and trigger could be his assistant:D

something like that:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭Jivin Turkey

At least he has enough experience and tactical nous for the job.

I've never really liked him as a club manager, but he has had some big jobs in football and has been reasonably successful across the board. He is guaranteed to command respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Johnny_the_fox

please god no... :eek:

/me runs off to say the rosary

He has experience ill give im that but I still dont think he is a particularily good manager or what we are looking for. How much experience does El Tel have with bringing through younger players? Very little. We need someone who can bring players through as we are in a period where the team has to change.

I agree he would be a better choice than the likes of Stan but he still wouldnt be too high on my list

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

I'd be in favour of Venables. His England team in 96 were a breath of fresh air and he nearly even got Australia to the 98 WC.

On the downside he's always in demand doesn't seem to ever stay in one job long enough to fix a mess as big as ours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

My first reaction was No Way, not Venables, but then I started to think who else is there? Nobody really, so he is probably the best of a bad bunch, he has to be better than Stan or Aldo. The only other reasonable option is George Burley as far as I can see.

I'm not looking forward to his arrogant interviews after we lose a match describing how the team are just not good enough and how he is such a wonderful manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

I think we could do a lot worse than El Tel. I'd be happy enough to have him as manager. It's a dead end job so no you ambitious manager is ever going to take it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

jonny68 wrote:

"A loveable rogue" is how he describes it..................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

In fairness Terry will not come cheap for this job , What is going to be his motivation for actually doing the job ? Do you guys think that players will respond will to yet another English manager that has no connection with footbal in ireland ? , and has not had any success in a long long time.

Terry has been out of the game a long time as well how much does he actually know about The irish players in england ? Also how is this apointment going to develop football back home.

I would give the job to John alridge , who would work for much less wage then Terry Venables , and bend over back ways for the job.

Aldo would also be a great motivator for the players as he would manage with the passion he has for Ireland. The home game can only improve as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Sarge wrote:
    In fairness Terry will not come cheap for this job , What is going to be his motivation for actually doing the job ?
    Ture, he may be gone as soon as a bad result or 2
    Sarge wrote:
    Do you guys think that players will respond will to yet another English manager that has no connection with footbal in ireland ?

What are you on about ?, the only English manager Ireland have ever had was Charlton.
    The players did'nt respond to a manager who was steeped in the workings of Irish football (Kerr) so what difference does it make where he is from.
    Sarge wrote:
    I would give the job to John alridge , who would work for much less wage then Terry Venables , and bend over back ways for the job.
    Aldo would also be a great motivator for the players as he would manage with the passion he has for Ireland. The home game can only improve as well.
    I personally would much prefer to see Burley in the job and I don't believe that being Irish should be a major factor. Aldo may be Irish (like McCarthy) but he has feck all managerial experience.

You said that terry might be gone after 1 or two games in charge , so what would be the point of that and wouldnt that just leave us back in the situation we find ourselves in now ?

Also wouldnt that mean that he would sacked and means that The FAI would have to pay out his contract.

What i meant earlier , as a avid eircom league supporter i want to see the game at home developing with the top players hoping to get a call up , i dont see that happening under venables , burley

They will just fly in for training / games and then fly home , i want more from the manager and expect more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭The Clown Man

Sarge wrote:
    Do you guys think that players will respond will to yet another English manager that has no connection with footbal in ireland ?

A group of players many of whom are english who play their football in england and are generally managed by other english managers?

Yes.

What connection does the Irish team have with Irish football? The only connection they have is the knowledge that if they fail completely they might end up there.

Hell, an English manager will probably be good for morale.

Sarge wrote:
    You said that terry might be gone after 1 or two games in charge , so what would be the point of that and wouldnt that just leave us back in the situation we find ourselves in now ?.
    Also wouldnt that mean that he would sacked and means that The FAI would have to pay out his contract.
    I'd guess he would resign if things got bad and go back to a TV job.
    I will never trust the FAI to make a lomg term decision, I do not believe Venables is the type of manager we need to build the team lomg term

Sarge wrote:
    What i meant earlier , as a avid eircom league supporter i want to see the game at home developing with the top players hoping to get a call up , i dont see that happening under venables , burley

They will just fly in for training / games and then fly home , i want more from the manager and expect more.

I can't see many EL players getting call ups under any manager. Everyone though Kerr would do more of it but he did'nt, was it 2 he called up Doyle and Crowe for friendlies and gave them 10 mins as subs ?.

Any manager other than a current or former EL manager will just fly in and out, Irish or not most are living in the UK anyway and their football 'knowledge' or 'background' is in the UK so it's unlikely EL player will get a look.

I think teh EL needs cahnging and development (money, marketing etc) before you can expect EL players getting regular call-ups.

