Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Protecting Saplings from Deer

• 09-11-2005 11:57am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

God damn the lack of forum search, so apologies if this has been posted before....

Seems like we've a few deer taking up resident in the locality, seems like the high mountains are becoming over populated at their moving down more frequently, and 3 different one's spotted in the last 2 days. That's kinda beside the point, and I think it's great to see them up close and personal.

However, I'm about to put in a substantial order of tree's/ hedging and wondered if anyone has any tips on how to avoid them becoming deer food for the winter. I'm particularly concerned about the native hedge I'm planning on putting in (as this will be the bulk of my purchase), as I've heard that young whitethorn are particularly tasty for livestock. Not sure on the blackthorn but I assume the same applies too.

Is fencing and/or netting my only option?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,343 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

.22?

seriously though I cant see whitethorn/blackthorn being tasty for anything, esp not in the winter time, but I could be wrong.

is sceach (not sure how to spell, it's irish) blackthorn or whitethorn? i think it's whitethorn, and I can guarantee cattle wont touch that one, makes for great fencing, even knacks wont come through it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭Macy

I was surprised too, but according to the self sufficiency book* that I have it says that whilst they grow to be a stock proof hedge, during their first few years their soft wood is attractive to animals to eat.

Not sure on the irish for whitethorn aka hawthorn aka quickthorn. But it is the pre-barbed wire barbed wire. That's just a bonus really - great for wildlife (shelter and berries), easily maintained (cutting once a year and won't grow to tall), you get the may blossom in the spring too.

*got it as a tongue in check present, but suprisingly useful. Looking forward to making some of the wines next summer especially. :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭Umiq88

post it on the shooting forum and you'll find out how most effective and cost efficent way of getting rid of deer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,447 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Try talking to the local wildlife ranger (I think they work fo Dúchas) or the ones in the Phoenix Park where there is a resident herd. I think you basicly need to keep them head + neck length away from the you growth & bark.

Also take a look at the portection on the trees on O'Connell Street - its a mat made from sticks wrapped around the trunk, designed to stop graffitti and general abuse, but might be useful.
    JohnBoy wrote:
    .22?
    .22 is not appropriate for hunting deer, it can result in serious injury that is insufficient for a humane kill.

A pack of large hungry wolves might work though. :v:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,447 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Oh, you know the chicken wire they use to support hedges on road medians - it has a grid of about 150x150mm with sturdy wire. You could make a fence of this and have it set back from the hedge / trees. Common on the continent to stop wildlife from running onto roads.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Occidental

Macy,

Fencing would need to be about 5ft high with barbed wire across the top before you will stop deer and even then it will only be a deterrent. Personally I'd wait and see if it's becoming a problem and if it is I'd run a low electric fence close to the top of the hedgeline.

Btw, if it hasn't been mentioned to you, you could do with laying down a sheet of black plastic and planting your trees through this. Hawthorn and Blackthorn don't like early competition and also benefit from a bit of heat in the ground during early growth. The plastic will help you with both of these.

Occidental wrote:
    Btw, if it hasn't been mentioned to you, you could do with laying down a sheet of black plastic and planting your trees through this. Hawthorn and Blackthorn don't like early competition and also benefit from a bit of heat in the ground during early growth. The plastic will help you with both of these.
    Hadn't heard that, but I'll bear that in mind. Although, I'd have to lug a lot of stones to stop it blowing away where it is on the site.

Think I'll take my chances as it doesn't seem much will stop them.

Shooting the deer isn't an option, although between them and the 6 resident pheasants, could have a nice bit of game for the christmas... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Gryzor

think i'll have to go to my local park ranger aswell....few scumbags round my way keep rippin up the trees...shaggers..:mad:

i like the sound of that .22 though....
    it can result in serious injury that is insufficient for a humane kill.
    ....yeah that sounds much better...:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 102 ✭✭Calluna

Hi there,

Yes hawthorn is also called whitethorn or sceach geal/sceach. The advice from the hedgerow experts is that a plastic liner about 1.5 metres side (something like silage wrap even) will protect your hedge from weeds and in the long term and especially the first few years and is well worth the investment unless you intend to weed religiously - best intentions and all. A double row hedge (planted alternately i.e like a zig zag) which costs a bit more, also makes for a better, stockproof hedge. Some of these measures might seem expensive, but you will end up with a better quality, taller hedge which provides a better barrier, quicker. You might need to protect it from other grazing animals - and I'm not sure what's the best thing to do with deer - you can get tree guards (like a plastic cylinder about 1 metre tall and 20cm diametre) which the tree grows up inside, but I've only ever seen them used for trees - eg oak, ash etc and for hedging might be expensive. Again, a great job for protecting trees from rabbits and other grazers. Networks for Nature have published a good book called 'Irish Hedgerows' in the last year, which is good for advice on planting - or you could try contacting a local Teagasc or REPS Agricultural Consultant as they are trying to encourage hedges all over at the moment and probably would have good advice even over the phone.

Hope it's of help....

Cheers. Coillte sent through a load of stuff with the order forms. Just getting organised to buy them now...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 338 ✭✭PaddyBloggit

How did the hedging and the deer problem work out Macy?

I need to plant hedging but have 5/6 deer coming in to property at dusk feeding (it's a holiday home so they have the place to themselves a lot of the time).

Any other suggestions out there?

(Shooting not an option ... they come via a neighbour who has taken shooters to court ... and won ... 'cos they shot his deer/pets - I have nothing against the deer ... so shooting them wouldn't be an option I'd choose anyway)

Advertisement