Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Be honest, how often do you speed?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

impr0v wrote:
    I have a self-taken picture on my phone of my speedo showing 122 mph.
    That's quite scary. The speed isn't. The fact that you took one hand off the wheel at that speed and gave some attention to a camera phone is, however.

Depending on the car, one slight wobble at that speed and you're roadkill.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Actually thats another thing, most speedos tend to be over calibrated by 4-5% I usually drive at around 80Mph indicated whenerver its safe on a motorway. Funny how some people feel the need to high beam you when you pass them.

True - whenever I have my GPS on in the car it shows a speed o exactly 10kph less than my speedo.
    I would speed every single day on the way into work. I'd generally go at about 80mph on the M50, traffic allowing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭lazylad

ubu wrote:
    I love driving, and part of my love for driving is my liking of speed, ill admit that i speed on very regular basis, i love the feeling and sense of control i have over the car when doing so, i would say that i am an extremely competent driver, am always aware of my surroundings and capabilities and would never drive in such a way as to endanger other drivers, i feel that the most dangerous drivers are the ones who havent a clue whats going on around them and wouldn't know the rules of the road if it hit them in the face.

So whats the concensous? am i gonna get hung out to dry here by the angelic boards.ie users or are there others who feel the same as me? yes, i'm aware that im breaking the law by speeding when i do so, but that whilst im doing so i take the conditions and roads into account and do so in a responsible manner ( If that makes any sense).

Fair play to ya for admitting it!!!
    I have to say Im very like you in a lot of ways. Driving while going fast makes driving all the more worthwhile for me! Its the sense of control and speed I get. Its like a kick of happiness for a brief moment and I think that's fairly natural?

I dont drive dangerously and only speed when I CAN ie when the roads are able to give me enough control. I mean driving 60 even on a backroad can be lethal!! I mean over the limit on a good well maintained road is safe enough regarding your own personal control ie eye sight reaction time judgement. I mean competency for driving is a load of factors, not just having a pink slip and being a certain age. Am I correct in saying a few years ago there was such a backlog in driving tests they gave out full licences without a test??

I mean look at all the health hazards behind the wheels in their 50s(only a few) some didnt do a driving test!!

As for speeding well I get a kick of adrenaline off of it. But I respect speed and respect dangers of it!!

I mean speeding is dangerous and people do die, but its not as worrying as other crimes in this country!!

Its just a money racket and lack of understanding and action on the governments part.

If we had dual carriageways and increased speed limits, I believe there would be less accidents! I mean why should your journey time be determined by another driver going 40 mph on a national primary road, driving into the ditch and you dont have a fast lane to safely overtake them at the speed limit?? Thats why people take risks dangerously overtaking, because they perfectly "legal" people are choosing to go a speed where other people who might go normally "legal" 60mph are getting so frustrated they overtake on double white lines etc when there is no other car in site! And that's deemed illegal even though it was provoked!

Our system is messed up and needs to be reviewed no questions asked! Use insurance and tax so people dont have to take chances on having to leave half and hour earlier for work in case they get stuck behind a tractor where ther'es no room to overtake.
    But yeah I like speed.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭StRiKeR

used to be everytime when I get behind the steering, now not so much, sometimes yes, tend to slow down and drive normal again as your get older.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

85% of the time.

Today the speed gun on the way to work told me i was doing 89 in a 50 zone, damn it i dont like those speed gun things.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,956 ✭✭✭layke

Kind of an irrelevant story but what they hey.

I was passing down through Stillorgan and came across those speed metres yesterday on my way to Toys4Boys. I had never heard about them until I saw a big sign flashing up 'YOU ARE DOING 60KPH' (the limit was 60). Anyway I was asking my mate what the story was with the sign because of course I thought I was being clocked by a speed cam. He informed it's not and everybody was speeding past it at night to see the top speed they could get.

...and i'm not a bit suprised.

To answer the topic. I do speed sometimes, mainly when there's a clear road ahead and not in a well built up estate like a public area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

on the way home on the upper kilmacud road i was doing the limit as i do slow a lot when its raining and the conditions are not the best.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭djeclips

Most mornings on way to work if i'm in early....Leaving kinnegad about 5:15 to dub.tip along at 120kph if clear and pass when get a chance.Otherwise if leave it until 6-6:10am or so am quite happy to tip along at whatever traffic is dooing.Motorway whatever the pase is going at,but like to sit at about 140kph.

Thing I can't get my head arround is why when you see nothing but a solid line of red lights in front of you,some cars are mad to get by you and make up that all important 1 car place :confused: .

Weirdest thing I ever saw was a golf passing at any chance it got and some not so safe chances.You could see him pasing like a gud thing in the distance coming into Enfield.Then went by it on the motorway at maynooth dooing about 100kph.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,560 ✭✭✭Slutmonkey57b

ubu wrote:
    Well, no that was my point, i speed but i never do so in such a way that i dont have control over the car, obviously the higher the speed the less time to react to hazards etc, but i wouldnt say i have less control over the car though, although that wouldnt apply to everyone, some people dont have control over their car when its at a standstill, never mind at 120km/h

Hmm... You must be a BMW driver who 10 years ago would have been telling us you drive better drunk than most people do sober. If you have "less time to react" you therefore have "less control over the car". It's s-i-m-p-l-e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭ds20prefecture

I speed on motorways. With my car, the opportunity rarely presents itself elsewhere.

• Advertisement
Advertisement