Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a House

Options
  • 09-11-2005 12:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭

I have a house for the last seven years and am currently building
    I cannot decide if I will have to sell the house when I move but i could have to in a few years. How long can I hold onto it before I am liable to capital gains. Basically I dont have a pension but I would see holding onto the house as a better investment I dont think I can afford both

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

If you move into another house and keep this one as an investment you will pay capital gains tax regardless of how long you keep it.

actually, i think you might be able to hold onto it for a year. sorry not 100%.

But i do know that the tax you are liable for is from the time you bought the hoise til the time you sell it. NOT for the period you rent it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭ck1

Jsut for info for you Capital Gains Tax in situation like this is based on a Time Apportionment basis so you would not be liable for CGT based on the full gain from original purchase price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭Maccattack

ck

can you give any more info?

My undersatnding is as above. Why would this situation be different?

Advertisement