My point is that the FAI should be looking for a manager to work within the country in developing the profile and the game at home.Terry wouldnt do so.

Sarge wrote:
    My point is that the FAI should be looking for a manager to work within the country in developing the profile and the game at home.Terry wouldnt do so.

I see where you are coming from but who exactly would fit the above and still give us a chance of qualifing for major tournaments, which is what the FAI (and the majority of people) want ?.

Alod would not
    Steve Staunton would not
    Roddy might:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

What are you on about ?, the only English manager Ireland have ever had was Charlton.
    Aldo may be Irish (like McCarthy) .

Just what part of the emerald Isle do you think mccarthy (and I resent being made to write his name) hails from?

• Advertisement

So, the latest is:
    FAI keeping quiet.
    Venables denies applying (no point as its a headhunt) and denies approach by FAI.
    BBC "believe" FAI have approached.
    Bookies think someone knows something...

In regards to getting a manager to pick players from the EL... forget about it.
    If Kerr told Trundle that he'd have to player in a higher standard to get in the team, EL is out of the question.
    You just cant compare.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

El Tel(TM) has issued a statement saying he has'nt been headhunted as far as he knows.

http://www.itn.co.uk/news/88352.html

and the FAI deny all knowledge too!

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=19904

therefore....!

Mike.

padser wrote:
    Just what part of the emerald Isle do you think mccarthy (and I resent being made to write his name) hails from?

The OP said

Seeing as McCarthy played for and captained the ROI I don't think he fits the above.

He may be English born but as he played for ROI I believe he is Irish.

I would liek to see John Alridge i think he could do a job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

im not in favor of venables for some resons;

he hasnt had glory since euro 96 with england

he seems to be always involved in public controversy(getting banned from clubs,court dates etc)and this is the last thing we need, remember how all the puplicity affected mccarthy and the team(helped by roy!)

he failed to get australia to the 1998 world cup

he joined middlesborugh in 1999, but they only escaped relagation....

present day he is a pundit, my question is can a manager still have his talent after 6 years without managing and 9 years without triumph?

i say NO!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I don't think I'd like to see Venables in the Irish job. If he did get it I feel that he'd only be in the job to make a fast buck. Although, having said that he'd be very foolish to think that he'd make much from the FAI.

B.

• Advertisement

present day he is a pundit, my question is can a manager still have his talent after 6 years without managing and 9 years without triumph?

He managed leeds not so long ago and was sacked in 2003 after he was a spectacular failure so he hasnt been that long out of the game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

he joined middlesborugh in 1999, but they only escaped relagation....

He saved thier ass, 'boro were heading straight towards Division One when he became the "head coach".

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

padser wrote:
    Tallow, Waterford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote:
    Tallow, Waterford.

Was he not born in Barnsley?

B.

mike65 wrote:
    El Tel(TM) has issued a statement saying he has'nt been headhunted as far as he knows.

http://www.itn.co.uk/news/88352.html

and the FAI deny all knowledge too!

http://www.eleven-a-side.com/boysingreen/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=19904

therefore....!

Mike.

All the above means only 2 things

1. Both the FAI and Veneadles are bluffing and he will be announced as manager later this week
    or
    2. Some Cork folks had an awful lot of money to throw away

• Advertisement

BaZmO* wrote:

B.
    i concur... his father was from Tallow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

Sarge wrote:
    You said that terry might be gone after 1 or two games in charge , so what would be the point of that and wouldnt that just leave us back in the situation we find ourselves in now ?

Venebales wont turn his back on the money. The FAI wont sack him after 2 games. He tel decides to leave himself they dont have to pay off his contract.

Sarge wrote:
    Do you guys think that players will respond will to yet another English manager that has no connection with footbal in ireland ? , and has not had any success in a long long time.

History is in the English managers favour. Charlton took us to a Quarter final in the World Cup. Where as the homegrown kerr reached the dizzying heights of 4th place in the qualifying groups. And how many EL did kerr pick in his squad? Glen crowe was that it? The reason EL players wont be picked is because there not good enough. The sooner El supporters realise this the better.
    Sarge wrote:
    Terry has been out of the game a long time as well how much does he actually know about The irish players in england ? Also how is this apointment going to develop football back home.

THe Irish managers job isnt to develop football bac home. Thats the job of the youth managers. The manager of Ireland should be concetrating of getting us to World Cup and European cup finals. No chance in hell of that happening with a squad of EL players.
    Sarge wrote:
    Aldo would also be a great motivator for the players as he would manage with the passion he has for Ireland. The home game can only improve as well

So you would only hire Aldo cos hes cheaper? Thats sounds like typical FAI carry on. Thankfully they seem to be steering away from that. If they can afford Tel they should hire him. He has a proven track record in the Premier league and at international level. What has aldo done?

