Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lots of Clearwire disconnects tonight?

• 08-11-2005 10:40pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone else getting lots of disconnects on clearwire tonight? I'm in Portobello, on the Harolds X base station.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭flynnduism

yup it's been very poor... i'm in smithfield, spent 40 mins trying to attach files to an email earlier :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

Had two disconnects around 7.30 but after 5 mins it was all good again for rest of evening..based in Bray.

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭stakey

My pings to servers around the net have been off the wall for a week.

Battlefield 2 cant hold a constant ping jumping from 85-125-35-250-450-85-950(yep, 950!)

Counter Strike Source last night I could ping servers from my desktop however I was unable to connect to them at all...

Quite strange considering i'm getting 1.24 down and 485 up on Irishisptest and have the full five bars on their modem.

Serious concern creeping in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

Hmmmm. I noticed my torrents were really slow the past week, think I will do some ping tests tonight.

Hope this isn't the start of another Ripwave situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sudurban_blues

Were your torrents going smoothly prior to that? My understanding was that they were shaping their traffic so as to control p2p activity. I tried downloading an unbuntu disk image over clearwire and notwithstanding there being 20 seeds the speed never went above 10-12Kb.

• Advertisement

As recently as last week I was getting 50-60Kbps on torrents!

Now i'm lucky if I get 4!

The highest I got was 4kb for Bit Torrent, there sales rep at the time of purchasing it assured me that no traffic would be curtailed. :rolleyes: I feel so used. :(

Well if it doesn't improve i'm going to cancel with them. Even viewing web pages has been noticably slower the past few days.

I'm going to see what it's like tonight... If I dont get an improvement I'm sending a good list of pings and traceroutes to sites like google and ebay to them first thing tomorrow morning with a request for both a resolution and a pretty good explanation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭sisyphus

Hmmmm. I noticed my torrents were really slow the past week, think I will do some ping tests tonight.
    Haven't had any problems with them myself. I'm on the Fitzwilliam Square mast, and it's smooth as always (Had one outage ever since I joined with them).

As for Torrents though, I've never gotten decent speeds with torrents. Maximum download of about 10 KB/ps, which might last for about 20 mins, then stop altogether for another 20 mins, and maybe (If I'm lucky) resume again. I bloody hate torrents! Can never get decent speeds on them!
    As for ftp servers however, I normally get excellent speeds downloading files off them 100 - 250 KB/ps, depending on where the server is located and the speed of the server of course.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Is everyone still getting a signal? I'm in Clontarf and I just plugged the modem in for the first time about 10 minutes ago and it's still "tracking" and not picking up any signal.

It went a bit weird on me about an hour ago. Couldn't access any websites (not even using the ip address of the site), but could still use msn and irc.

Seems ok now, touch wood.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 sudurban_blues

sisyphus wrote:
    As for Torrents though, I've never gotten decent speeds with torrents. Maximum download of about 10 KB/ps, which might last for about 20 mins, then stop altogether for another 20 mins, and maybe (If I'm lucky) resume again. I bloody hate torrents! Can never get decent speeds on them!
    As for ftp servers however, I normally get excellent speeds downloading files off them 100 - 250 KB/ps, depending on where the server is located and the speed of the server of course.

Don't hate torrents, hate ISPs who cripple them by curtailing their speed. I recall it being said here that other wireless ISPs were doing the same. Can any metro users inform us as to whether all is well in p2p-land with their provider? IBB users, of course, have more basic things to worry about. Actually I think that this traffic discrimination is really bull**** - they are already limiting users' uploads, plus capping their traffic as a means of price discriminating between packages. If you want to use your quota on the web, another person wanjts to ftp things all day, and I want to use p2p why should the ISPs have any discretion over that?

That said, clearwire's service seems pretty decent otherwise, their people are competent (or at least honest) and the funkiest thing is that the wi-max modems can be used anywhere (being cell-based) there is coverage and a power source - that's bling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Plankmonkey

I'm thinking of getting clearwire.....should I be? This post is putting me off! My main usage will be VoIP and torrents, any advice from clearwire users, particularly in Sandyford area?

