Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Am I the only MK Dons fan in Ireland?

• 09-11-2005 1:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭

I'm so lonely, are any there others out there like me?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

you can be the founder of a supporters club...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Why limit it to Ireland?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

I hope so. I do know a few AFC Wimbledon fans though

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,066 ✭✭✭Firewalkwithme

bohsman wrote:
    I hope so. I do know a few AFC Wimbledon fans though

Well I was a supporter of Wimbledon from the late 80's and when the split happened it was a tough choice between MK Dons, AFC Wimbledon - or noboday at all. I chose MK Dons because I thought it was the best thing to do for the club, though perhaps not the fans. Only time will tell if I was right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,881 ✭✭✭bohsman

It is not the same club. If Bohs moved to Cork and renamed themselves Cork Gypsies I would not support them.

What actually remained of the old club when they moved?
    Players? Manager? Directors?
    All of the above change over the years anyway, its the community and fans that make a team not a league license

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,375 ✭✭✭padser

Despatch wrote:
    I'm so lonely, are any there others out there like me?

Short answer, Yes

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dub13

If only we got the Dublin Dons back in the mid 90s :eek:

bohsman wrote:
    It is not the same club. If Bohs moved to Cork and renamed themselves Cork Gypsies I would not support them.

What actually remained of the old club when they moved?
    Players? Manager? Directors?
    All of the above change over the years anyway, its the community and fans that make a team not a league license

You're right - there wasn't much left but I made my choice and I have to live with it, forever. I'm still hoping that the new staium will help them make their way back up the leagues but it's going to be a long haul.

How far exactly is MK from Wimbledon....?

Not that it matters of course,just out of intrest.

Dub13 wrote:
    How far exactly is MK from Wimbledon....?

Not that it matters of course,just out of intrest.

50 miles or so, that's why it made sence to rename the club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Im surprised there arent more irish MK Dons fans - afterall, most irish football fans havent a clue what its like to actually support a team, cannot identify with any team and the geography of supporting a team in the UK is a non issue, so why are the MK Dons so bad in Irish 'football' fans minds? Afterall, all they are is another cross channel team. Im sure most of these Irish 'football' fan actually wanted to see the Dublin Dons actually happen :rolleyes:

Personally i wish everything bad upon MK Dons and Charles Coppell. Wimbledon were a proud club who upset an awful lot of people, but had the respect of all. Now they are a sad shadow of that, playing in the concrete valley that is Milton Keynes (supposedly a real life version of Cypree Creek in the Simpsons). If Coppell wanted a team for MK so badly, why not start a team anew from there, rather than raping and pillaging an already existing one.

I hope the continue to be relegated, until AFC pass them out.

gimmick wrote:
    Im surprised there arent more irish MK Dons fans - afterall, most irish football fans havent a clue what its like to actually support a team, cannot identify with any team and the geography of supporting a team in the UK is a non issue, so why are the MK Dons so bad in Irish 'football' fans minds? Afterall, all they are is another cross channel team. Im sure most of these Irish 'football' fan actually wanted to see the Dublin Dons actually happen :rolleyes:

Personally i wish everything bad upon MK Dons and Charles Coppell. Wimbledon were a proud club who upset an awful lot of people, but had the respect of all. Now they are a sad shadow of that, playing in the concrete valley that is Milton Keynes (supposedly a real life version of Cypree Creek in the Simpsons). If Coppell wanted a team for MK so badly, why not start a team anew from there, rather than raping and pillaging an already existing one.

I hope the continue to be relegated, until AFC pass them out.

Charles Coppell has nothing to do with the club, Pete Winklelman is now the chairman. Everyone just seems to have a very hard time remembering just what kind of state that the club was in before the move to MK. There were all kinds of options proposed to try to keep the club in or near Wimbledon but none were viable. The fact is that they needed somewhere to play, where they wouldn't be losing bucket loads of cash renting a stadium. So what was the option if they didn't go to MK? Go completely bust, have no stadium and probably end up getting kicked out of the league to top it all off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Fair point.

By the way, I do hope that AFC are successful in making it into the league. It would make for a very unique derby match if the two clubs ever do get to play each other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭p.pete

Despatch wrote:
    By the way, I do hope that AFC are successful in making it into the league. It would make for a very unique derby match if the two clubs ever do get to play each other.
    Really? Liverpool splintered off from Everton...

p.pete wrote:
    Really? Liverpool splintered off from Everton...

Ok then, how about I say 'interesting' instead of 'unique' to keep you happy? :rolleyes:

Despatch wrote:

It would not be a derby match as such...not in the strictest sense.

Dub13 wrote:
    It would not be a derby match as such...not in the strictest sense.

