Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Was there a fire in Rubys niteclub?

Options
  • 08-11-2005 11:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭

Heard some people talking about a fire in rubys on saturday night, sunday morning. Is this true does anyone know?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

I heard this also, I'm betting somebody just set a few papers on fire and rumors got out of hand so it turned into "the whole of rubys was on the fire"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,771 ✭✭✭✭JPA

Word on the street is that 3 17 year olds were refused entry and they then returned around half 5 just after the staff had gone home and got in the back somewhere.
    They had a can of diesel or something and set the place on fire.

No petrol?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Your not too far off with that rumour. CCTV footage show two youths in around the back in the early hours of Sunday morning.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

JPA wrote:
    Word on the street is that 3 17 year olds were refused entry and they then returned around half 5 just after the staff had gone home and got in the back somewhere.
    They had a can of diesel or something and set the place on fire.

No petrol?

Amatures, if your going to start a fire petrol is much better then diesel. :rolleyes:
    :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

angry_fox wrote:
    Heard some people talking about a fire in rubys on saturday night, sunday morning. Is this true does anyone know?

I, like many of you, have been in Rubys, and other venues like it, when it is packed to capacity. I have often spoken to others about what could happen if a fire broke out. While (from reading here) this appears to be an arson attack, isn't it time that all nightclubs were investigated?

While these idiot arsonists should be locked up, and the key thrown away, it raises a much broader issue. Nightclubs in general seem to break the fire laws without reproach. It's time for a turnstile system - like those deployed in car parks - whereby once the max capacity is exceeded you cannot let any more in until some move out.

The Stardust disaster in 1981 put the blockers on this carry-on for a while, but we seem to have been lulled into a sense on complacency. I lay the blame at the foot of the Fire Department and the City Council.:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Venivici

True, Freddy. In Coolock, Dublin there stands a memorial to the Stardust victims- I think 29 deaths and worse all in their twenties and thirties. It devestated the whole community
    I passed by early thursday morning and they had the builders in.
    Well, it makes a change from a fire in a Kavanagh-owned pub....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Venivici

Oh yeah, I was a bit drunk in Ulysses one night and went down the back stairs, thru the firedoor, which was open, for a smoke. The firedoor locked behind me and I had to exit thru a building site at the back! It's as if they really don't give two thoughts for safety.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Maybe thats just a fun drinking game? "Now that you've safely navigated your way out of the flaming inferno that once was a night club to assure your safety you must now navigate through the treacherous building site"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Heard your man tweedy was out that night as well and he is never out on the town.....

It was mostly smoke damage that was done to the place even out by the cloak room got affected.

Another story going around is that a lad was thrown out of rubys and arrested but was let go a couple of hours later and about 20 minutes after he was released the fire was started, where he got a can of deisel at that hour ill never know

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭fade2black

angry_fox wrote:
    Heard your man tweedy was out that night as well and he is never out on the town.....

It was mostly smoke damage that was done to the place even out by the cloak room got affected.

Another story going around is that a lad was thrown out of rubys and arrested but was let go a couple of hours later and about 20 minutes after he was released the fire was started, where he got a can of deisel at that hour ill never know

You like your conspiracy theories don't ya. And Tweedy is very often out in town, don't know where you got the idea that he isn't.

• Advertisement

fade2black wrote:
    You like your conspiracy theories don't ya. And Tweedy is very often out in town, don't know where you got the idea that he isn't.

To be honest i dont no what the chap looks like but two mates of mine were going on about how he is never in town, but sure looks like the fire was started by a drunken sh*te.

Hope they do a good job on the refurbishment of the place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

There was fire in T&H's as well nothing as dramatic... Just the heater over the door went on fire the band were really good as well on saturday night

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,679 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rew

There was a real fire in Rubys a few years back and when the staff were trying to get people out they were telling them to **** off untill they had finished their drinks!

Then when everyone was out a load of people tried to get back in to get their jackets! The staff were having real trouble delaing with everyone and the boncers were having to keep people form forcing their way back in....

That particualr fire was near the gas central heating BTW.

Why does it not surprise me,
    I'd say if their was a major fire in almost any nightclub in Ireland you'd be extremely lucky if the number of dead people was under 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I think someone else mentioned the Stardust accident... It sounds like we're heading that direction again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭Freddie59

Cabaal wrote:
    Why does it not surprise me,
    I'd say if their was a major fire in almost any nightclub in Ireland you'd be extremely lucky if the number of dead people was under 10.

My sentiments entirely. But the authorities seem to lack the will to do anything about it.......I wonder WHY??????????.........................:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭Bards

for the very same reasons they do not enforce all the other laws (e.g Traffic etc).. too much effort and they might have to do some work for a change.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

angry_fox wrote:

Numerous 24 hour garages would supply the fuel. :D

Bond-007 wrote:
    Numerous 24 hour garages would supply the fuel. :D

lol, he had some walk so.

Does anyone know when the place is going to be reopend? IN oxygen last saturday night, place was to packed, to packed, if there was a fire there would be at least 25+ deaths.

Advertisement