Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Windows 98 HELP!!! how to write boot cd ?

• 08-11-2005 8:56pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭

Hello,

My windows 98 wont start up,cant find any of the cd's that came with the pc.
    I downloaded from the site thats stated on the "sticky" but is it just a straight forward copy on to a cd ????

PLEASE HELP................

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

paul moore wrote:
    I downloaded from the site thats stated on the "sticky" but is it just a straight forward copy on to a cd ????

Be more specific - which download?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

The .iso image must contain a certain bootable flag (I don't know how to do that though). Otherwise it won't boot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 919 ✭✭✭timeout

1. what make and madel pc do you have?
    2. What do you mean by won't start up? i.e. No lights/sound or just hangs at windows 98 splash screen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 566 ✭✭✭dalk

If what you are just looking for DOS boot disks try:

Boot disk ISO's

Or for some usefull free tools on a bootable CD:

Ultimate Boot CD

You will need CD burning software that is capable of burning ".iso" images onto CD. Just look in the help files of your burning software...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,154 ✭✭✭Oriel

Timeout, the make and model of the PC is completely irrelevant.
    Paul, can you be more specific about what goes wrong?

S.

• Advertisement

sinecurea wrote:
    Timeout, the make and model of the PC is completely irrelevant.
    Paul, can you be more specific about what goes wrong?

S.

It can be if it is a packard bell which has built in recovery that can resolve it by booting to it which might be what he's trying to do since he's looking for a boot disk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Paul - Read your PM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 221 ✭✭paul moore

sorry for the delay,
    Now its a MAXDATA i think there German..
    64mb ram
    pentium III
    feck all on it !!
    the big problem is i dont know if im in the bios set up or not because the pc wont start up the monitor for me,and i have tried a different monitor aswell ?
    its only tryin to boot from the cd aswell,but what is this screen thing ???

OK,
    1. Try unplugging the monitor cable from the back of the pc, does it say no signal on it? If yes then monitor is ok.
    2. Are there any beeps when you turn it on?One generally means everything ok, three means graphics is dead, no beeps means its possible cpu.
    3. Did you move the pc recently? Some pc's have two monitor connections, an integrated one,generally above where u plug in your speakers, and one on a seperate graphics card, generally below where u plug in your speakers. If so then the cable needs to be plugged into the one below the speaker connection as this is the primary one.
    4. Is the P3 a slot type CPU, i.e is the fan on top or on the side? If its an the side then its a slot which are a pain and can sometimes work their way loose causing these kinds of problems. You need to take it out, give a little blow into the open slot to clear any dirt and then resecure the CPU.

Try these out and let us know how you get on.

Timeout

Thanks time-out,
    yea the monitor is ok,i only get the one beep when i start it up,and thep3 slot is the one with the fan on the side !
    i have cleaned everythig .....video card etc.....
    i also only have one slot for the monitor,
    anyway still no differ!!!!

• Advertisement

It could actually be lighning damage to the modem, take it out,check for burn marks and try to power it on without the modem in.

If its still a no go then try unplugging everything, except cpu and graphics(if its not integrate). So unplug the HD, CD ROM, any pci cards such as modem,sound,firewire, network ect. from the mainboard not from the back of the HD ect.

Unplug most of the cable except the power cable and the connectors for the power switch and lights at the front of the pc(you'll see them running off to the front of the pc). Have a basic drawing so you know where it all goes also. The ram needs to come out also.

When you power it on you should get 3 beebs which is good cos this means it knows the ram is missing. Turn off and fit the ram, you should get just the one beep and you should get the post screen but it won't boot to windows as the HD is not connected. You can turn off, attach HD and floppy only and see does it boot to windows. Add 2/3 devices each time till you narrow down which one is causing the problem.

Timeout

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If there is nothing on the screen then it's not a windows problem.
    May move the thread to computers so more see it.

If you have two monitors then it's either a video card problem or the machine ain't POSTing. Try the steps in the previous post.

The sequence of beep codes depends on the software used in the BIOS. It should change when you remove either the RAM or the Video card.

got here going lads,
    the video card was fecked,just waiting on a boot disk now !!
    Thanks for your help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Did you replace the video card? Any problems doing it?

Advertisement