Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roundabouts .... why can't people use them?????

Options
  • 09-11-2005 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭

Ok this is a bit of a rant but I'm really fumming!!
    Why can't people use roundabouts correctly!! It's really wrecking my head! You queue all the way around the roundabout only to have this really ignorant driver come up the outside of you & expect to be let in!!

Coming to work this morning was REALLY bad ... I'm going to postal one of these days!!
    These drivers are SO SO SO ignorant, they stare at you as if you're the one that's in the wrong & that you should stop your car & let them in, I'm so sick of it ....

Ok rant over!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Why?
    Because you live in Ireland.....The only country in the world who put traffic lights on roundabouts...wtf like!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Hagar

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Why?
    Because you live in Ireland.....The only country in the world who put traffic lights on roundabouts...wtf like!

Not true.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&q=traffic+light+controlled+roundabout&meta=

Google is your friend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ravenhead

GaRtH_V wrote:
    Why?
    That's just it, in the city that I work there the roundabouts aren't even that big, people couldn't be that thick that they just don't know how to use them, I really think it's just pure ignorance!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭garthv

Hagar wrote:
    I see....
    But still, isn't the whole point of a roundabout to avoid traffic lights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭Femelade

ok, u have to look out for learner drivers too.
    in cork there's the kinsale roundabout, ie. magic roundabout, panel beaters roundabout...

its terrifing! i have yet to conquer this roundabout, i am only driving wit a few months so i hope when i finally pluck up the courage to attempt this roundabout, that people will notice my L plates and be a little considerate.

i think i will sh1t myself though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭dundalk cailin

im a learner driver, i use the roundacbouts properly, ie indicating at the right time berfore your exit and being in the right lane etc, and it unnerves me when people zoom past from all directions, and me abiding by the rules! im with you femmy, hoping that drivers be considerate...dont think its put into practice unfortunately!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭The_Goose

do you indicate in until you come to your exit then indicate out?

Traffic light at a roundabout, Why didt they just have an intersection?
    Well we all know the brains up there in dublin who think up this tripe so lets just be happy they didnt put in a loop d loop in too :)

im a learner driver, i use the roundacbouts properly, ie indicating at the right time berfore your exit and being in the right lane etc, and it unnerves me when people zoom past from all directions, and me abiding by the rules! im with you femmy, hoping that drivers be considerate...dont think its put into practice unfortunately!

That's for sure, I'm working in Limerick city & drive in every day & I have to say it's the worst place in the country for ignorant drivers, I'm driving nearly 6years & I've NEVER come across a place as bad!

ok this is what i have to deal with...
    its a changed a bit now but this is th eonly pic i have.... still terrifying though...

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/popmap/map.asp?action=zoomin&x=167625&y=69100&id=70593&zoomlevel=10&width=500

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

reminds me of the m50 one (fecking lanes all over the place), i feckin hate that one, its only a matter of time before some eejit drives into the side of me.

• Advertisement

sure there's an accident everyday on it!
    i think people need ot be patient.
    there are traffic lights on it now...which (dont kill me) i think are a good idea, when there are so many lanes and so many exits..

Yeah the Kinsale one is really crappy, what I can't stand is people on some round abouts that don't have traffic lights, where there are only two lanes, one on the inside to go around the roundabout & one on the outside to take one of the first or so exits & they still use the inside lane to get off the first exit & cause a queue & hold up all the traffic while they try to get it & then nearly edge you into the side of the round about because they want your spot & after all even though you've queued all the way around the roundabout, in the right lane, YOU should stop & let them in & get the DEVIL eyes from them while they try to get in!! It's SOOOO frustrating!:mad: :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,304 ✭✭✭✭koneko

Yeah, pet peeve of mine too, it's annoying. People don't seem to know which lane to use, ie they'll go on the inside lane to go straight through, or just go all the way around in the left lane. Others don't know when to indicate, they'll indicate right when they're going straight through (how this makes sense to them, I don't know), or don't indicate at all... ever... It's really not that hard to use a roundabout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Franky Boy

Because people tend to be spas when figuring out logic.Also trafiic lights are placed in the not irrelevant places!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Femmy wrote:
    its a changed a bit now but this is th eonly pic i have.... still terrifying though...

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/popmap/map.asp?action=zoomin&x=167625&y=69100&id=70593&zoomlevel=10&width=500
    lol, that's pretty bad alright :p

When I get insured, this is the one I'll have to master (the Walkinstown roundabout)

http://www.aaroadwatch.ie/popmap/map.asp?action=zoomin&x=311138.5&y=230901.5&id=70593&zoomlevel=12&width=320

It's not as bad as yours probably, but it's bloody crazy...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Just be glad that they havn't gone as far as trying to setup a magic roundabout in Ireland and then add traffic lights to that as well.

