Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Be honest, how often do you speed?

Options
  • 09-11-2005 1:17am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

I love driving, and part of my love for driving is my liking of speed, ill admit that i speed on very regular basis, i love the feeling and sense of control i have over the car when doing so, i would say that i am an extremely competent driver, am always aware of my surroundings and capabilities and would never drive in such a way as to endanger other drivers, i feel that the most dangerous drivers are the ones who havent a clue whats going on around them and wouldn't know the rules of the road if it hit them in the face.

So whats the concensous? am i gonna get hung out to dry here by the angelic boards.ie users or are there others who feel the same as me? yes, i'm aware that im breaking the law by speeding when i do so, but that whilst im doing so i take the conditions and roads into account and do so in a responsible manner ( If that makes any sense).

What are your speeding habits? 112 votes

I speed at every opportunity
    0% 0 votes
    I speed on a very regular basis
    15% 17 votes
    I speed sometimes
    51% 58 votes
    I rarely ever speed
    21% 24 votes
    Speeding is akin to satanism ( i NEVER speed, ever)
    11% 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Sparky

well you shouldnt but everybody does, the flow of traffic isnt even at the speed limit.
    I think someone who is always speeding is bad, like 70kmh down a one way street is mad but the likes of cruising down the road while in control is okay at times.
    I know its wrong but your not alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,613 ✭✭✭Big Nelly

Well I would have to say I speed on a regular basis but nothing over the top....not doing 100 or anything like that.....would admit to speeding in area's around Dublin where it is supposed to be 30mph or watever it is in Kmph....this depends on the situation thou....if kids or alot of people around I wont but if it is 6 in the morning and there is not a sinner around will go about 10-15kmph over the limit....

Main road I usually go on is N3......would again maybe go 10kph over the limit if road isnt busy...this usually means it would be very earl;y on a Sunday morning or in middle of night.....apart from that then no!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Dave

I would speed alot too. Nothing mental, but 40 in a 30, 70 in a 60 and the like.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,746 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

How are you defining 'speed'?
    Do you just mean exceeding the speed limit or does it also include driving within the speed limit but too fast for the circumstances? Also, if the latter then are you excluding an additional 10-15kmph above the speed limit if it is safe to do so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭AMurphy

Depends on what you mean by "speed" and where, highway, surface streets, building estate, carpark.

should have graded it, limit +5, Limit+5~10, Limit +10~20, Limit +20.

I do 80 on the highway, even though the posted limit is 65. OTOH, so is everyone else incl the cops....so?.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

ubuill wrote:
    admit that i speed on very regular basis,................................. , i feel that the most dangerous drivers are the ones who wouldn't know the rules of the road if it hit them in the face.

Tip: Speeding is one of the biggies in the rules of the road.

kdjac

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,683 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I'd speed on a pretty regular basis, very similar to the OP actually. Circumstances have a lot to do with it such as road type and weather. Estate and local roads would be a no no, as would areas with a lot of pedestrians and/or side roads, junctions etc.

Worst offending time would be late night on a motorway, i'm talking 2 or 3am. If theres not a single car in front or behind, i'll pretty much go all out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

I drive at the speed I feel is relativly safe. Somtimes above and somtimes below the legal limit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,669 ✭✭✭mukki

i do always drive below the speed limit, well below,

between 15 and 25 in a 30zone
    between 35 and 55 in a 50 zone
    between 45 and 55 in the 60 zones
    about 60 on the motor way

i keep very close to the hedge and when cars try to over take me i
    press the breaks so they can get by quickly and safely too.

actually this morning i had 13 cars behind me at one stage

off topinc but...i saw a guy this morning in a golf vr6 (presume thats a fast fuel guzzler) and he was stuck in traffic and reading a book

KdjaC wrote:
    Tip: Speeding is one of the biggies in the rules of the road.
    one of what 'biggies'?
    mukki wrote:

any particular reason why you don't try and move with the traffic flow?
    mukki wrote:
    You should not need to brake. You should continue driving as you were when they were behind you and initiated the overtaking manouvre. No point in trying to distract the overtaking driver.
    mukki wrote:
    Oh dear God, please tell me this was in rush hour traffic
    mukki wrote:
    off topinc but...i saw a guy this morning in a golf vr6 (presume thats a fast fuel guzzler) and he was stuck in traffic and reading a book
    as opposed to being stuck in traffic picking his nose or thinking of what the girl in the adjacent car looks like naked? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,405 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

mukki wrote:
    i saw a guy this morning in a golf vr6 (presume thats a fast fuel guzzler) and he was stuck in traffic and reading a book

That wasn't me then. I prefer to read the paper or watch TV

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭Airblazer

I'll only speed on dual carriageways..I'll tip along at about 80-100 on the onside lane...of course if traffic is going slower then I'll go slower and tip along with it, but if the road is clear as it often where I am then I'll speed..where's the harm in it..no traffic near me so no one (bar myself) will get hurt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭Joeface

I have to admit that I do speed nearly every morning on the way to work
    Its more out of pure furstation than any thing else

Where I live is on a main road spead Limit is 100kph the whole to work , yet every morning there is some one driving at between 50 and 60kph, The road is kinda bendy but its plenty wide and there is no excuse for driving that far below the speed limit , It costs everyone time in the morning , so them min the road straigthens out ...Joeface Drops to Third and Floors it ...140kph before i know it and 10 Cars passed , Must point out that I only do this on the 3 wide open sections onto the road ...its wide enough at these points for a 4 lane dual carriage way with hard shoulders ,

unkel wrote:
    You are also forgetting that you drive a big 7 series not a golf! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

ubu wrote:
    i love the feeling and sense of control i have over the car when doing so,

Erm, but isn't that a contradiction? You have less control over the car when speeding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,585 ✭✭✭HelterSkelter

kbannon wrote:
    one of what 'biggies'?

any particular reason why you don't try and move with the traffic flow?

