Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Venables Favourite for Ireland Job

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,793 ✭✭✭chillywilly

Kingp35 wrote:
    He managed leeds not so long ago and was sacked in 2003 after he was a spectacular failure so he hasnt been that long out of the game :D

well i left that one out as it was so obvious he made a mess that i didnt have to point itout:D

come on *stan!!

*stan is a total fictional character who i created in my head and should not be mistaken for my support of steve staunton as rep of ireland manager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

johnor wrote:
    I realise how much cash this would take and how absoulutely ludacris it is but I'd love to see it happen and work out in the profit.

It wouldn't take anything near the amount as you might think. In a market like this a €500 bet would have to bookies running for cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

eirebhoy wrote:
    I know but padser is trying to say that Mick isn't Irish. He is Irish. I seen an extract from a book posted on the net about a year ago. An Iranian reporter asked Mick before the 2nd leg whether his "Englishness" is a detriment when managing the Irish team. He gave him a big stare and then a lecture about Iranian's emigrating to other countries for a better living, etc. I'm sure Roy Keane doesn't regard his kids as English.
    I kinda gathered what you were talking about alright. And I also agree that if I was to have children in another country I'd still consider them to be Irish. I actually have a lot of cousins that were born in England to Irish parents who consider themselves to be totally Irish.

B.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

BaZmO* wrote:
    Was he not born in Barnsley?

B.

As far as I know he's the same as finnan, born here, raised there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

eirebhoy wrote:
    I'm sure Roy Keane doesn't regard his kids as English.

It doesn't matter what he regards them as.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭Davey Devil

Yes it does. Just because he brought them up in a foreign country doesn't make them English.

Ronan O'Gara was born in California, are you going to tell me he's American?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Yes it does. Just because he brought them up in a foreign country doesn't make them English.

Ronan O'Gara was born in California, are you going to tell me he's American?

I couldn't give a damn about Ronan O'Gara. My point is that the individual is the only person who should make the decision about their nationality and if Roy Keane (or whoever) are using their influence to sway their kids to go one way rather than the other then they are a bollox.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

Pigman II wrote:
    I couldn't give a damn about Ronan O'Gara. My point is that the individual is the only person who should make the decision about their nationality and if Roy Keane (or whoever) are using their influence to sway their kids to go one way rather than the other then they are a bollox.
    There's not a chance any of my kids will be anything other than Irish no matter where they're born. :) It'll be drummed into them like it was Trundle. :)

Anyway, back on topic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

Trundle for manager!
    that way he can pick himself!

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

eirebhoy wrote:
    There's not a chance any of my kids will be anything other than Irish no matter where they're born. :) It'll be drummed into them like it was Trundle. :)

Anyway, back on topic.
    I can foresee someone having issues relating to their kids if they end up raising them in a different country!

"You're Irish, and that's the end of it."
    "Pour quoi papa?"
    "Because Ireland is the greatest country in the world and it's your duty to agree. While we're at it, sing me a verse of the old Athenry and then go study your bible."

... anyway, I reeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaally hope El Tel does not get the job. Someone brainwash Fat Sam Allardici into taking the job quick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,178 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Interesting piece in todays Telegraph......there's obviously no current dialog...well not directly anyway

VENABLES FOR IRELAND
    Terry Venables is widely expected to be appointed Brian Kerr's successor as the Republic of Ireland manager.

The Daily Telegraph says that El Tel will accept the job 'if the terms and conditions are acceptable.'

However, the FAI appear to be in no hurry to make their move for Venables, with 'an associate' of the former England coach telling The Daily Mirror: "Terry wants this job. He sees it as a great opportunity and believes the Ireland team has a lot of potential. He hasn't met the FAI yet. He hasn't even spoken to them. And he definitely won't apply for the job.

"But if the people in charge come to him then he will happily sit down and talk. He is interested but they have to make the first move."

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I think Venables is basically just throwing his hat into the ring and letting the FAI know that he is interested in taking the job on. I still dont think he is the right man but he certainly is favourite at the moment as he seems to be the only person that is getting mentioned at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,051 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

From skysports.com http://home.skysports.com/list.asp?hlid=325394&cpid=219&CLID=&lid=2&title=El+Tel+admits+Ireland+interest&channel=football_home
    El Tel admits Ireland interest

Terry Venables has confirmed that he would be interested in becoming the next manager of Republic of Ireland.

The former England boss has previously remained coy about his interest in returning to management but in an interview with Sky Sports News, has now confirmed he might find Ireland difficult to resist.

With Ireland's FA set to step-up their search for a successor to Brian Kerr, several names have entered the frame, including Steve Staunton, David O'Leary, George Burley and John Aldridge but it now appears Venables tops their wish list.

Venables has been out of football since leaving Leeds, but having accrued experience of international football with both England and Australia, does appear to be an ideal candidate.

''I'm doing other things now and I've been offered quite a lot of positions,'' Venables told Sky Sports News.

''I've had a great time playing and coaching but if something special came up like Ireland, which is international, it might be interesting.

"I don't know anything about it, only what's in the newspapers. That's the truth.

"There are many rumours but until this moment, I have had no contact from them."

Yup, i'd say his probably rather large hat is well and truly in the ring now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

yikes! :p

Mike.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

I would LOVE it if we got him, LOVE it!

Well maybe not, but it had to be said!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,617 ✭✭✭✭PHB

Hey, it'd be nice to see Ireland playing some attacking football, Keegan would give us that, also incredible man motivating

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Ok I for one would love to know whats going with all these people putting on bets. there has been so many different favourites so far and now this is the second time the bookies have suspended betting because of so many bets. Where are people hearing these rumours because it seems that no one on boards hears them.

DOnt want Keegan as manager either to be honest but again he is probably one of the best thats available at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

PHB wrote:
    Hey, it'd be nice to see Ireland playing some attacking football, Keegan would give us that, also incredible man motivating

And then he'd do a runner as soon as the heat was on.

B.

Advertisement