Well it would be one hell of a grudge match. Anyway, the way MK are playing these days I'd say AFC could probably beat them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭Benedict XVI

Despatch wrote:
    Charles Coppell has nothing to do with the club, Pete Winklelman is now the chairman. Everyone just seems to have a very hard time remembering just what kind of state that the club was in before the move to MK. There were all kinds of options proposed to try to keep the club in or near Wimbledon but none were viable. The fact is that they needed somewhere to play, where they wouldn't be losing bucket loads of cash renting a stadium. So what was the option if they didn't go to MK? Go completely bust, have no stadium and probably end up getting kicked out of the league to top it all off.

Good point, people seem to think that history and tradition are the most important aspect of a club while in real life it's the day to day running and making ends meet and what the future looks like.
    If a club has to re-locate to a new area to stay alive then that's just a fact of life and MK Dons will not be the first.

Good point people, people seem to think that history and tradition are the most important aspect of a club while in real life it's the day to day running and making ends meet and what the future looks like.
    If a club has to re-locate to a few area to stay alive then that's just a fact of life and AK Dons will not be the first.

Shamrock Rovers are our domestic equivalent to some extent. I just hope MK Dons new stadium doesn't go the way of Rovers.

• Advertisement

I hope both AFC Wimbledon and FC United do well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,294 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kingp35

what league are AFC Wimbledon in at the moment?

Kingp35 wrote:

This explains it nicely:

http://www.squarefootball.net/article/inbrief.asp?iid=1328

Kingp35 wrote:

Ryman League, Premier Division

Dub13 wrote:
    I hope both AFC Wimbledon and FC United do well.

To be honest I'd say the Conference may be the limit of their ambitions.

As the article above say they are now mixing it with a better quality teams and it looks like the play-offs will be their only route up this year (currently in 5th 12 pts behind leaders Hampton & Richmond Borough).
    The futher they go the harder it will get and without a cash injection they could wallow forever in and below the conference.
    If they do get into the football league will they have a ground good enough ?. If not they'll probably have to move somewhere else and then you'll have the pissed off fans setting up 'AFC Wimbeldon AFC' or something...

Then agin if MK Dons don't get a stadium that will attaract people and money they could well end up in or below the conference.

I know nothing of FC United or what league they are in and to be honest their reason for existance is a lot less credible than that of AFC Wimbeldon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Despatch wrote:
    Shamrock Rovers are our domestic equivalent to some extent. I just hope MK Dons new stadium doesn't go the way of Rovers.

Not really. Wimbledon moved out of their traditional home in search of a bigger fanbase and more money. Rover's were forced out of their's by a greedy thieving bastard (Louis Kil****e) and still play in their traditional home - Dublin. It would be like Shelbourne voluntarily moving to Kilkenny.

Then agin if MK Dons don't get a stadium that will attaract people and money they could well end up in or below the conference.

MK Dons are well progressed in building their new stadium - I believe it should be ready for the start of next season.

Not really. Wimbledon moved out of their traditional home in search of a bigger fanbase and more money. Rover's were forced out of their's by a greedy thieving bastard (Louis Kil****e) and still play in their traditional home - Dublin. It would be like Shelbourne voluntarily moving to Kilkenny.

As Despatch said above it was a case of move or go out of business, there was very little voluntary about it.

Wimbledon moved from their tradition home (Plough Lane because the ground wasn't up to League standards. They had to ground share with Crystal Palace while they were trying to get permission from Merton Council to redevelop Plough Lane or possibly build a new stadium on Wimbledon Common. When they were refused permission for that, they were basically screwed. So their move was not voluntary as you suggested. It was the clubs only viable option to stay in (some form) of existence.

• Advertisement

Despatch wrote:
    MK Dons are well progressed in building their new stadium - I believe it should be ready for the start of next season.

Just saw it on the website, looks good, best of luck to them with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭speriamo

Dub13 wrote:
    If only we got the Dublin Dons back in the mid 90s :eek:

Posts and threads like this prove that you haven't a clue.:rolleyes: You are in Dublin not england.

And then Rovers are the domestic equivalent of MK Dons?:rolleyes: Oh dear oh dear:(

speriamo wrote:
    Posts and threads like this prove that you haven't a clue.:rolleyes: You are in Dublin not england.

It was a joke....thats why I used this face :eek:

You need to relax abit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭speriamo

Dub13 wrote:
    It was a joke....thats why I used this face :eek:

You need to relax abit.

Get down to dalymount tonight and you'll see plenty of relaxed Hoopers!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,163 ✭✭✭Slash/ED

speriamo wrote:
    Get down to dalymount tonight and you'll see plenty of relaxed Hoopers!

I'd imagine they'd be many things, but relaxed isn't one of them :)

Advertisement