You should not need to brake. You should continue driving as you were when they were behind you and initiated the overtaking manouvre. No point in trying to distract the overtaking driver.
    Oh dear God, please tell me this was in rush hour traffic

I think he is joking, at least I hope he is!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Joeface is that why you has those points;)

maybe ...but its not that bad i only have 2 points on me licence, which is better than almost been taken clean out of it cause u suffer form sever road rage Mr Daz...how did that go again..oh now I remember , U over took some lady that pissed u off doing 160kph, going up a hill into a blind turn, and just missed the on comming car, And u only had the car 2 weeks...
    so ur answer to the poll Mr Daz is yes u do speed ....and the worse times

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

lol - thats not quite how it happened ;)

But yeah i suppose i do speed on occasions mainly going to work in the mornings..but what enrages me the most has to be the people who drive up behind ya when your in a que of traffic..and there's nowhere for anyone to go..

then they start flashing there heads as to say

: MOVE OVER AND LET DADDY PAST"

and sit on top of your bumper..

this is where the old left foot braking card has to be played to put them back in there box GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Deep breaths ... in and out ...

No .. I dont speed :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 724 ✭✭✭ubu

I put this poll up to see how often people admit to speeding, i was going to put up a seperate poll to ask the question about how much people break the speed by, thanks for the responses so far, yes there is a big difference between going 30km/h over the speed limit in an urban area and doing so on a motorway but this poll was merely to ascertain how ofter people actually do it, and not by how much.
    Erm, but isn't that a contradiction? You have less control over the car when speeding.

Well, no that was my point, i speed but i never do so in such a way that i dont have control over the car, obviously the higher the speed the less time to react to hazards etc, but i wouldnt say i have less control over the car though, although that wouldnt apply to everyone, some people dont have control over their car when its at a standstill, never mind at 120km/h

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭blastman

In line with most people, I don't speed in urban/built up areas, and I will drive at a speed that I feel is safe for the conditions (on the back roads I take to work, this is frequently less than the posted limit). However, on the motorway especially, I don't feel that 10-15 km/h over the limit is a hanging offence.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

mukki wrote:

Hehe, I assume this is said just to annoy the "slow people are just as dangerous" brigade

Theres loads of brigades here. I personally place myself in the anti-roundabout-knobjockey and the anti-loner-l-plater brigades respectively.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

I drive at the speed I feel is relativly safe. Somtimes above and somtimes below the legal limit.
    Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

unkel wrote:
    I saw a guy reading a paperback book while driving into town on the Rock road one morning in heavy stop-go traffic. He had it resting on the airbag in the middle of the steering wheel. He just looked up momentarily when moving his car forward with the traffic but did not take the book off the steering wheel at all and basically kept on reading. I was a passenger in a car in the right hand lane and we came up beside him several times. Not a bother on him. I thought he had a feckin' hard neck and I would have called the cops if I wasnt such a lazy so'n'so..:v: .

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Dagon

I reckon this should be in the rules of the road:

- You may speed to your hearts content, when it is SAFE to do so

I drive very safely in built up areas, and stick to the city limits usually (they are there for a reason). On narrow or bendy roads, or in bad conditions I drive very slow, and am very careful. I will never put myself or others in danger. In areas where I think children or animals might be around, I craaawwlll...

But when it is totally safe, I let it rip on occasion. Not all the time, because it obviously consume a lot of fuel, and causes wear and tear on the engine. But no harm in a little injection of the speed drug every now and again :)

Stay safe!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,647 ✭✭✭impr0v

I have a self-taken picture on my phone of my speedo showing 122 mph.

impr0v wrote:
    I have a self-taken picture on my phone of my speedo showing 122 mph.

lol, friend had video on his phone of me doing the same .... Speeding that is not 122mph

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭ciarsd

I try to stick to all limits all of the time with the exception of the 120KM/H motorway limit. I sometimes touch a little over that and sit at the 80MP/H marker, which is about 128KM/H.

I also find myself sitting below the legal limit at known checkpoints/speed detection spots - still not sure why, I've that small element of doubt!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

ciarsd wrote:
    I try to stick to all limits all of the time with the exception of the 120KM/H motorway limit. I sometimes touch a little over that and sit at the 80MP/H marker, which is about 128KM/H.

I also find myself sitting below the legal limit at known checkpoints/speed detection spots - still not sure why, I've that small element of doubt!

Actually thats another thing, most speedos tend to be over calibrated by 4-5% I usually drive at around 80Mph indicated whenerver its safe on a motorway. Funny how some people feel the need to high beam you when you pass them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,660 ✭✭✭Blitzkrieger

What's 'every opportunity'? If I know it's safe to drive above the speed limit.....

If 'every opportunity' means every time I'm capable of going over the speed limit, then no.

Advertisement