Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shelbourne vs Cork City..Tolka Park 8.00. Live on Setanta 7.30

• 08-11-2005 10:15pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭

Huge quality on show from both teams on friday night.

No excuse for anything less than Shels biggest gate of the season. Every game this season have been tight affairs and I can see friday being the same.

On form Shels look to have a great chance. Wes Hoolahan, Jason Byrne and especially Gary O'Neill are playing great stuff. Finally Fenlon has got a settled team. But, its too late now.

As for Cork City, they are unbeatan in the Pale on 7 occasions this season. George O'Callaghan is back to his best and with Colin O'Brien and Joe Gamble as support I thing City will win the midfield battle. However I think Shels have the edge up front.

Prediction : Shels 2 - 2 Cork City

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

I can see this one being a draw myself as well but im just hoping for an entertaining game or football. If Shels still had something to play for it would make the game even more exciting but as it stands I still think we are in for a great game on Friday. Shels really are in absolutely cracking form and Cork are going to find it very hard to get a win out of this.

1-1

Is John O' Flynn back for this game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

Don't think O'Flynn is.

Gonna be a cracker!! I can't wait!! Hate to be Seansouth! ;):)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,056 ✭✭✭applehunter

Apparently Kevin Doyle is doing the analysis for Setanta.

Massive City support going up.

Hopefully is will be the dress rehersal for the following Friday.

"Where we sported and played ....:v: "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

No excuse for anything less than Shels biggest gate of the season.

I hope you don't include Europe in that!

Don't worry about our support, we'll be there for the last home game of the season. It's going to be a great occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

I can honestly see Shels thumping Cork, we all know its going to happen even Smug boy Soap there ;0

kdjac

• Advertisement

KdjaC wrote:
    I can honestly see Shels thumping Cork, we all know its going to happen even Smug boy Soap there ;0

I'm not saying anything... ;)

We've done really really well recently but when it came to the crunch (vs Derry) we bottled it. I don't know what to expect but honestly there is no pressure on us. Second place is pretty much gone now so its all about playing for the jersey and the lads have shown (with 10 wins in 11 now) that they can do that. Of course if we do get the three points, Pats will have to do a job on Derry...

Shels (guessed) team:

Delaney

---Heary---Rogers----Hawkins----Cahill

---Ndo---2 of Fleming/Crawford/Byrne--Wes--

Byrne---O'Neill

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Of course if we do get the three points, Pats will have to do a job on Derry...

Friday night holds no pressure whatsoever for CCFC. Even if Shels win well, and Derry win well on saturday, if CCFC win next Friday night its all over.

I honestly dont know what to think will happen. On the one hand, our form in Dublin this season has been amazing - 7 played, 7 won. On the other hand, something has to give. If the pitch is in good nick, and Shels come out to play, which I have no doubt but they will, it could work in CCFCs favour. Plus, it could be argued that Citys good win over Rovers on Monday was a turning point of sorts - playing poor lately, but now creating chances again. The CCFC players have nothing to fear, they have won already at Tolka this season, and were robbed another time.

I dunno, I really dont. Should be a cracker. I just hope we win this game, and SPA do a job on Saturday. then next friday will be a celebration. If not,. it'll be the longest 90 minutes of my life.

gimmick wrote:
    ...and were robbed another time.

"City! It wasn't over the line!"

It's going to be a cracking atmosphere regardless, I'm sure the "You're not champions anymore" chant will be heard more than once...

Im looking forward to the next batch of El games, sadly for Derry, Cork being on the TV a lot has swung them a lot more of the "from what i have seen Cork should win it" neutral vote. But Derry have only been on tv 4 or 5 times at most so most neutrals wouldnt be able to name 3 players from the team.

For the pizzazzzz of the league Cork should win as they possibly gained more neutral fans than any other team have done in the past. But having seen both play i really want a team with that "ah fcuk defending , lets score more than them" attitude win something as they never do ever in any football league always bloody 2nd. And having had 1st hand fun at last day league title deciders it fairly obvious both of you will lose this weekend, gives the new found ulcers something to chew on till friday next.

No better feeling than going from 82nd minute "ah **** we lost the league" to 93rd minute "CHAMPIONE!!!!!!"
    /Eh Slash eh joe Eh Einz Eh seanie Eh Eh Eh????
    kdjac

I love the "no pressure, sure all we have to do is beat Derry" comments; the pressure is on both Derry and Cork as much as the other. Beating Derry is not a guarantee! ;) It'll be a fantastic occassion, hopefully it will come accross well on the tv.

