Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are two catholic majority counties included in the North???

Options
  • 08-11-2005 8:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 46

Fermanagh and Tyrone have a Nationalist majority and are in the north. Why???
    Sinn Fein should stop pressing for a 32 county and try to win back these two.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Originally all 9 counties in Ulster was part of NI but after redrawing the maps to ensure a Protestant majority overall only six was left.

edit Actually I'm not too sure about this. Can anyone of the more lerned fellows here clarify this? /edit

• Registered Users Posts: 12,582 ✭✭✭✭Sand

Because theyre British, last I heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 KieranusTyranus

What is that supposed to mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

They are included because Ulster was partioned to ensure an inherent built in Unionist majority. There was meant to be a Border Commission which would look at the current border but it never materialised. It is called democracy in action

6 counties = largest area with a built in Unionist majority
    7+ counties = Nationalist majority

• Registered Users Posts: 3,775 ✭✭✭Nuttzz

try to win back these two.

LOL, it would be like winning dusty bin on 3-2-1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 483 ✭✭lazydaisy

It was told to me that the partitioned area was more about a military impasse, in that the Brits didn't know how to work the mountaneous region and knew they couldn't win a battle over it. Any truth to that?

Craig, and the rest of his boys wanted NI to be big as possible (economic reasons etc.). They had to balance that vs maintaining a Unionist majority. Geographically, Donegal and Cavan were the two easiest nationalist counties to detach from NI.

They are included because Ulster was partioned to ensure an inherent built in Unionist majority. There was meant to be a Border Commission which would look at the current border but it never materialised. It is called democracy in action

6 counties = largest area with a built in Unionist majority
    7+ counties = Nationalist majority

It did materialise. It just gave the "wrong" answer, so everyone decided to pretend it didn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,201 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

It did materialise. It just gave the "wrong" answer, so everyone decided to pretend it didn't exist.

What was the question and what was the answer?

The Commission

i) Gave far less land to the South than was expected
    ii) Suggested to South hand over some land to the North.

Cosgrave buried the commission's report to avoid the ****storm that would have came with it. Craig was pretty apathetic the whole commission thing anyway so he wasn't really too bothered.

iirc

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

What is that supposed to mean?
    It's pretty obvious, if you're prepared to think about it.

The six counties of Northern Ireland form part of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland. The fact that an individual county has a nationalist majority is no more relevant than the fact that an individual household has a nationalist majority. I don't hear anyone suggesting that we should be striving to annex all those homesteads with nationalist majorities, so why should a county be any different?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 99 ✭✭geraghd

Indeed. I mean counties are just lines on a map. And technically there aren't 26 counties in the republic of Ireland anymore, there is a full 29 and 5 cities!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 breandan

I thought only Antrim and Down now had prodestant majorities! Derry city which must surely contain at least half the population of the county is overwhelmingly Catholic and to be honest Iv never heard of a prodestant even setting foot in the southern half of Armagh:D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Fermanagh and Tyrone have a Nationalist majority and are in the north. Why???

Why?

WHY???

You're cearly a united-ireland supporter and here you are showing your ignorance about how Ireland came to be divided by asking for details of said event????

You could, of course, have other reasons for asking the question, but given that you didn't bother to offer your own opinion starting the thread, I've gone with the "I asked because I don't know, which is why I'm not offering a reason myself" option.

My recommendation would be to learn the history that you're so quick to knock the English for. Then you wouldn't have to ask these questions.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Sand wrote:
    Because theyre British, last I heard.

rofl ... oh mercy

Sand, don't normally agree with you on a lot of subjects, but you hit the nail on the head there :D

KieranusTyranus, do you have any concept of the social or economic reason why these 2 counties should or should not join the Republic, or even why they would want to?

Or is it just the usual "Everything will just be better" argument used by pro-United-Ireland supporters for the last 90 years or so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Only if they’ll take Donegal off us in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Only if they’ll take Donegal off us in return.

LOL .. but then where would all the Dubliners live in the summer :D

Wicknight wrote:
    LOL .. but then where would all the Dubliners live in the summer :D
    Somewhere in Greece, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Wicknight wrote:
    rofl ... oh mercy

Sand, don't normally agree with you on a lot of subjects, but you hit the nail on the head there :D

I thought the question was to as to why originally as opposed to now. I doubt any county can just up and move to another country.

Seriously however, had you bothered to ask them if they wanted to to join us or did you do another survey of the lads in your local pub for this one?

After all, there's quite a few nationalists up North who may not want to be part of the UK, but prefer that to paying Irish taxes.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement