Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No London date for McBride

Options
  • 08-11-2005 8:31pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,252 Mod ✭✭✭✭

http://www.breakingnews.ie/2005/11/08/story229299.html

08/11/2005 - 15:49:04

Kevin McBride’s camp insist he will not be fighting Matt Skelton on December 10 at London’s ExCel Arena.

McBride was due to fight British and Commonwealth heavyweight champion Skelton on the supporting bill to Audley Harrison’s clash with Danny Williams.

But McBride’s adviser Pascal Collins revealed: “Kevin is not fighting Skelton.

“We couldn’t agree terms and Kevin will look to have a fight in Boston before Christmas and then he will be hoping to get a world title fight.”

Promoter Frank Warren is now set to match Skelton, who also holds the WBU title, in a British heavyweight title defence.

Warren dismissed the suggestion that a deal was not agreed.

He said: “A deal was agreed and that’s why I sent them a contract but then I got a letter from McBride’s solicitor saying that he was still tied to the promoter of his fight with Tyson until December 11 so that was that.”

Collins is confident that McBride, who forced former champion Tyson to retire on his stool in June, can strike a deal with top promoter Don King.

He added: “Kevin is in great shape after four weeks sparring with Hasim Rahman, who was getting ready to fight Vitali Klitschko for the world title before Klitschko got injured.

“He should box in Boston and we should be doing a deal with King very soon because we know that he can get us a world title shot.

“John Ruiz defends his WBA heavyweight title against Nicolay Valuev in Germany before Christmas and Kevin would hopefully get a shot at the winner.”

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 368 ✭✭Geiger

I'd actually been looking forward to this one so it sucks that its been scrapped. McBride won't do much though, he's not worth a fraction of the hype some people generate.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

John Mcdermott is his replacement......................great :rolleyes: .

Skelton will TKO him within 4 rounds .

Hopefully they show the Williams/Harrison fight first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

Big Ears wrote:
    John Mcdermott is his replacement......................great :rolleyes: .

Skelton will TKO him within 4 rounds .

He would have Ko'd McBride even quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,977 ✭✭✭Big Ears

akindoc wrote:
    He would have Ko'd McBride even quicker.

I'm not sure about that I could see Skelton beating on McBride for a good 6 or 7 rounds before stopping him .

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭akindoc

Big Ears wrote:
    I'm not sure about that I could see Skelton beating on McBride for a good 6 or 7 rounds before stopping him .

Regardless, the fact is that "Big bad" john Mcdermott isn't a bad replacement for Kevin McBride

akindoc wrote:
    Regardless, the fact is that "Big bad" john Mcdermott isn't a bad replacement for Kevin McBride

Er, wouldn't have called it a fact but I guess everyone has their own taste.

McDermott was really terrible, surely they could have found someone who genuinely belonged in the ring tonight. Maybe Michael Pass would have put up more resistance?

Advertisement