Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

In a crash- settling without getting insurance company involved(or not?)

Options
  • 08-11-2005 8:50pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

I was in a crash early this morning which was entirely my fault. I crashed into the back of a nigerian mans car at traffic lights, anyway there was no damage done to my car and just some scratches to his. We decided not to call the gardai and I gave him my insurance details/name/address/car reg, he gave me his name/address/car reg. I decided then I didn't want to lose my no claims bonus so I asked him could we settle this without getting my insurance involved, he agreed and went off and got a quote.

Anyway he rang me this evening and €1400 was his first quote, then he said another garage quoted him €480 (hmmmm).. anyway I was going to give him the money but then on the phone he asked for a document from me admitting liability to the accident, I refused and asked him what he needed that for if we weren't getting the insurance company involved, and he said 'oh its for my own records'.

I'm just wondering what he's up to - Is he trying to get money off me AND money off the insurance company? I'm afraid to give him any money now out of my own pocket because he has my insurance details :( Any advice REALLY appreciated, thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,060 ✭✭✭Rudolph Claus

Why did you give him all your info, if it was such a minor incident.

You should have told him your not exchanging any info as it was such a minor incident. (This was minor, yeah? just scratches?) If he wasnt happy with you driving off without exchanging any info you should just have let him call the guards.Sure hes nigerian, of course hes out to scam you. Tell him your not giving him anything. Definitely dont sign anything for him. And how can a few scratches cost E1400. (You definitely didnt knock his bumper off?)

Im sure other boardies will offer better advice soon. Are you female by the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 207 ✭✭ibanez

Give him the €480 and tell him to **** off.If the Gaurds were not involved and the cars were moved from the scene i dont think it can be proved that you even had an accident.Like Nuttzy said it could not cost that much to repair his car €480 sounds much more realistic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

Yeah I would be very careful especially when dealing with a Nigerian . Seems abit steep for a minor bump (how minor was it) Ask him for the name of the garage or better still ask him to get a quote faxed to you directly from the garage to you , however its worth nothing that I got hit at traffic lights a month back at minor speed from the back but it did 1100 euro worth of damage , had to get a whole new bumper plus back wing re-spray.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 583 ✭✭✭^CwAzY^

I don't want to give him the €480 now because I think he's trying to claim off my insurance aswell.. He has my details and all :( I know I made a mistake but it's too late now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

Yeah sound like he is trying to claim of you twice , dont give him a letter anyway but give him a ring to see what you can sort out , does he have like your policy number etc...

• Advertisement

Thanks for the replies people..
    Yeah he has all my insurance details, I've decided I'd rather let him claim it off my insurance than give him cash, then he definitely can't scam me..

The only thing I'm afraid of is if he will damage his car more to get more money off my insurance.. I took pictures of the damage done to his car with my digital camera and he knows this.. so I am just gonna ring my insurance company tomorrow and ask them for more advice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭FX Meister

Can you post the pics here? Have you offered to get the car fixed yourself. Sunds racist but I wouldn't trust him at all. Did he have insurance? Find this out if you can, get the policy number off his disc and confirm it's real. If he has no insurance you can just laugh in his face. I'd be wary of him claiming off your insurance as they will easily approve his claim and you will pay for it in the long run anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

If you settle up outside insurance , make sure you get him to sign a letter that the payment is a full and final settlement. If you don't, he can go at you again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

No more Nigerian=scam crap, or I'll start suggesting all Micks are drunk and thick racists! Okay?

Mike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

BrianD wrote:
    If you settle up outside insurance , make sure you get him to sign a letter that the payment is a full and final settlement. If you don't, he can go at you again.
    Yep. Don't even consider giving him any money until he's signed such a piece of paper.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Can we guess what he was driving?

My guess: '91 Nissan Sunny

On a serious note - your NCB will be protected if your policy is worth its salt, so I wouldn't worry about a claim for under €1000 off it. Most will be protected for €3k to €4k these days. Talk to your ins. co.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭jim_bob

ring your insurance company and explain to them what happen and tell them you want to settle it without claiming off your insurance
    happen to my gf before and they sent her out a form so both parties could sign it and the other partie then could not claim off the insurance as they knew she had allready settled up with the other person

• Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

^CwAzY^ wrote:
    garage quoted him €480 (hmmmm).. anyway I was going to give him the money but then on the phone he asked for a document from me admitting liability to the accident, I refused and asked him what he needed that for if we weren't getting the insurance company involved, and he said 'oh its for my own records'

Yeah, for his own records, right :rolleyes:
    ^CwAzY^ wrote:
    The only thing I'm afraid of is if he will damage his car more to get more money off my insurance.. I took pictures of the damage done to his car with my digital camera and he knows this.. so I am just gonna ring my insurance company tomorrow and ask them for more advice!

Good thing you took pictures. Ring your insurance company and frankly explain everything unless the guy signs a statement as Brian and Seamus suggested

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Find out if he has any insurance. If he is not insured, it will be very interesting if he tries to claim off you. He would get SFA.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

Give him the €480, bring a witness with you when you hand it over. Actually give him a bank draft, then you have proof you paid him. Get him to sign something to say that the 480 is for the damage caused in the accident and he will not be claiming off your insurance for it.

