Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Upgrading Home Ed. to Pro

• 09-11-2005 12:02am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭

Having a few problems.
    Trying to boot from cd but its not working.
    I've got a dell precision m60 with Home Edition installed.
    So i've gone into setup and put the cd at the top ahead of the hard drive and usb device. So its first preference to boot from. I've tried disabling the hard drive but it wouldn't allow me.
    It then goes to an all black screen but then goes back to booting from the hard drive.

I've been googling this for a while trying to find a solution but can't.
    Can anybody give me a hand?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭tonyj

Having a few problems.
    Trying to boot from cd but its not working.
    I've got a dell precision m60 with Home Edition installed.
    So i've gone into setup and put the cd at the top ahead of the hard drive and usb device. So its first preference to boot from. I've tried disabling the hard drive but it wouldn't allow me.
    It then goes to an all black screen but then goes back to booting from the hard drive.

I've been googling this for a while trying to find a solution but can't.
    Can anybody give me a hand?
    Don't think you're supposed to boot from the xp CD....

Just boot up XP as normal, put the CD in the drive, let it autoplay, and follow the instructions.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,045 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Did you try inserting the disc when xp has fully booted up/ When I upgraded to pro, all i did was insert the disc and a msg came up asking if i wanted to upgrade to pro.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

I tried just puttting the cd in. It autoplayed alright but when i clicked install it said that

"Setup cannot continue because the version of Windows on your computer is newer than the version on the CD.

Warning: If you decide to delete the newer version of Windows that is currently installed on your computer, the files and settings cannot be recovered"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭tonyj

You're getting that error because the version installed on your PC is XP Home SP2, and the version you're trying to install is XP Pro (not SP2).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Tell you what, contact MS for help. *G* (it is a legit copy..isn't it? ahem)
    do you have a FDD?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Laguna

tonyj wrote:
    You're getting that error because the version installed on your PC is XP Home SP2, and the version you're trying to install is XP Pro (not SP2).

That's your problem right there. Format the disk and then put in the cd at boot-time to install an older version of XP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

Laguna wrote:
    That's your problem right there. Format the disk and then put in the cd at boot-time to install an older version of XP.
    Provided it is a bootable copy of XP,and not a dodgy copy.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

Get this file from my server:

<SNIP> - Please don't put links to untrusted apps that could break EULA /CM

Unpack it, start it up, choose Convert To: Professional.

Then reboot. This conversion cannot be reversed.

Enjoy.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

There are similar Registry changes to covert Workstation into Server going back to NT4 - But none of them give you the extra files that a clean install would - also M$ have historically configured the next service pack so that it could not be used.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/06/03/xp_hack/
    German computer magazine C'T claims that by changing only 2 bytes ... users can get access to certain functions only avalaible in Windows XP Professional, such as Remote Desktop, User management and enhanced security features.

There is one big drawback, though. Users won't be able to install Service Pack 2, unless they integrate SP2 in the installation CD. And that's probably too much trouble for most users, who of course are better off buying a legal version anyway. It is expected that Microsoft will change the setup files soon to prevent this hack.

You could try installing XP pro in a different folder, eg: C:\WinPro to get a dual boot , you'd have to reinstall all your apps again but they may inherit setting from the program files folder.

Or you could borrow an XP SP2 CD to do the upgrade from - but they are very rare since most versions of windows are OEM. As pointed out before if you have a valid licence you should be entitled to support.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭randomfella

Thanks a lot lads, you've all been really helpful!

I think I've got it sorted now. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

As far as I know, MS don't have any official upgrade path from home to pro, so you're left with these options:

1) reinstall with pro
    2) try one of the aforementioned hacks to "convert" it to pro

If you have a legit copy of XP Pro, I would just bite the bullet and do the reinstall, having first backed up all your documents and stuff. Then just reinstall your apps/drivers as needed.

Advertisement