Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland at USA '94.

• 09-11-2005 10:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

This clip isn't as good as the Italia '90 one that I posted.
    Not as many happy memories of a nation gone mad.

Still, a nice goal against Italy, and a win too as revenge for putting us
    out of the competition in 1990.

Enjoy the clip, 29MB download.

Have a lamp of it here:
    http://www.iol.ie/~shamalive/usa.htm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Ireland 1994 = 36 year old player on the verge of violence after being prevented access onto the pitch to help his team.

Ireland 2003-2005 = half-a dozen players ranging in ages 28-34 'retire' despite still playing top-flight football.

Says it all really imho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

watching this makes me really want Aldo to get the Irish job :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Watching it makes me feel sorry for packie

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭shamalive

padser wrote:
    Watching it makes me feel sorry for packie

Yeah, he was absolutely gutted when the second one went in.
    Has to be said that he should have stopped it though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

Yeah it was a terrible mistake by Packie against the dutch. The win against Italy was a great result. Probably one of our best although Pagluica(SP) really should have saved Houghtans shot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Yeah I forgot how annoyed shal we say Aldo was :) ! Didn't we have a disallowed goal from McGrath in that game against the Dutch?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Yeah I forgot how annoyed shal we say Aldo was :) ! Didn't we have a disallowed goal from McGrath in that game against the Dutch?

Yep, it was a header. Houghton missed a good chance as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,307 ✭✭✭cruiserweight

Lemlin wrote:
    Yep, it was a header. Houghton missed a good chance as well.

You sure I could have sworn it was disallowed for a high foot!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,251 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

You sure I could have sworn it was disallowed for a high foot!

Think it was a header, don't quote me on it :)

Remember Houghton missing a good chance. I think McGrath's was disallowed because he jumped on the defender though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

I have a great 6 minute video of the highlights of the tournament in general, anyone know where I can upload it? Rapidshare and Putfile won't let me.

(Its 57mbs)

• Advertisement

MrJoeSoap wrote:
    I have a great 6 minute video of the highlights of the tournament in general, anyone know where I can upload it? Rapidshare and Putfile won't let me.

(Its 57mbs)
    Plenty more of highlights here
    http://fifaworldcup.yahoo.com/06/en/p/video.html#

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,013 ✭✭✭✭eirebhoy

MrJoeSoap wrote:

(Its 57mbs)
    www.yousendit.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

Only time i seen a header scored from outside the box with the keeper in goal.
    Super header one of the best ever!

kdjac

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Lemlin wrote:
    Think it was a header, don't quote me on it :)

Remember Houghton missing a good chance. I think McGrath's was disallowed because he jumped on the defender though.

I remember it like it was yesterday. McGrath was my hero and no one in a green shirt deserved a world cup goal more than him. It was disallowed for high feet - a wrong decision in my opinion. McGrath flicked the ball over Rijkaard as he stooped down around waist high level to head the ball clear, then cooly slotted the ball past the keeper.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Goosebumps all over watching that Houghton goal. Keane and McGrath in the backbone of the Ireland team, think we'll ever have it that good again?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭arbeitsscheuer

Nunu wrote:
    I remember it like it was yesterday. McGrath was my hero and no one in a green shirt deserved a world cup goal more than him. It was disallowed for high feet - a wrong decision in my opinion. McGrath flicked the ball over Rijkaard as he stooped down around waist high level to head the ball clear, then cooly slotted the ball past the keeper.
    Total agreement. For a long time I went around insisting that Ireland had only lost 2-1 and not 2-0, makes me smile at my own naivety tbh. I was only 9, sure.

Phelan and Babb f**ked us between them for the first goal, and Bonner, well, must've been mesmerised by Jonk's brand spanking new shaven head or something... Inexplicable lapse from such a legend.

But it was a fun world cup, seeing teams like Sweden, Bulgaria and Romania kicking ass against heavyweights like Argentina and Germany was fun. The Nigerians were robbed against Italy as well... Great world cup.

KdjaC wrote:
    Only time i seen a header scored from outside the box with the keeper in goal.
    Israel scored 2 in the last campaign, one against us. :)

eirebhoy wrote:
    Israel scored 2 in the last campaign, one against us. :)
    This is probably the only time we're actually thankful you didnt back that up with a video link :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

whiskeyman wrote:
    www.megaupload.com/en/

Unlimited downloads, just as long as there is at least one download a month.

The last time I checked, yousendit had a limit of 7 days or 25 downloads. That might have changed though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Ah USA 94 was great. Was in the pub watching McGrath against Holland, what a genius and a piece of magic against Holland, pity it was disallowed. He was definately the backbone of the team.

• Advertisement

www.megaupload.com/en/

Unlimited downloads, just as long as there is at least one download a month.

The last time I checked, yousendit had a limit of 7 days or 25 downloads. That might have changed though.
    Am I the only one who finds megaupload as slow as hell though? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

I can't understand how people are looking back at this WC with fondness from an Irish point of view.
    We went to the tournament on a high having beaten both Germany and Holland in away friendlies. I know they were only friendlies but the media had plenty to say about the value of the wins coming up to a WC.

In the tournament itself we beat Italy with a flukey goal (yes it was a fluke). We lost dismally to Mexico and were party to one of the most boring game in history in the 0-0 draw with Norway.
    We got to the 2nd round and were outclassed by Holland (the same team we had beaten in an away friendly in April).

Then there was the home coming party which was an embracement.

Basically it was a disaster, we may have beaten Italy but they went on to the final remember.

Charlton should have gone after WC ’94, to me it seemed at the time the natural end to his reign.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,592 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

eirebhoy wrote:
    Am I the only one who finds megaupload as slow as hell though? :)

Yeah its terribly slow, guess thats the pay off for them giving unlimited downloads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Weren't the pubs on strike for the first match over here?

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭shamalive

BaZmO* wrote:
    Weren't the pubs on strike for the first match over here?

B.

They were, I cut that piece out of the clip... the file was getting too big!

Advertisement