Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Proliferating Spars and Centras

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,024 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Londis is a funny one. Everyone thinks they originated in Ireland but Londis came from London District Stores and there are 2 entities called Londis in existence today. Musgrave appear to own the original UK one and as SS says ADM Londis own the irish one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

You learn something everyday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

What about the oft-forgotten Gala?

You can pretty much sum up the contents of your typical Centra or Spar and there's not much of a difference between the two of them; Cuisine de France bread, Wolf Blass wines, generic and samey sandwich filling along with any and every gossip mag under the sun - not to mention flakey sausage rolls and dried out fillers for breakfast toasties.

I live in Ranelagh and it took a new Superquinn in the neighbourhood for both Centra and Spar to up their game with revamped stores and, in the case of Spar, a more innovative product line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

murphaph wrote: »
    Londis is a funny one. Everyone thinks they originated in Ireland but Londis came from London District Stores and there are 2 entities called Londis in existence today. Musgrave appear to own the original UK one and as SS says ADM Londis own the irish one.

Musgrave bought the Londis UK brand about 4 years ago, they also own Budgens making the UK branch of Musgrave called MBL (Musgrave Budgens Londis)

I find the opening statements re Tesco coming into the convenience market and blowing the competition away from 2005 very interesting. While i have no doubt they will achieve a significant share over time, the convenience offering in the UK is a joke in most instances(stack high and cheap) and it'll be another 5 years before they make any headway until they change the Xpress offer to something original and not the supermarket cut down.

Why is this in consumer issues btw?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,322 ✭✭✭Hitchhiker's Guide to...

interesting thread, but not a consumer issue! Let's close this now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭stevoman

centra and spar.... a scurge on modern ireland!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,146 ✭✭✭oneweb

Managed to get this opened and moved, 'cos I actually think it's quite interesting!
    murphaph wrote: »
    ferdi wrote: »
    wait till the tesco minimarts come to ireland in force, centra and spar will be out on their ears. give it 18 months.
    What's that ferdi? :D
    Tesco Express, Talbot Street. Work in progress as of yesterday afternoon when I went past. As if there weren't enough shops along that street already!

They're looking for staff

It is what it's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 171 ✭✭tippbhoy

oneweb wrote: »
    Managed to get this opened and moved, 'cos I actually think it's quite interesting!

Tesco Express, Talbot Street. Work in progress as of yesterday afternoon when I went past. As if there weren't enough shops along that street already!

They're looking for staff

Yeah it'll be interesting to see how it goes along with the other 3 SPARs on that street :rolleyes:

Tesco Metro will have a decent enough offer, small supermarket, good demand in high density areas such as the inner city areas.

Stevoman, we live in a free world, why are these shops a scurge, if you don't like them then go somewhere else. Basic supply v demand, they offer a service that people pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 SGTdewdew

These Spar's /Londis / Centras 'convenience' shops are only 'convenient'
    if you live close to one. They charge twice what the product should retail
    at - and they gobble up all the other shops in the hood within months.
    Fairview I know has just lost 4 shops to the s't'upid Value Minimart there -
    Even a big Londis disappeared under the mighty power of Irelands own
    BALL*MART. Give it a 2 years and TESco will be all we can get.
    Handy, seeing as you can now have a tesco wedding, a tesco mortgage,
    car loan, insurance, holiday, petrol, clothing, food, DIY,
    electrical, white goods and even a TESCO FUNERAL . . .
    Soylent green anyone? :eek:

so, if ye don't like it... hit them where it hurts... right in the fiscal
    nut-sack - boycott the stores you want to see vanish, don't shop
    there, dont give them a single cent of your cash, never even look in
    them, ask fiends and family to do the same 'just for for the goof'...
    :rolleyes:

foshizzle........

Advertisement