Unfortunately, the Cork fans will be in the Riverside, meaning they will be all you can hear on the telly. :( About 15 Finn Harps fans sounded louder in there earlier this season, I still don't get why we refuse to use it for the home crowds! :eek:

• Advertisement

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    About 15 Finn Harps fans sounded louder in there earlier this season, I still don't get why we refuse to use it for the home crowds! :eek:

But those guys just didn't stop singing! All 15 of them! Literally one continuous song for the entire second half.
    KdjaC wrote:
    No better feeling than going from 82nd minute "ah **** we lost the league" to 93rd minute "CHAMPIONE!!!!!!"
    /Eh Slash eh joe Eh Einz Eh seanie Eh Eh Eh????

All together now...

"We won the league... In Inchicore... We won the league in Inchicore..."

MrJoeSoap wrote:

All together now...

"We won the league... In Inchicore... We won the league in Inchicore..."

So did we, whats your point?

kdjac

KdjaC wrote:
    So did we

Touche... :D

I love the "no pressure, sure all we have to do is beat Derry" comments; the pressure is on both Derry and Cork as much as the other.

Yes, but IF City do Shels on Friday, Derry, will HAVE to win their last 2 games to win the league. Thats pressure.

And I know its no foregone conclusion CCFC will beat DCFC, far bloody from it. My god, Ive been nervous all this week. Cant imagine what Ill be like next!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

i think cork will be more geeed up for it lets be honest they've more to play for. i bet all the cork fans are srying into their hats seeing i've tipped cork, seems every time i say "rover want/need it" they loose.

i don't want to see the league go north so come on you rebels (like)

this has all the ingredents to be the worst game of the season, o much depends on it, we've hyped it up and i see both teams being cagey. i hope there is an early goal means one team need to chase it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

If Cork win, Derry will know the result by their game against Pats. Nevermind the Cork game, as Gimmick says, that is pressure. In some ways, if Cork beat Shels, the match against Pats will be a tougher one than the one against Cork as the pressure, expectation and nerves will be incredible.

Ryan out is a big loss for Shels, as it looks like it'll mean not only loseing him, one of our form players in our revival, but probably moving Joey Ndo, imo the best player in the league, out of position. Though it could work out for us, with Byrne and Crawford Cork will have to do an awful lot in mid field to get through us.

The importance of this match to Shels wont be known until the cup final is decided but it's potentially a very big game, and putting a dent in Corks title challenge will be pretty sweet to those in the Cross when they beat us 1-0 and celebrated like they had the thing wrapped up :)

Whats the rumour about Ndo leaving Shels and coming "home" any turth in them?
    How much he on over there?

kdjac

I've no idea how much he's on, but there's been rumours of Ndo leaving from the moment he signed really, due to him being a foreign full international. I doubt Shels will hold on to him forever but hopefully we get at least another season out of him.

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I really, really need to get Setanta Sports. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

well

I dont know why but i'm nervous.

I'd love us to win tonight but to be honest i'll take the draw.

Derry will beat pats tomorrow night (sorry kdjac) no matter what our score tonight, so i'm not worried bout that game...

who knows, this time in 180 hours we coud be champions.. Derry could be champions.. and administrative error could see derry and cork docked points and shels crowned champions... who knows..

but i;'m sure ye'll all agree, it's been the best season in years...

• Advertisement

Slash/ED wrote:
    If Cork win, Derry will know the result by their game against Pats. Nevermind the Cork game, as Gimmick says, that is pressure. In some ways, if Cork beat Shels, the match against Pats will be a tougher one than the one against Cork as the pressure, expectation and nerves will be incredible.

Ryan out is a big loss for Shels, as it looks like it'll mean not only loseing him, one of our form players in our revival, but probably moving Joey Ndo, imo the best player in the league, out of position. Though it could work out for us, with Byrne and Crawford Cork will have to do an awful lot in mid field to get through us.

The importance of this match to Shels wont be known until the cup final is decided but it's potentially a very big game, and putting a dent in Corks title challenge will be pretty sweet to those in the Cross when they beat us 1-0 and celebrated like they had the thing wrapped up :)
    IIRC, Joey played on the right wing for cameroon.

By God I'm dying for this match!! :) I hope its dry and the Cork fans go in the Ballybough end, giving them the Riverside is suicide in terms of support.

IIRC, Joey played on the right wing for cameroon.

By God I'm dying for this match!! :) I hope its dry and the Cork fans go in the Ballybough end, giving them the Riverside is suicide in terms of support.