In any case I reckon if he tries to claim off your policy you can just deny any knowledge of the accident (assuming he has no witness).

Nuttzy wrote:
    Why did you give him all your info, if it was such a minor incident.

You have to give your details when an accident happens, it's the law.
    Nuttzy wrote:
    Sure hes nigerian, of course hes out to scam you.
    And CwAzY is Irish, he must have been drink driving.

PauloMN wrote:
    On a serious note - your NCB will be protected if your policy is worth its salt, so I wouldn't worry about a claim for under €1000 off it. Most will be protected for €3k to €4k these days. Talk to your ins. co.
    I still wouldn't claim unless it is absolutely necessary. True, your policy is protected but if you decide to move company they will put down that you had a claim and you lose your NCB. So by claiming you are really commiting to staying with the same company for another 3 years or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Why not go to the Garda and explain the situation...just because the Garda are involved in an accident doesnt mean automatically you have to claim using insurance...the Garda dont mind as long as nothing iligal is going on...explaini to them and get them to call over to him....that will soon sort out any probs!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭maidhc

Asking the guards seems like a good idea. It is really difficult to know what to o if you suspect the other party is being dishonest.

I know a few people who have had to deal with these types (and they werent exactly Nigerian), and found the easiest thing to do was to let it go to the insc. co.

Either way, those photographs you took are valuable. Get them printed in a lab and bring them everywhere you go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

First step, go to your nearest station, and report the accident. I'm guessing that he didn't give you his insurance details? Mention this to the garda, say you suspect that the guy is trying to commit fraud (use those words), ask the "victim" to call into the station with his details, for your records.

Now, contact your insurance company, explain it to them.

Now, get your self a solicitor, tell yer man that all must go through the solicitor or insurance company. I'll bet you'll see things change

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

I wouldnt think you will need to go near insurance company...if he does try to claim against you they will certainly contact you....make sure to get the Garda onto it....they will call around for a word....could be an illegal so that will solve all your problems:D(please note this is a joke) ....anyway if Garda call over make sure you tell them that youa re willing to pay the 400 euro and give them a cheque to hadn over to him....everything will be sorted then.....the Garda willc all over...tell him to accept money and just make sure to cross cheque!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Big Nelly wrote:
    I wouldnt think you will need to go near insurance company...if he does try to claim against you they will certainly contact you....make sure to get the Garda onto it....they will call around for a word....could be an illegal so that will solve all your problems:D(please note this is a joke) ....anyway if Garda call over make sure you tell them that youa re willing to pay the 400 euro and give them a cheque to hadn over to him....everything will be sorted then.....the Garda willc all over...tell him to accept money and just make sure to cross cheque!!
    Wrong, you should always contact your insurance company, it's part of the procedure. They can help sort it out for you.

You need to report it to the cops, for the paperwork if nothing else, and to your insurance company so they can help and advice you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Arrange to meet him and give him the €480.

Hav two identical documents ready. Eash should read as follows:

RE: Accident involving Cwazy (car details) and MR.Bloggs (car details) on X date at X place.

I Cwazy acknowledge the above accident occured at said date and place between myself and MR.Bloggs. I accept that the damage to my vehicle was neglibable. This incident has been fully and satisfactoraly resovled and no further action shall be taken against Mr.Bloggs.
    Signed:______________ Date: ____________

I Mr.Bloggs acknowledge the above accident occured at said date and place between myself and Cwazy. I accept that the damage to my vehicle has been paid for in full by cash. This incident has been fully and satisfactoraly resovled and no further action shall be taken against Cwazy.
    Signed:______________ Date: ____________

You both sign both copies of the document, and you each keep one. Also, you will notice that nowhere in the document do you admit liability.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭The General

Just rob his car then he can't prove anything!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,908 ✭✭✭LostinBlanch

Big Nelly wrote:
    I wouldnt think you will need to go near insurance company...if he does try to claim against you they will certainly contact you

Not so Nelly. My oulfella had some woman run into his legally parked car. Apparently she was going to drive off but a passing guard made her leave her details under the wiper (.he also recorded the incident). So the oulfella rings up the woman and she's nice as pie and pays for all damage in full. No problem except for the fact that when he went to renew his insurance 8 months later they told him that he lost his ncb. She had claimed against him and been paid! :eek:

So he went back to the guard and got the insurance company to confirm his story. He got his ncb back but heard nothing about the woman and whether the insurance company or the guards were going after her for fraud.

Prospect, it's a good letter that you have done but I would also make sure that it covers any "medical" problems on Mr Bloggs behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭prospect

Prospect, it's a good letter that you have done but I would also make sure that it covers any "medical" problems on Mr Bloggs behalf.

Good call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭magpie

Next time he calls you tell him you'll see him in court if he likes.

If your insurance company calls you deny all knowledge and instruct them not to process the claim.

No guards were there, there were no witnesses - the whole thing will disappear in a week or two.

Pay him €480? are you nuts? I doubt his car was worth that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

MR. Bloggs?

Sounds like a fake name to me. Looks like he's scamming you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

quarryman wrote:
    MR. Bloggs?

Sounds like a fake name to me. Looks like he's scamming you.

THeres always one :D

Advertisement