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Woody_FX

I am still waiting to see a decent ping on Clearwire.

I play Counter Strike to an extremely highlevel. ED Premier. CSSSL all the big leagues but i now get ****y pings about 80+ which does effect your game.

One of my mates have Nildram as there ISP and his Ping is 6-7ms because thats the same ISP the server is on in London. Where is the 73ms extra i get coming from?

Have a very high spec pc that was getting pings of about 40 on Esat.

Anybody know how long the hop is between the modems to Clearwire masts?
    Is the high latency down to poor peering deals.

Please fix this up Clearwire, i know you guys read boards.And i want to stay with u guys rather than get a line with Smart.

Wireless broadband is never a good option if you are a gamer!

Clearwire actually normally has very good pings, but still not low enough for gaming, really. If you're a gamer, get DSL/cable.

eth0_ wrote:
    Wireless broadband is never a good option if you are a gamer!

Clearwire actually normally has very good pings, but still not low enough for gaming, really. If you're a gamer, get DSL/cable.

In my experience dsl is not good enough either. Sales guy tells me pings are normally 20-30, is this true?

Eh, within Ireland maybe, 20-30 to where?

If you give me some server hostnames i'll ping them for you and paste the results. Although my connection might not be 100% right at the moment (clearwire are running tests on the base station I use today).

Hmm. I had one disconnect last night. When I say disconnect, my Modem still has 4 bars on it, and I can still talk on msn/listen to streaming radio, just can't ping anything or access websites.

Also, torrents are still funny. I started downloading the latest south park episode last night, and it took hours for it to get to 12KB/s and this is with 300 seeders??

eth0_ wrote:
    Eh, within Ireland maybe, 20-30 to where?

If you give me some server hostnames i'll ping them for you and paste the results. Although my connection might not be 100% right at the moment (clearwire are running tests on the base station I use today).

He didn't say where but if he says our pings are 20-30 then I would expect it to be to anywhere, not just Ireland. Have you always had problems with your pings or is it just recent? Can you ask to try it out for a couple of weeks before signing a contract?

Just a question to everyone on the bittorrents issue, have you tested the port to make sure its open? Surely if they are blocking torrents the status will show as tracker down or that blue smiley you get in azureus? Is this happening or are you getting the green smiley and just slow speeds? If its the green smiley then it means your port forwarding is ok, anything else and there's something not getting through.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,335 ✭✭✭Cake Fiend

eth0_ wrote:
    Hmm. I had one disconnect last night. When I say disconnect, my Modem still has 4 bars on it, and I can still talk on msn/listen to streaming radio, just can't ping anything or access websites.

Can you ping IPs? E.g. if you know a few DNS IPs (or have any website IPs), try pinging them if this happens again. I've had a couple of very similar semi-disconnects (games and skype still work, browsing doesn't, pinging IPs works) that I had put down to an internal proxy, but if other users are having similar problems, I might be wrong.

Regarding bittorrent, I'm pretty sure the rep mentioned something about restricting p2p traffic to some extent - if the search function is back over the weekend, have a look; I seem to remember someone saying it on boards as well.

Sico wrote:
    Can you ping IPs? E.g. if you know a few DNS IPs (or have any website IPs), try pinging them if this happens again. I've had a couple of very similar semi-disconnects (games and skype still work, browsing doesn't, pinging IPs works) that I had put down to an internal proxy, but if other users are having similar problems, I might be wrong.

Regarding bittorrent, I'm pretty sure the rep mentioned something about restricting p2p traffic to some extent - if the search function is back over the weekend, have a look; I seem to remember someone saying it on boards as well.

That sucks I'll ask the rep and see what he says. Although I'm on 2mb UTV and I can never get any better than 60k (and thats very rare, usually 20k is highest) so maybe all ISP's do it.

Advertisement