Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

usb data link, are they any good?

Options
  • 09-11-2005 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

setup is : xp home desktop, xp pro laptop (bluetooth, no burner), broadband router
    is it worth setting up a network between these using the router, for transfering files fairly infrequently between the two, or would a usb data link suffice

its for a mate, and he has a palm on his setup too (think that might be where the bluetooth connection is coming from, and not part of the wifi router hardware, havent seen the setup yet) but i know he sorta fumbled the whole thing together till it worked, so i dont want to open up a can of worms.
    so are there any potential probs with using a usb data link.
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I would go with the network using the broadband router. Has the advantage that both computers can use the internet also. Do both computers have ethernet cards? Many USB data links are USB 1.1 which is very slow.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭okden

both have usb2, firewire, ethernet
    all 3 have internet accesss now but i doubt hes using static ips (if thats relevent) palm + lappy = bluetooth, destop = ethernet (router)
    burning disks would work for the amount of transfers hed be making but lappy has no burner (ultraportable).

Advertisement