Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

Michel Gondry

• 09-11-2005 3:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

Wasnt quite sure where to put this, but this seems like the right place...

Anyway, if ever proof were needed that Michel Gondry is a genius, this is is.

Anyone got any more links to his work? I've only really seen a few of his videos ("Fell in love with a girl" - need I say any more? Okay then, Eternal Sunshine...) but I don't think any other director has made as big an impact on me before.

Can anyone point me in the direction of downloading some of his stuff? I've found this excellent link that lists many of his works. Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

This is the video where Conan O'Brien turns up at the end is it? The link you gave doesn't work for me for some reason but I saw it last night on The Last Broadcast.. thought it was pretty good as music videos go although White Stripes have had better I think.

Their video for Hardest Button to Button, also done by Gondry I notice, is better I think.

Actually.. I see he did Foo Fighters 'Everlong' aswell; probably my favourite video of all time.

Cheers for bringing this guy to my attention! Although I've seen an awful lot of his work I'd only ever linked the name to a couple of movies (Eternal Sunshine and Human Nature).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

All the video's he has done with the White Stripes have been excellent. I remember seeing Everlong not long after Eternal Sunshine and immediately recognising the similarity somehow.

Every video from the past 6 or 7 years that I have really liked has in actual fact been Gondry, it is so weird (I only saw the list of videos he directed last night).

Daft Punk - Around The World
    Chemical Brothers - Star Guitar (probably the best music video ever, imo)
    Kylie Minogue - Come Into My World
    Radiohead - Knives Out

As well as that he has done tonnes of others, most notably with Bjork perhaps. I downloaded 10 or so of the videos mentioned in the link above last night and they are all remarkable in very different ways. He doesn't really have a particular style but is almost always instantly recognisable.

Looking forward to the movie coming out some time next year that he is writing and directing, with the working title "The Science of Sleep". He has said that it is roughly along the same lines as the Everlong video so it should be amazing!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,077 ✭✭✭parasite

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

Gondry is a brilliant director alright.

If you like his work I recommend you get this:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0000DK4OO/qid=1131561498/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_11_1/202-0209078-7965452

Ah joy.

The only bad thing about it is that the Radiohead video isn't on it.

[edit - took me a while to find the link so the post above got there before me. Damn parasites.]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 nightgoat

always argue with people over who's better. Gondry or cunningham. Personally i think cunningham is much better, but what do know, nothing thats what

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Too very different directors in fairness. Both very talented, although I think Gondry is more proven. Cunningham doesn't yet have a feature to his name for one thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,698 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

Wasnt quite sure where to put this

hmmm i am also unsure where this is meant to be? But seeing as a conversation has started up we'll let it lie. (also i wanna join in)

Daft Punk - Around The World

I loved that video (and the song) and i see other fav videos mentioned so i am very interested in his work dvd.

I tend to find Cunnigham's work to be a bit (finding words to describe the feeling is hard) violent on the eyes, the videos tend to enjoy shoving things that shouldnt fit (vastly different body parts etc) together and if i can remember well enough (been a year since i saw his dvd) his camera work mimics this combination. Its enjoyable but as someone said above i'm unsure of how it would translate into feature length

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Has anyone seen the Gondry video for Beck's "Deadweight" with the drumkit in the office? It's absolute genius.

Also, here's the latest on his "Science of Sleep" project:
    Gondry's next feature is his baby, tentatively titled The Science of Sleep, and very tentatively scheduled for an early 2006 release.

The film will in a way be the penultimate Gondry production: all of the ideas and techniques we've seen in Gondry's canon will collide in what is a 100% Gondry film. Partizan and Gaumont are producing. The film will likely be part French and part English, filmed entirely in France (mainly in Paris), and, yes, scripted by Michel.

Michel revealed some of the plot in early 2004, this time in the New York Times: "It's about conquering your dreams," he said of the story, in which the hero "can't wake up any more because the people in the dream don't want him to leave the dream, and they hold him as a hostage. There's a guy who commits murder in his dream but with an electric shaver. An electric shaver becomes huge and shaves everything in sight." Gaumont.com, May 2005: "It's (about) a guy trying to take control of his dreams, because his life is slipping away. In fact, he ends up controlled by them. In the meantime, he has a relationship with his neighbor, but it doesn't work out because he's too distracted by his dreams."

Gondry says the plot is basically a rough interpolation of the Everlong concept. Michel also said recently that he's probably going to change the title.

In July/August 2004, Michel was in France preparing and shooting animation for the film. Production occurred in late 2004 to early 2005.

IMDB has updated info about the cast & crew. One interesting thing is that the cinematographer is Jean-Loius Bompoint, who has worked with Gondry on numerous music videos and commercials. Music by Jean-Michel Bernard, who worked on Human Nature. Georges Bermann produced.

Also, some of the props were hand-made by Lauri Faggioni, who has worked with Michel since 2003. There's a ton of animation in Sleep, a lot Michel did himself, and every one done with a Bolex.

Sleep has been sitting for at least two years while Human Nature and Eternal Sunshine were produced.

Also, theres a quite recent interview with him on MTV.com:

http://www.mtv.com/movies/news/articles/1513124/11072005/story.jhtml

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    he film will in a way be the penultimate Gondry production

Does that mean he's only making one more film after this? Or did they just mean ultimate?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,046 ✭✭✭Dustaz

parasite wrote:

I always reckoned Gondrys real genius was managing to charge people 20 quid for his showreel :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement