Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

New Microsoft OS (not Vista)

• 09-11-2005 2:50am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭

Since there's not a seperate OS board for this, I'll put it in the most related.

Microsoft are developing an entirely new Operating System from scratch that has nothing to do with Windows, it's called Singularity... (for now anyway)

http://research.microsoft.com/os/singularity/

Will it be better than Windows? Thoughts? Hopes? Unending sense of DOOM?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭HomunQlus

That's quite something they wanna do with Code Name Singularity. I have never heard of this before. But it's nevertheless interesting.

==============

The only things I know of are:

Code Name Longhorn
    Release: November 2006

Longhorn Server -
    Release date unknown

Code Name Blackcomb -
    Release: Somewhere in 2011

Blackcomb Server -
    Release: Probably somewhere in the 2nd half of 2012

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Singularity seems to be an attempt to chip away at the UNIX stronghold of labs/universities.

TBH, the market wouldn't take another OS. It's no harm to make significant changes or upgrades to existing ones, but unless it works more-or-less the same as its predecessors, it simply can't take off. Linux still has effectively a niche standing in the desktop market, and it's really only building in the server market because the software is cheap and powerful, and there are now a lot of people able/qualified to admin it without paying them a fortune.

As it is, KDE and Gnome have been steadily becoming more and more like Windows, which will begin to grab more users, but if Linux remained command-line, or X Server wasn't bundled with distros by default, way fewer people would have bothered installing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 932 ✭✭✭yossarin

They seem to be looking at a c# VM per running program?
    So its basicly a modular .Net OS

intersting though - good link.
    i do believe that software frameworks have to get better then the J2EE and .NET - they are a good start but people these days want software quicker, safer and better, and all at once.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,608 ✭✭✭✭sceptre

HomunQlus wrote:
    When Weendows expee was released and named I assumed the marketing monkeys had taken over the building. There are certain quirks in the OS that make me think they also gave the marketroids the right to actually write some of the code as well but that's another rant for another day.

There's one thing about the name "Vista" that half intrigues me though (actually perhaps "intrigues" is a bit strong, think of it as some bloke with a half-open bottle of beer open with a two second "I wonder" before thinking "sod it, who cares"). Did they name it "Vista" just so that they could have the retail name of NT Version 6 starting with the latin number VI? Is this an injoke revealing the presence of at least one mutant marketroid with a sense of humour or reality? Or should I just go and buy that bottle of beer, wait two seconds and think "sod it, who cares"?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,385 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

• Advertisement
Advertisement