I can't bloody wait! Atmosphere will be electric!

Nutsy:
    Shels boss aiming spanner at Cork works

November 11, 2005

Shelbourne manager Pat Fenlon hopes his side can continue their good recent form to scupper the title hopes of eircom League leaders Cork City at Tolka Park tonight (Friday).

Fenlon’s side have won their last five games without conceding a single goal, and striker Jason Byrne was named Player of the Month for October on Thursday.

The Reds, whose hopes of lifting a third straight crown were finally ended last weekend, have come unstuck against top two Cork and Derry City every time they’ve met this season – and Fenlon hopes his side can address that situation this evening.

He said: “We have not beaten Derry or Cork in the league this season. This is our last chance so we’re looking forward to it.

“I watched Cork against Rovers last Monday and have had them watched in their other recent games. They’re obviously a very good side - but so are we.

“The pressure is all on them, we know from experience that sometimes you get a little wobbly when the finishing line is in sight and you’re trying to get over it. We certainly won’t make it any easier for them.”

Rico:
    Richardson expecting no favours

November 11, 2005

Cork City boss Damien Richardson is expecting no favours from staunch rivals Shelbourne in Friday night’s big televised Premier Division clash at Tolka Park.

The Leesiders have won three of the four meetings between the sides this season, and another victory could be enough to secure the title this weekend if Derry lose at home to St Patrick’s Athletic on Saturday.

Indeed, the only goal Shels have managed against Cork in 2005 was a controversial effort from Jamie Harris in the Setanta Cup back in April, when there was more than reasonable doubt that the ball had crossed the line.

But previous meetings could have no bearing on this game, and Richardson is expecting a tough test.

He said: “Shels will feel that they owe us one as we’ve kind of had the Indian sign over them this season.

“Maybe the fact that they’ve put so much into the last few weeks and just fallen short might have taken the steam out of them.

“But we won’t be expecting any favours from them though, that’s for sure.

Can anyone tell me what an "Indian sign" is???

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I can't bloody wait! Atmosphere will be electric!
    I wouldn't be so optimistic if Cork go in the Riverside, its hard not to outsing the home support when you have that over you!!

Can't wait to see Rico's expression as it starts to slip away tho! ;)

I wouldn't be so optimistic if Cork go in the Riverside, its hard not to outsing the home support when you have that over you!!

Can't wait to see Rico's expression as it starts to slip away tho! ;)

I can never hear the Riverside when I'm in the new stand, although on TV it is definitely going to sound worse (for Shels fans at least). So long as we are all there and singing loud and proud I'll be happy.

Weather here is decent enough but windy. All we need is two hours of dry and calm weather and the players will do the rest.

Anyone got the odds on this game?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

^^

well tonights game doesnt really matter, as i cant see derry slipping up tomorrow, i think we all know we have to beat derry next friday... so nothing will be slipping away tonight...

^

Tonights game could mean the difference between needing a win and a draw next Friday, which is a huge difference over 90 minutes against your closest rivals.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I can never hear the Riverside when I'm in the new stand, although on TV it is definitely going to sound worse (for Shels fans at least). So long as we are all there and singing loud and proud I'll be happy.

Weather here is decent enough but windy. All we need is two hours of dry and calm weather and the players will do the rest.

Anyone got the odds on this game?
    You would if the main singing core went over and got everyone going. You can't hear the New Stand in full voice when you're at the bottom of the steps up to it, like! ;)

Ah right, I stand at the back myself. Better view, for example, within seconds I could tell Jamie Harris' header was over the line. ;)

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Tonights game could mean the difference between needing a win and a draw next Friday, which is a huge difference over 90 minutes against your closest rivals.

I dont think so really. If City were to win tonight,and Derry tomorrow, it would be very silly of City to play for a draw last game - they need to play for the win next friday regardless of what happens this weekend IMO.

It's not a matter of playing for a draw really.

Picture the scene Gimmick, there's 30 seconds to go, Cork lead 1-0 and Derry have a free kick just outside the Cork penalty area. Now would you be thinking to yourself the results from today and tomorrow aren't that significent? :)

Incidentally, if Shels win tonight and Derry lose, so the top two both drop three points (Not beyond the realms of possibility) then Shels can still get the UEFA cup without relying on others. 3 points would seperate Shels and Derry in the last day of the season, us away to Bohs them away to Cork. The goal difference means if we finish level on points Shels would be gaurenteed a higher goal difference pushing Derry down to third, and Cork would be favourites to beat Derry at home and us to beat Bohs in Dalymount. It's far from impossible, though it's more likely we'll need the Derry win the league Cork win the cup combo to make it in.

