Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what makes an amg an amg

Options
  • 08-11-2005 9:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭

my dad got his new car today a mint '99 s500 merc
    a beauty of a car usual spec but nothing special its been badged an amg on the righthand side of the boot lid and it has amg style alloys but im not convinced its an amg. Any suggestions?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭themessiah

open the bonnet and check the engine , dont have an s500 , but my slk amg has a handbuilt engine with the signature of the guy who made it from amg on a metal sheet on the top of the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

themessiah wrote:
    but my slk amg has a handbuilt engine with the signature of the guy who made it from amg on a metal sheet on the top of the engine.
    very like aston martin then, very nice touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭Squirrel

The suspension might've been tweaked by AMG and then a badge stuck on the boot-lid. It was my understanding that the AMG variants had only 2 numbers after the model eg: S55, C32 etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,243 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Volvoboy wrote:
    a beauty of a car usual spec but nothing special its been badged an amg on the righthand side of the boot lid and it has amg style alloys but im not convinced its an amg. Any suggestions?

The real AMG S Class was called the S55 and it had the S55 badge on the boot I think. Also I think there were a few AMG ensignias placed around the interior including the steering wheel which would be different from the standard S-Class. And of course the AMG logo was placed on the nice cover of the engine block.

I also think but not 100% sure that the usual MB three pointed star sticking up on the front grill was replaced with a different one that was flat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,593 ✭✭✭johnnyrotten

A, M and G

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭t5pwr

Get into it and then put your foot down and you will know :D

Did your Dad buy it as an AMG?

• Registered Users Posts: 65,416 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Volvoboy wrote:

What did he pay for it? Private or dealer? Very interested as it is on my shortlist for the next car so I'm keeping an eye on depreciation curves. Out of interest, is everything working (electrics, mechanics, even silly things like broken vanity mirrors)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭528i

If its got 4 oval exhausts, 6piston AMG brake callipers and goes like stink, then its an AMG.

Otherwise its an overbadged S500 in a similar vein to these ///M powered 316i's only harder on juice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GenericName

bazz26 wrote:
    The real AMG S Class was called the S55 and it had the S55 badge on the boot I think.

I believe there was an S500 AMG upto 2001? But even so it was probably £40- £50,000 cheaper than the S55 AMG

• Advertisement

528i wrote:
    If its got 4 oval exhausts, 6piston AMG brake callipers and goes like stink, then its an AMG

You got one yet? :)

unkel wrote:
    What did he pay for it? Private or dealer? Very interested as it is on my shortlist for the next car so I'm keeping an eye on depreciation curves. Out of interest, is everything working (electrics, mechanics, even silly things like broken vanity mirrors)
    jesus i was just looking on carzone, looks like they are down to 30k, offering outstanding value but i think theres more to come:D i think aircon is the main thing to check, that its still blowing cold and doesnt need or hasnt had a recent recharge indicating a dash out replacement of the evap

http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=253366
    got to say thats amazing value if its a straight car.

lomb wrote:
    jesus i was just looking on carzone, looks like they are down to 30k, offering outstanding value but i think theres more to come:D

Three for sale in carzone for €30k. Silly price imho. It will be 7 years old in a few months time. I would expect a perfect condition one to go for about €20k now, going down to about €14k in just over a year. After that depreciation will be slow at not much more than €2k per year

That coupe looks nice. Very rare and not at all as bulky as the sedan :)

unkel wrote:
    Three for sale in carzone for €30k. Silly price imho. It will be 7 years old in a few months time. I would expect a perfect condition one to go for about €20k now, going down to about €14k in just over a year. After that depreciation will be slow at not much more than €2k per year

That coupe looks nice. Very rare and not at all as bulky as the sedan :)

ur a hard bargainer, but i think u are right, wait a year and ul pick one up for under 20, with the new models coming on stream soon, the old one will take a dive, theres not alot of demand in this country for 5 liter v8 luxury cars at the 7 year end. great really, because u will be driving a 130+ grand car for buttons which has 3 reliable years left in it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 484 ✭✭ssh

They started out as a post-sales mod company for merc like Brabus are now - they made better alloys and dropped in bigger engines as well. Merc started using them as a supplier and then bought them out completely.

AMG never designate their engines using 3 numbers, only two (32, 55, 65) so the car is not an AMG in the typical, recent sense of the acronym, even if it did come out of the showroom with the badge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

he sold his old one for 8,500
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=311695
    he's not giving alot away about the price i'd make a guess around 28k mark if this one is anything to go by-
    http://www.carzone.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carid=287378
    p.s. his insurance went up €23!!

unkel- everything works and theres not a blemish on it, it's as straight as a arrow and as powerful as the bow that fired it.

The new one is looking fantastic, did you take it for a spin yet? :cool:
    Volvoboy wrote:

I came across that one the other day while surfing. Looks in great nick. Someone bought a very nice car for peanuts there :)

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

unkel wrote:
    The new one is looking fantastic, did you take it for a spin yet? :cool:
    I trust you disapprove of those alloys Unkle?
    Far too much blinging air! :p

Great looking car alright.
    Mercedes certainly know how to make a big car look good (cf. current CL).

bmoferrall wrote:
    I trust you disapprove of those alloys Unkle?

They wouldn't be my idea of improving the looks of the standard S500, but they're not as bad as the exhausts imho :rolleyes:

Don't get me wrong here but, the car still looks fab :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

You can get the AMG styling package for any of the Mercs, and it gives you AMG bumpers, skirts and rear lip spoiler together with larger wheels etc.

However as stated there are only the following current factory AMG cars which offer increased performance C55,CLK55,E55,CLS55,ML55,SL55,S55,CL55..........blah blah, they all use the V8 engine and in the E,CSL,SL,CL and S they are Supercharged. They are normally aspirated on all others.

Then there are the S,CL,and SL65 V12 BiTurbo cars.

The Kompressor AMG V8's are being replaced by the new range of normally aspirated 63AMG cars later this year and in 2006 !

I wont bother describing the various older models, the above is the current range !

right, the old man broke his vow of silence about the price this lunch hour he got it for €22,500, i dont mean to get too northside about it but fair f**ks to him.

Volvoboy wrote:
    right, the old man broke his vow of silence about the price this lunch hour he got it for €22,500, i dont mean to get too northside about it but fair f**ks to him.

Well done to him, is it just a body kit, or is it slightly tweaked at all?

its definately lower to the ground than the average S the alloys and the badage are the only things that would make it amg-ish.

ill try and get some pics up of it soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 498 ✭✭bmoferrall

Volvoboy wrote:
    How did he get 7.5K off the asking price (made an offer that couldn't be refused) :confused:

(made an offer that couldn't be refused)
    i'd well belive it, my da is rahenys answer to Tony Soprano.

Volvoboy wrote:

GREAT BUY, can say no more, it probably has the 7 grand nappa leather option and sat nav also?

/Me goes out and looks for S Class

sat nav also?

thats the one thing it dosent have, but being a merc every things an extra.

• Advertisement

Volvoboy wrote:
    thats the one thing it dosent have, but being a merc every things an extra.

still a great buy, just shows u what a financial sieve they are brand new. if that was a porsche 911 he wouldnt have got it for less than 65 grand and on top of that the options wouldnt cost nearly so much as on the merc and listed around the same as a base s500.

Advertisement