Magic Roundabout

No thats not the one with Dougal and Zebedee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Holy sheeiite, are those things actually effective?!

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

Irish people don't have a clue how to use roundabout. No one ever indicates and its so annoying and dangerous.

If you think we have it bad though check out this crazy Magic Roundabout in Swindon:

http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm

EDIT: robinph beat me to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 708 ✭✭✭finlma

DaveMcG wrote:
    Holy sheeiite, are those things actually effective?!

They are effective cause they scare people into using alternative routes.

What's the story if someone does hit you on the roundabout & they were in the wrong lane, where do you stand???

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭trishh

Femmy wrote:

Horrific looking roundabout !

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

ravenhead wrote:
    What's the story if someone does hit you on the roundabout & they were in the wrong lane, where do you stand???
    That depends on what you mean by the wrong lane, and the circumstances surrounding it. The cause of the accident is key. They could be in the wrong lane, but if the cause was your failure to yield (because you assumed he was going all the way around instead of straight through, for example), then you're at fault.
    If, on the other hand, the crash is caused by him trying to go all the way around in the left-hand lane, then he could be at fault. However some roundabouts indicate that you can take the last exit when entering from the left-hand lane.

As I say, depends on circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,286 ✭✭✭SprostonGreen

My ideal job would be to take licenses of people who cant drive and ban them for life. I would have a very busy day though, in this country.

Dont start me on the Walkinstown roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭gibo_ie

koneko wrote:
    ie they'll go on the inside lane to go straight through, or just go all the way around in the left lane.

You can go straight through on either lane unless signposted otherwise.

Stay in the left hand lane, indicate "left" as you approach and continue to indicate until you have passed through the roundabout. Stay in the left hand lane, but do not indicate "left" until you have passed the first exit. Where conditions dictate otherwise, you may follow the course shown by the broken line."

This is the one & only time you can stay in the left lane when going straight - the round about also has to have two lanes coming off the round about.

ravenhead wrote:
    the round about also has to have two lanes coming off the round about.

Not many roundabouts ive been on that you can see how many lanes are on the exit when you enter it. Especailly if you ahve two coming on and some only have one off .. e.g. roundabout beside Leopardstown Business park/racecourse..
    ravenhead wrote:
    Where conditions dictate otherwise, you may follow the course shown by the broken line

What conditions.. i know this is the rule of the road in some books, but it is common sence to think that if there are two lanes coming onto a roundabout there will be two lanes off. So "either lane for straight ahead, left lane for first two exits only, right lane for any exit except first" is the rule of thumb i would go with.

And if going straight ahead -- i hate when people indicate right coming on to the roundabou, this is just idiotic, indicate left after you pass the exit before the one you are taking. What is the point in indicating right when you are not going right at any point in the roundabout....
    arghhh

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I've come across a few people indicating right as they approach the roundabout and then taking the first exit left. The first time I saw it happen I just thought it was a stupid mistake, but it happens too often for that. There must be some idiot instructor somewhere that is telling people to do this. Its as if they are indicating right inorder to turn onto the roundabout like if you were just pulling out from being parked at the side of the road, then not bothering to change their indicators once on the roundabout.

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Dr Pepper

What is the point in indicating right when you are not going right at any point in the roundabout....
    arghhh

It's clearly stated in the rules of the road that if you are taking the 3rd or subsequent exits, you use your right indicator from approaching the roundabout until you pass the last exit before the one you're taking, then use your left. (i.e. the right indicator indicates that you are continuing around the roundabout, the left indicates that you are about to exit!)

[EDIT]Doh! Just realised that you were talking about 'going straight'. Sorry gibo_ie :) [/EDIT]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Binomate

finlma wrote:
    Irish people don't have a clue how to use roundabout. No one ever indicates and its so annoying and dangerous.

If you think we have it bad though check out this crazy Magic Roundabout in Swindon:

http://www.swindonweb.com/life/lifemagi0.htm

EDIT: robinph beat me to it.
    That roundabout doesn't look to hard at all. So long as you stick to your lane and think ahead you'd be fine on it. I think the worst roundabouts are the French ones. They have to give right of way to people coming on to the roundabout instead of giving right of way to the people on hte websites.

• Advertisement

Dr Pepper wrote:
    [EDIT]Doh! Just realised that you were talking about 'going straight'. Sorry gibo_ie :) [/EDIT]

No worries :)

Advertisement