Shels want to go out on a win against Cork – by Fintan Cassidy

They used to say that you had to win your Dublin Derbies to win the league and with the last eight league titles staying within the capital – 4 times at Tolka Park – that certainly held true. This season, not one but two, provincial sides have broken that stranglehold, as Cork City and Derry City battle it out for the league pennant. However, much of Shelbourne's failing to retain their title, has been down to their inability to beat either of the other two teams in the breakaway group of three at the top of the table.

That’s just one record that Pat Fenlon and his men intend to put to rights when they face Cork City for the final time this season in Tolka Park on Friday night at 8.00pm. While they did record one win over the Munstermen in the Setanta Cup, the league is where it’s at and the Reds are determined to go out on a high.

Said Fenlon: “We were worthy winners of the league for the past two seasons and whoever wins it this year will also be very deserving winners. We won’t be making any excuses. Fair play to the new champions, but I think we’ve shown in the last third of the season what we’re capable of and how determined we are to get back on top. It would be nice to show now that we are capable of getting a league win against Cork this year.”

”I watched them against Rovers last Monday and have had them watched in their other recent games. They’re obviously a very good side - but so are we. The pressure is all on them, we know from experience that sometimes you get a little wobbly when the finishing line is in sight and you’re trying to get over it. We certainly won’t make it any easier for them,” he warned.

In team news, with the exception of long term injuries Steve Williams, Jamie Harris, Alan Reynolds and Bobby Ryan, Fenlon has a full squad to choose from. Richie Baker has another week’s training under his belt but is unlikely to be considered for a starting- eleven spot. Curtis Fleming is likely to be under pressure in midfield from fit-again Jim Crawford and Stewie Byrne in what may be the only change from the team that lined out against Drogheda last week.

ShelsWeb guesstimated team: Delaney; Heary, Hawkins, Rogers, Cahill; Moore, Ndo, Crawford, Hoolahan, J Byrne, O’Neill.

In other news the Shels manager has confirmed that Glen Fitzpatrick will not be offered a new contract and will be leaving Tolka Park. He also confirmed that out-on-loan players Alan Cawley and Kevin Doherty would not be returning. Dave Tyrell currently on loan to Bray Wanderers, will, along with James Chambers, be offered a full-time professional contract. While his wage bill for next season will be reduced, Fenlon is still however, in the market for a utility player.

Hope Glen Fitz gets a massive reception tonight, it hasn't really happened for him this season but he's a legend and will never be forgotten (nor will his two goals vs Lille). Wishing him all the best in the future, just hope he doesn't come back to bite us in the ass. Think he is off to Drogheda...

Latest is he's off, but not to Drogs... :eek:

He is a legend, I hope we all get one last chance to show our appreciation to him. Super, Super Glen!

Apparently David Tyrell has been playing very well for Bray recently, good to see he will be offered a full-time contract with Chambers.

A teary-eyed farewell for Glen Fitz tonight Einsturzende? ;)

I've not seen alot of Tyrell but he's impressed me when I've seen him. Chambers especially has all the ability to be a regular for us very soon. A very promising set of youngsters.

• Advertisement

Slash/ED wrote:
    Picture the scene Gimmick, there's 30 seconds to go, Cork lead 1-0 and Derry have a free kick just outside the Cork penalty area. Now would you be thinking to yourself the results from today and tomorrow aren't that significent?

Cmere, tonight and tomorrows results will make no difference, as if the title goes to the last game of the season i will be a gibbering wreck one way or other. Even if we are 3-0 with 5 mins to go I wont be celebrating. I only get confident of winning when I see the refs whistle going to his lips at the end of injury time!!!

gimmick wrote:
    Cmere, tonight and tomorrows results will make no difference

You sound like a nervous wreck already mate!

Put it this way, if Cork win tonight you will be in the driving seat and if you are 1-0 up with 5 minutes to go next week you will be (somewhat) safe in the knowledge that Derry would need to score twice to take it off you.

Would you rather go in to the game next week needing a win or needing a draw?

Although permutations and logic will probably be flying right over your head if it comes down to next Friday night. I guess you could call it passion...

Just took out the Shels-Lille DVD there to get myself fired up, I don't mean to keep going on about it but I only just noticed that Fitzpatrick actually won the free that he scored the second goal from. Every bit as good a night as the Split and La Coruna matches and he was almost solely responsible for it. I really hope he gets a huge reception tonight, he'll get one from me anyway.

