Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Shelbourne vs Cork City..Tolka Park 8.00. Live on Setanta 7.30

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Cork have been dropping points where they probably shouldn't have been

Cork Citys record in dublin

Played 8
    Won 7
    Drew 1
    Conceded 0

Now, the only away points dropped by City this season have been

- lost away to Dery 3-1
    - 2-2 twice with Waterford
    - 0-0 away to Longford

Now, by anyones standards, that is an amazing record.

I agree, some silly points were dropped at home to SPA, UCD, Longford and Drogs, so i assume what you meant was that Citys home form wasnt solid???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I meant in the last few games (against St. Pats and Waterford), since you mentioned "bottling". As I said, they have been the best side this season and deserve to win the league if they can beat Derry next week (or draw if that is sufficient).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Illkillya

gimmick wrote:
    A draw obviously. But at least with the team needing a win, there is no comfort zone, it is cut and dried what they need to do. The problem with needing a draw is that the team may just start with 9 men 10 men behind the ball. I dont know. im talking gibberish at this point. God help me this time next week :eek:
    I have faith in Rico here - he won't put the whole team behind the ball and play for 0-0... you saw our home game against Djurgardens for example where this approach could have been understandable but we still played for a win, as we did every game this season. Rico has the experience to suggest that hes not going to choke and do a U-turn on this attitude.

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I meant in the last few games (against St. Pats and Waterford), since you mentioned "bottling". As I said, they have been the best side this season and deserve to win the league if they can beat Derry next week (or draw if that is sufficient).

Every team will drop points - SPA was totally unexpected, thay have been an awful team all season, with little to no redeeming charatcteristics, we'll put their win over CCFC (like Derrys loss to Wafor) down to a complete fluke - Waterford was always going to be a tough game - Munster derby, Dolan +++, so a draw there was a decent result.

City have not bottled anything, only Shels people seem to they thats been the case.
    Illkillya wrote:
    I have faith in Rico here - he won't put the whole team behind the ball and play for 0-0... you saw our home game against Djurgardens for example where this approach could have been understandable but we still played for a win, as we did every game this season. Rico has the experience to suggest that hes not going to choke and do a U-turn on this attitude.

Good points...agree all the way.

gimmick wrote:
    City have not bottled anything, only Shels people seem to they thats been the case.

Are you reading what I'm writing? I'm agreeing with almost all the points that you are making!

^ I think I am, that said, I should probably go to bed now?

gimmick wrote:
    ^ I think I am, that said, I should probably go to bed now?

Me too! Try and get some sleep mate, its gonna be a nervous week for ya!

Ha, just remebered earlier, that when I was having trouble with exams, i took tranquilisers, and all of a sudden all was good.

Time to dig out that little box then. failing that, Im hoping a few teams of cardiologigists will be on hand in the Turners Cross area next week!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,426 ✭✭✭Roar

i remember jumping and screaming for a penalty at one stage, was it just general drunkeness or was there a spotter claim near the end? think it was roy o'donovan involved

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

gimmick wrote:
    Maybe because I was watching it as a supporter (and not some barstool idiot), I actually thought it was a great game, with some good football played by both teams. I think Shels were haunted, as they were clearly 2nd best for the entire 90 mins.

Ah yes the old barstool remark, I didnt think it was a great game so what get over it, you will have to save the barstool remark for someone else, I tend to spend most my weekends standing in various grounds watching longford play.

I wasnt having a go at you at all, sorry if you picked it up that way - there were a few people watching the game at the same place as me and they were moaning about the standard etc, and it was 'a hard game to watch'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭finnpark

finnpark wrote:
    My guess is a 0-0 draw.:D

Not a bad guess either;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

It was a poor game in the way Chelsea Man U was, in that it was scrappy without much chances because both teams were giving 100% for the whole match which is why. It was a good game for Shels or Cork fans for essentially the same reasons, but I can see why a neutrul wouldn't be too happy with it.

And I'll respectfully disagree with Gimmick that Shels were second best for any of that match. The best chances fell our way, two superb saves from Devine from Jason Byrne long rangers, Glen Crowe miscontrolling when he had a fairly easy chance from two yards out with his back to goal had he got it right and Jason Byrne hitting it over from close range. For Cork, there was O'Callghans drive and later his header and O'Donnavans effort which should have been better. They'd a good few set peices but the delivery was not telling for any of them. It was a fairly even game, which considering we were badly lacking width on the right with injuries forcing us to play Alan Moore there which cost us badly I felt, I was fairly happy with. The result is what we wanted too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭Jonny Arson

gimmick wrote:
    Maybe because I was watching it as a supporter (and not some barstool idiot), I actually thought it was a great game, with some good football played by both teams. I think Shels were haunted, as they were clearly 2nd best for the entire 90 mins.

I dont care what the result in the brandywell is tomorrow night, if City play like they did tonight Derry will be swept aside next friday, and the league championship belongs to CCFC.

And further, Shels are talking that they had a slow start to the season, and next season they will be back.......bit of advice, watch tonights game again.....a team who are supposedly playing poorly and bottling it, against a team 'who are (supposedly) back to their best'. and say who the better team is!

