Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice Needed

Options
  • 09-11-2005 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭

Ok here's the deal. Sorry its so long

I bought a camera from the Sony Centre in Blanchardstown in Nov 03'. Soon after i bought it the flash stopped working.

Brought it back and asked the guy in the shop could he fix it. He said that i had turned off the flash and to read the manual - extremly rude person.

After going through the manual about 100 times i realised that the camera was broken.

Brought it back to the sony centre and the same guy told me it couldnt be fixed without proof of purchase and i didnt have my receipt. I told him it was bought on a credit card and would that not be on his systems and he said no that i needed my receipt.

So a month or so later i decided i'd pay to get the camera fixed. So went back out to the sony centre and i was talking to a different guy who told me that the camera was under warranty and that it could be fixed free of charge and he looked up his computer and found the credit card details. I was extremly annoyed that this could be done after the first guy telling me it couldnt.

So i left the camera in with them and 3 months later + they tell me the camera is ready. I went out to collect the camera and the first guy that i was talking to hands me over the camera. I asked him what caused the fault and he said "Ah sure you dropped it so many times it was bound to break"
    I was like "excuse me?" and he said "sure look at the state of the camera"

The camera had 2 big huge marks on it. Now i left the camera in in perfect condition so i refused to take the camera back and wanted to speak to the manager. The manager confirmed that on their own report on the camera's condition when it was left in it said "good condition" - so no marks!

After about an hour or so they eventually agreed to replace the case on the camera and they gave me a free memory stick. That was last August

The camera was working fine. Took it out to use it in May and noticed that the pictures where slightly pink and a few pictures that were taking in daylight had come out black. (i just thought that i had my finger over the lens or something)

Used the camera there again last week and theres the same problem again. The pictures are of terrible quality and some of them come out just black.

I rang up sony ireland but they said i'll have to pay €60 to have it sent off to be looked at and then i'll have to pay money on top of that to get fixed.

Obviously the camera wasnt fixed properly the first time, or maybe when the camera was dropped it caused some other damage.

What should I do? I'm reluctant to pay any money to get a camera fixed that was supposed to have been fixed already.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

maybe you could try and get the name and number of the sony rep. for the dublin area and explain the story to him, and tell him that the shop were of no use to you..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Email Sony directly. The SC in Limerick charged me 30quid to tell me what was wrong with my MiniDisc player. I went into them, told them the catch was broken on it. They said fine, 30 to repair, and I agreed. Came back about 2 months+ later, with a note saying catch is broken, 100euro to repair. I paid 100$ for it.

I emailed Sony, said this was disgraceful. They asked me to post it to them and they fixed it free of charge.

Those Sony Centres are just franchises. Go above their heads.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭scuby

go for it Orla, i think chrislad is right... let us know how you get on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

have you got the email address for them?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,564 ✭✭✭✭whiskeyman

orla wrote:
    have you got the email address for them?
    Better go quick Orla :D

http://www.rte.ie/business/2005/1109/sony.html

Sony Ireland
    82 Bromhill Road
    Tallaght
    Dublin 24

Telephone: 00353 1 4131700
    Open: 9:00am to 1:00pm and 2:00pm to 5:30pm, Monday to Friday

• Advertisement

thats the people i rang today and they said €60 to send it off and find out whats wrong with it first...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭RainyDay

Legally, you have no relationship with Sony Ireland. Your contract is with whoever you paid your money to, in this case, the Sony Centre. I'd be inclined to give the centre one more chance - send a registered letter outlining your complaint and outline specifically what you want them to do (repair? replace? refund?) to the manager or director of the shop. Let them know how rude the first staff member was. Mention the ODCA and the Small Claims Court as your next steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,396 ✭✭✭✭Karoma

RainyDay wrote:
    Legally, you have no relationship with Sony Ireland. Your contract is with whoever you paid your money to, in this case, the Sony Centre. I'd be inclined to give the centre one more chance - send a registered letter outlining your complaint and outline specifically what you want them to do (repair? replace? refund?) to the manager or director of the shop. Let them know how rude the first staff member was. Mention the ODCA and the Small Claims Court as your next steps.

Spot on.
    What I'd add is to request documentation from the Sony Centre,so that if it comes to it you have some proof and also just to scare them - i.e. Their report which claims that the camera was in an acceptable condition when it was handed over.
    There is little that Sony Ireland can,or will, do for you (Unless you really kick up a fuss - which,in fairness,is unfair as it wasn't their rep's that were involved.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Sony Centre trades under Sony's brandname. I would ring sony ireland.. explain the situation. Point out how you always thought that they were an excellent brand with a good reputation for reliability. Explain how shoddly you were treated by a company which for all intents and purposes represents Sony on the ground in Ireland and see where you get...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

OP

How did you get on with the camera.

• Advertisement

I bought a new one. I refused to give Sony any more money to fix a camera that they didn't fix when i left it in the first time.

Got no reply after i sent the letter and Sony Ireland bascially didn't care less.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,667 ✭✭✭maidhc

If you still have the camera it would be worth bringing it back to Sony Ireland.

They admitted late in 2005 that their CCDs had an inherent fault that caused premature death in much the manner you have described. They have agreed to replace all affected cameras FOC.

See http://www.engadget.com/2005/10/10/sony-comes-clean-about-ccd-defect/

Advertisement