He nearly got a hat trick too.

I didn't enjoy the night at all though, nowhere near Split or Depor for me. The most depressing Shels game I've ever been at for 70 odd minutes, Fitzpatrick saved it and made it a good memory but it's not on the level of Split.

It's definitely behind the other two that you mentioned but the celebrations when the second goal went in were nuts. To see your team come from two down in any game is great but in Europe against a big team like Lille is special. The one thing that really annoys me (at the time and now) is the attendance, it really showed how fickle some Irish "soccer fans" can be. A bit of rain and the 25,000 or so who showed up for the La Coruna match stayed at home to watch it on the telly...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

Oh there's gonna be fireworks at Tolka tonight! I'm predicting an exciting 2-2 all draw.

Have to laugh at the Village fans moaning on their website about them being moved to the Ballybough end becasue they are afraid to get wet. Awwh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

My guess is a 0-0 draw.

Its probably wet and windy and both sides will not want to concede so I think a 0-0 draw. Not very exciting.

Derry for the league. Luck is on their side and you can't beat luck. Derry to win league at Cork with a draw.

Shels for the Interfewbob Cup :p . What a shambles since Fenlon splashed the cash. Can't beleive Curtis Fleming is playing for them. Maybe they will give Carlton Palmer and George Best trials for next season:D

Take it you haven't seen Curtis much then no?

Fitter than half the Harps squad tbh.

MrJoeSoap wrote:

Would you rather go in to the game next week needing a win or needing a draw?

A draw obviously. But at least with the team needing a win, there is no comfort zone, it is cut and dried what they need to do. The problem with needing a draw is that the team may just start with 9 men 10 men behind the ball. I dont know. im talking gibberish at this point. God help me this time next week :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Take it you haven't seen Curtis much then no?

Fitter than half the Harps squad tbh.

Yes!

Yes!

:D

Nice to see nobody was following it here...

I thought it was a decent first half, but the second half was poor. Shels weren't really up to much and Ndo was ridiculously given the man-of-the-match award. I don't think there was a worse player on the pitch tonight (other than the run he went on, should have scored). Hawkins was brilliant, Wes was quiet, O'Neill clearly dived looking for a penalty, Moore was completely out of his depth on the right, Scouse was good, Heary was average and Ollie did well.

One to forget I reckon.

On a brighter note, David Tyrell scored twice for Bray as they beat Bohs! Oh, and Rovers are in the playoffs. Fair play Waterford and the burgers are on Pat Dolan tonight!

Awful, awful game. Draw as good as a win for us though, as it means if Derry win tomorrow a draw will do them in the cross, so we couldn't have asked for better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I was following it but the signal I was watching it on was poor. sh1te game tbh as was expected. Hopefully derry win tomorrow night and keep it all knuckle grinding for the last day. Hope derry do grab the league but it will be mighty close. Pats I wouldnt write off.

Maybe because I was watching it as a supporter (and not some barstool idiot), I actually thought it was a great game, with some good football played by both teams. I think Shels were haunted, as they were clearly 2nd best for the entire 90 mins.

I dont care what the result in the brandywell is tomorrow night, if City play like they did tonight Derry will be swept aside next friday, and the league championship belongs to CCFC.

And further, Shels are talking that they had a slow start to the season, and next season they will be back.......bit of advice, watch tonights game again.....a team who are supposedly playing poorly and bottling it, against a team 'who are (supposedly) back to their best'. and say who the better team is!

Tonight proved that Shels are not the best team in the country.

Tonight proved that CCFC are a force to be reckoned with,

and

Tonight certainly proved that Shels' title (as they like to call it) isnt easily going back next season, no matter what Fenlon says.

He says the reason they didnt win the title again this season was complacency and time needed for his new squad to settle. Bullshít all the way from a man out of his depth.

Cork have been dropping points where they probably shouldn't have been (hence the "bottling" talk, although there hasn't really been much of that).

Shels have been banging in the goals and before tonight had won 11 in 12 (hence the supposedly "back to their best" talk, although I don't really buy into that. We still have a left winger at left back etc...).

Cork tonight, and all season, have been a better side than us. I'm not going to jump into the deep end and make a stupid prediction for next season just yet, as a lot will depend on what happens over the winter with transfers etc...

But I wouldn't be so quick to write Shelbourne out.

• Advertisement
Advertisement