How excactly will alridge improve the home game?! You dont honestly think he will start picking EL players do you? Managing with passion is a load of bollox, you need alot more then that to be a good manager. If the only good thing you can say about his "managerial skills" is that he can manage with passion then theres something seriously wrong with that.

whiskeyman wrote:
    i concur... his father was from Tallow.

Ok we are into a whole who is Irish and who is a mercinary debate here.

Personally I don't like McCarthy but I have no doubt that he considers himself Irish over anything else.
    The same may not be true of Andy Townsend, Alan Kernighan, Jason McAteer, Clinton Morrison, Bernie Slaven and some others but I centinaly believe that McCarthy sees himself and Irish and that is fine with me.
    Sarge wrote:
    I would liek to see John Alridge i think he could do a job
    What has Aldridge done that give you the idea that he would
    Sarge wrote:
    work within the country in developing the profile and the game at home
    ?

Aldridge has spent all his footballing career and his short stint of managment in the UK, what does he know about domestic Irish football and what would make him take an interest in it ??

Does he even do TV work for an Irish TV station ?

If you want a manager that will work within the country then you select an existing or former EL manager and take your chances.

The last time that happned his contract was not renewed and we did not qualify for anything.

The job of the Irish manager is not to promote the game in Ireland or to develope the eircom league, its to get Ireland to the World Cup/ Euro Champs and thats it. We cant be choosing managers just because you think they will pick EL players you have to pick the right man for the job. Im not saying venables is the right man, in fact I dont think he is. Fact is though that its not the Irish managers job to raise the profile of the game in this country.

Ok we are into a whole who is Irish and who is a mercinary debate here.
    No we're not... someone asked where he "hails from"... eirebhoy said "Tullow".
    There was some mixup, so I clarified he was born in Barnsely, but his father is from Tullow (the reason he could play for us).

I have no doubt either many of the English born players consider themselves Irish. I admire some of these players more for that fact.. some seem to play with more passion.
    Kingp35 wrote:
    The job of the Irish manager is not to promote the game in Ireland or to develope the eircom league, its to get Ireland to the World Cup/ Euro Champs and thats it. We cant be choosing managers just because you think they will pick EL players you have to pick the right man for the job. Im not saying venables is the right man, in fact I dont think he is. Fact is though that its not the Irish managers job to raise the profile of the game in this country.
    Exactly.

BaZmO* wrote:

B.
    I know but padser is trying to say that Mick isn't Irish. He is Irish. I seen an extract from a book posted on the net about a year ago. An Iranian reporter asked Mick before the 2nd leg whether his "Englishness" is a detriment when managing the Irish team. He gave him a big stare and then a lecture about Iranian's emigrating to other countries for a better living, etc. I'm sure Roy Keane doesn't regard his kids as English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,432 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Sarge wrote:

Half the ireland team is english anyways, with a distant irish granny (bless the granny ruling)

So far english managers are the only thing that has worked.

Great success with Charlton
    Decent success with McCarthy(okay not english, but he sounded english)
    No success with Kerr

And while the current crop of players is nowhere near the standard we used to have, half of them are still english and the good half, might i add, Maybe an English manager is our only real chance for success

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Half the ireland team is english anyways, with a distant irish granny (bless the granny ruling)

So far english managers are the only thing that has worked.

Great success with Charlton
    Decent success with McCarthy(okay not english, but he sounded english)
    No success with Kerr

And while the current crop of players is nowhere near the standard we used to have, half of them are still english and the good half, might i add, Maybe an English manager is our only real chance for success

Who gave this guy access to the forum?

Thats a comment you usually hear from someone with no interest in football. The only English players in our squad are Morrison and Holland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

I cant see the FAI appointing anyone "Irish" in the management role. They want someone with expierence and someone who obviously wants the job. Those two factors lead only to the possibility of a foreign coach be it English or otherwise. Dave O'Leary, Martin O'Neill - they aint interested. Other Irish candidates dont have the expierence. What I see happening is a few "Irish" coaches being appointed by the FAI to work with the foreign coach/manager who does have the expierence. I would expect the coaches to come from the Charlton days and have some expierence of coaching. Likes of Aldrige, Stan etc., maybe the thinking would be to groom them to be future managers?

If the goal of the FAI is to purely improve the eircom league I think it would be good to get eircom league managers/coaches, the irish ones at least, to work with the national side, at whatever age group to try and improve their knowledege. I assume a good coach will only get better by working with a better coach!?!?

Anyhow, tis anyones guess what the clowns at the FAI are going to do...

I'd love if whoever it was from cork who backed El Tel did it purely to get much bigger odds on the definite next Irish manager, I realise how much cash this would take and how absoulutely ludacris it is but I'd love to see it happen and work out in the profit. Dont like the bookies :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement