Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EsatBT Modem

• 09-11-2005 11:08am
    Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭

Hi
    I have signed up to get broadband from esatbt and was wondering does anybody know what modem they give you? I was thinking of getting a wireless router and want to know if the modem they give you allows a router to be connected or would I be better off getting a router with built-in modem and foreget about the one they supply. Also does anybody recommend any particular make of router?
    Thanks
    Paul

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭di11on

I'd like to know exactly the same thing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭incisor71

r0chf0rt wrote:
    Hi
    I have signed up to get broadband from esatbt and was wondering does anybody know what modem they give you?
    They supply a Zyxel Prestige 623R-T1 router, which is not a wireless version. Visit this place and choose Prestige 623 from the "Select a Product" drop-down menu, under "DSL CPE" heading.

(I've been watching mine gathering dust for the past two months, thanks to Eircom's inability to perform a line test for the past two months. Will send it back to them tomorrow, as I've given up hope at this stage.)

The Zyxel router has never given me any problems, either in terms of stability or connection speed.

According to their website, they do permit usage of a router other than the one supplied, such as the wireless version you cited - but they also wash their hands of responsibility for any problems you might have with using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭r0chf0rt

Thanks for that incisor. I checked their website and you can get a ZyAIR G-1000 to connect to the modem to enable wireless connections. Seeing as this device is over €100 on its own I would rather try an find an all in one device as it would mean one less connection. Does anybody have an all in one wireless modem router working on a BT conection ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 820 ✭✭✭Diabolus

Just buy an ADSL-Wireless Router.
    BT supply people with a Zyxel P660 router now and its still not wireless.
    But as the man said ... they wash themselves of responsibility if u use one.

Linksys are always good.

Just talked to BT Sales rep and they say the model they supply is Prestige Zyxel 623 R-T1.

I'm currently a UTV Clicksilver customer and was enquiring about the process for switching to BT. I asked if there's a connection charge and apparrently, the connection charge is "at the discretion" of the company I'm switching from!!!!

So apparrently, UTV can charge BT to transfer me over even though my contract with UTV is up!! That's insane. I have to pay UTV to switch me to BT! What sort of liberated environment is that???!!?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Yogiincork

di11on wrote:
    Just talked to BT Sales rep and they say the model they supply is Prestige Zyxel 623 R-T1.

DON'T take it! It's just plain crap...I know first-hand..got it w/ my BT BB connection.
    When you do plan to use BitTorrent, it's not a good choice for you.
    It keeps on freezing once you get decent d/l speeds (probably due to the many connections), and you have to power cycle it to make it work again.
    And I have read many reports like that from other users like that.
    Get a decent ADSL router or a DSL modem + (W)LAN router.
    I ordered for expample a D-Link 360T via eBay (used) for 10 Bucks.
    Ok...but to be fair, if you don't plan to use BitTorrent, the Zyxel does a reasonably good job.
    But trust me, you WILL use BitTorrent :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 281 ✭✭incisor71

Yogiincork wrote:
    Ok...but to be fair, if you don't plan to use BitTorrent, the Zyxel does a reasonably good job.
    But trust me, you WILL use BitTorrent :D
    This is a long shot, but have you (or anyone you know) had experience of using the Netopia wireless router (supplied with Eircom BB Home Plus) with BitTorrent? With so many models out there, it's hard to know how to choose....

I haven't jumped on the BitTorrent bandwagon until now but now that I can get broadband (after waiting only two months for Eircom to pull the finger out - line passed this morning and I ordered broadband this morning) it looks interesting enough to be a very worthwhile jump!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

r0chf0rt wrote:
    Thanks for that incisor. I checked their website and you can get a ZyAIR G-1000 to connect to the modem to enable wireless connections. Seeing as this device is over €100 on its own I would rather try an find an all in one device as it would mean one less connection. Does anybody have an all in one wireless modem router working on a BT conection ?
    I've used both the netgear DG834G and DG834GT on my BT broadband with no hassles.

Excellent routers - I'd recommend the DG834G to anyone (plus you can flash it and run a custom version of Linux on it with more features :))

I'm currently with UTV Clicksilver (sympathy please) and they provided a Zyxel 630 C series. Had no problems once I installed RasPPPoE. I also used eMule.

I'd like to set up a wireless network. Could I connect the BT Zyxel 623 modem to a wireless router or would I be better off getting an integrated ADSL Modem/Wireless router?

Can anyone recommend a model?

I decided to go for the netgear DG834GT as is seemed to be an all-in-one solution. I tried connecting it last night but didnt have much joy. One thing I noticed on the line shield is that the phone socket is an english phone type. When I plugged the phone line directly into the router the adsl network light was flashing wheras when i go through the line shield the light does nothing. Is there something else i need to connect to get it to work? Hope this makes some sense. Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,762 ✭✭✭WizZard

Use the microfilters supplied by your ISP. The included one doesn't work.

Thanks wizzard. I havent got my modem from bt yet so Ill try that when it arrives. I would have thought since I bought the modem in pc world that it would have been compatible.

Advertisement