Tonight proved that Shels are not the best team in the country.

Tonight proved that CCFC are a force to be reckoned with,

and

Tonight certainly proved that Shels' title (as they like to call it) isnt easily going back next season, no matter what Fenlon says.

He says the reason they didnt win the title again this season was complacency and time needed for his new squad to settle. Bullshít all the way from a man out of his depth.

The post of dishonest and worried man.

Absolutely fair result last night. Neither side played to their full potential but it was very clear to me that Cork were nowhere near the same side that we played 4 times already this season. If Cork play like that against Derry you'll be very lucky to get a result or championship for that matter. Shels have a lot more to offer than last night and will be challenging for the title next season providing we keep up our recent form and get rid of some deadwood but there is absolutely no doubt in my mind we are on a par with Cork. As far as I'm concerned Shels have improved, Cork have got worse. I see a Cork side genuinely on the slip, the only way they can prove this otherwise is by winning this league.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

In all fairness, Gimmick is far from dishonest. Worried he certinaly is though. I disagree with him, but he's one of the most honest posters on here. With him being from Cork too it really stuck out in my mind as being a rareity :)

• Advertisement

Slash/ED wrote:
    In all fairness, Gimmick is far from dishonest. Worried he certinaly is though. I disagree with him, but he's one of the most honest posters on here. With him being from Cork too it really stuck out in my mind as being a rareity :)

Oh no not a personal attack on him but to say that Shels are nowhere near to the level of Cork and don't have a hope in hell of winning the league next season when we clearly are on par with them as far as I'm concerned is dishonest. There is little if any difference between the two sides (and Derry to that matter) which is only a good thing for our league since we don't and won't have a one sided title race this season and next season unlike a certain league across the water!

As far as I'm concerned Shels have improved, Cork have got worse. I see a Cork side genuinely on the slip

Keeping in mind this was Citys 4th away game on the trot in the space of 11 days, Id hardly call that a slip, or a team on the slip, though you are right, the only way to prove that is by winning the league next friday.
    And I'll respectfully disagree with Gimmick that Shels were second best for any of that match

Maybe why this is why football is such a great game, and whyt being a football fan is so great, we obviously looked at the same match last night, but saw a different game. I think City were totally on top for the last half an hour, and were fairly solid throughout the rest of the game.
    In all fairness, Gimmick is far from dishonest. Worried he certinaly is though. I disagree with him, but he's one of the most honest posters on here. With him being from Cork too it really stuck out in my mind as being a rareity

Thanks, I think ;)
    zane wrote:
    won't have a one sided title race this season and next season unlike a certain league across the water!

Just noticing actually that eL posts are beginning to get more and more frequent on this board as well! The other guys on this board think they know where its at, but obviously not!!!:)

gimmick wrote:
    Just noticing actually that eL posts are beginning to get more and more frequent on this board as well! The other guys on this board think they know where its at, but obviously not!!!:)

Here here! We don't want to start a war with the barstoolers..... we all know the barstoolers can't take a defeat by genuine knowledgealbe football fans! ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,953 ✭✭✭blu_sonic

blu_sonic wrote:
    i think cork will be more geeed up for it lets be honest they've more to play for. i bet all the cork fans are srying into their hats seeing i've tipped cork, seems every time i say "rover want/need it" they loose.

i don't want to see the league go north so come on you rebels (like)

this has all the ingredents to be the worst game of the season, o much depends on it, we've hyped it up and i see both teams being cagey. i hope there is an early goal means one team need to chase it

i knew it wouldn't be a classic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,147 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

gimmick wrote:
    I wasnt having a go at you at all, sorry if you picked it up that way - there were a few people watching the game at the same place as me and they were moaning about the standard etc, and it was 'a hard game to watch'.

No hassle :) I know where you are coming from though. They would gladly sit through a poor english match and not mutter a word.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

I had an eye on the game in the pub and didn't think it was that bad. At the time I was saying its a good advert for the league as there was some excellent footall being played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

It was a decent enough game for the sets of fans involved, it was quite fast paced and open in the first half. Both sides were more cagey in the second. City had more posession, no questions there, but Shels created the most/better chances. We lacked width with Moore on the right, he's not even our best left winger, nevermind right winger! But at least he's not Baker! :) Oh well, Derry's win today gives them the edge now I think.

Bit disappointed to see O'Neill diving in the first half, might I add.

And no final farewell to Glen Fitz :( If he doesn't get a run out in Dalymount I'll go head-hunting!

Oh, and: Can you feel it slip away? :)

Einst&#252 wrote: »
    Oh, and: Can you feel it slip away? :)

Chant of the night for sure!

Agree with you about Gary O'Neill, that was embarrasing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,483 ✭✭✭Töpher

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    Chant of the night for sure!

Agree with you about Gary O'Neill, that was embarrasing.
    T'was. For all the stick we give Georgie, it was a shame to see. But, at least he didn't feign injury in an attempt to get another professional sent off, but it still doesn't make it alright!

Advertisement