Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone remember exactly when Ready To Go started?

• 09-11-2005 12:13am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,453 ✭✭✭✭

Two friends of mine having a pointlessly geeky argument about whe Eircell started Ready To Go - one of them is claiming some time in 1995, the other in 1996. First USENET reference I can find to the system is in December 1997, so I'd put a vote in for around there if I wasn't trying to avoid arguing with no clue...

Anyone know the real answer? Has to be be before Dec. 1997 obviously

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

Their ad campaign kicked off in Oct 1997, and probably gave lee-way for 1 month to official launch.
    I'd say Oct/Nov 1997.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=3126616&postcount=166
    Eircell launched in 1985 with only 20 staff and 5000 customers. (The UK networks launched in 1984)

Ready to Go prepay launched in 1997
    (Vodafone UK claim's to have launched a similar service in the UK a few months earlier)

Ready to Go, was one of the first though that's for sure.

There ya go...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭ccd

When did Digiphone knock out Speaeasy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,884 ✭✭✭grumpytrousers

whiskeyman wrote:
    Their ad campaign kicked off in Oct 1997, and probably gave lee-way for 1 month to official launch.
    I'd say Oct/Nov 1997.
    Yup - I'd say november 1997. Meself and a pal o'mine were asked if we'd do market research for "A Mobile PHone Company" that summer and the whole notion was touted to us...we were asked (as students) why we didn't have mobiles, how much we'd be willing to pay, and what we'd use a mobile phone for. Course the standard answer was "giving the aul pair two rings as a signal to call me back"

Which would have explained their reasoning for throwing out the figure of £1/minute peaktime (in 1997!!!) and 20p offpeak...

turns out we were doing the stuff for Eircell - and they were first to market. Digifone speakeasy was a few months later, and they, if memory serves, were the first to offer consumers a choice between whether they plumped for daytime peak or nighttime peak...

Advertisement